Posted to rec.audio.car
ElGalanazo

Default Input Sensitivity Settings on amps.

I just got me a Boss PD-4000 and am trying to set the settings before I hook
it up to my car and fry it or set my car in flames. My amp has a
"push-botton" for input Sensitivity Settings "Push" setting is for 100mV-2V.
Pull is for 2V-8V. Can somebody explain what these settings are for and what
exactly each setting means? Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F

Never heard of a "push-button" sensitivity selector on an amp. Weird.

Anyway, I'm assuming that if your head unit output voltage is less than 2
volts, then you should choose the 100mV-2V setting. More than 2V and choose
the 2V-8V one. What if you're amp is 2V? I suspect that either setting
won't damage anything, but it will affect how much you have to turn the
volume up on your HU to get a desired volume.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

2006 Mustang GT Coupe

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

"Tony F" wrote in message
Never heard of a "push-button" sensitivity selector on an amp. Weird.

Anyway, I'm assuming that if your head unit output voltage is less than 2
volts, then you should choose the 100mV-2V setting. More than 2V and
choose the 2V-8V one. What if you're amp is 2V? I suspect that either
setting won't damage anything, but it will affect how much you have to
turn the volume up on your HU to get a desired volume.

No, I've never heard of a push button sensitivity knob either. Usually
(like on my SS amp for instance), there will be a switch marked
100mV-2V/2V-8V and that will determine the range of your sensitivity dial.
This is obviously what that is, just done as a push-button thing.

I always start with the sensitivity switch set very low (like to the very
minimum). I then set my HU to 3/4 full-blast (on my Alpine, which goes from
0-35 on the volume control, I set it to 27), play some music that's recorded
LOUD, and I slowly turn up the gains on the amp until I reach a point JUST
below the beginning of clipping, or in the case of my current system, just
below the point where my ears bleed.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion

MOSFET wrote:
"Tony F" wrote in message

Never heard of a "push-button" sensitivity selector on an amp. Weird.

Anyway, I'm assuming that if your head unit output voltage is less than 2
volts, then you should choose the 100mV-2V setting. More than 2V and
choose the 2V-8V one. What if you're amp is 2V? I suspect that either
setting won't damage anything, but it will affect how much you have to
turn the volume up on your HU to get a desired volume.

No, I've never heard of a push button sensitivity knob either. Usually
(like on my SS amp for instance), there will be a switch marked
100mV-2V/2V-8V and that will determine the range of your sensitivity dial.
This is obviously what that is, just done as a push-button thing.

I would suspect it's intended as a line/speaker toggle...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0611-1, 03/16/2006
Tested on: 3/16/2006 8:59:37 AM

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mike S

Find out your model of Head Unit, do a google search for the pre out
voltage. If you didn't spend too much cash on it, it's probably 2v. Set
your amp to 2V or greater, your sound will be VERY VERY low.. if you h/u is
2V or less.. when you flip it to 2V or less, you'll find your music much
louder, if your h/u is 2V or less. I'd check your head unit specs just to be
sure. I know i've done it on my soundstream and it hasn't affected
anything.

cheers
"Matt Ion" wrote in message