Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ray Thomas[_2_] Ray Thomas[_2_] is offline

Default interesting new Sennheiser mic

I came across this new twin diaphragm Sennheiser mic tonight..I assume it's
a reasonably recent arrival ? Seems to have selectable directivity via 2
carefully matched capsules in the one casing, which theoretically would
allow post-production variation of directivity pickup. Is this the ultimate
in "fix it in the mix" ?
Pdf manual is he
http://www.sennheiserfrance.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/resources/MKH_800_Twin_US.pdf/$File/MKH_800_Twin_US.pdf
I'm sure the price is quite formidable ....
Ray

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Ray Thomas wrote:
I came across this new twin diaphragm Sennheiser mic tonight..I assume it's
a reasonably recent arrival ? Seems to have selectable directivity via 2
carefully matched capsules in the one casing, which theoretically would
allow post-production variation of directivity pickup. Is this the ultimate
in "fix it in the mix" ?

This microphone is the follow-on to the MKH-80 adjustable-directivity
microphone. Like the MKH-80, it has RF electronics rather than a normal
electrometer circuit, and like the MKH-80 it uses a very small capsule
with two diaphragms that are very carefully tensioned for a good null in
figure-8 mode.

But, unlike the MKH-80, it is designed for flat response well into the
ultrasonic region, and most of the electronics have been put into ceramic
hybrids inside.

The "Twin" version produces two outputs, one from each half of the
capsule, so the pattern can be adjusted remotely. This concept was
pioneered fifty years ago with the AKG C-24 (which did actually use
two capsules to do the job). The Josephson Series Seven microphones
can be ordered with remote pattern control as well.

Pdf manual is he
http://www.sennheiserfrance.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/resources/MKH_800_Twin_US.pdf/$File/MKH_800_Twin_US.pdf
I'm sure the price is quite formidable ....

It should be cheaper than the MKH-80 because it's easier to make the
electronics. The new MKH-8040 is definitely cheaper than the old MKH-40.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising[_2_] Roy W. Rising[_2_] is offline

http://www.sennheiserfrance.com/senn...urces/MKH_800_
Twin_US.pdf/$File/MKH_800_Twin_US.pdf I'm sure the price is quite
formidable .... Ray

Interesting idea. Questionable but manageable response chart. $3000.00!
I think I'll stick with EV RE15s.

--
~
~ Roy