Posted to rec.audio.opinion
124

Default Recording Level

In message-ID: :

I wrote:

"Use metal or a high-quality high-bias tape, set the levels as high as
possible without causing objectionable distortion, and make sure you
are always using a clean deck."

I then supplied the following links:

http://www.mastersonaudio.com/tips/20030201.htm
http://www.mastersonaudio.com/audio/20041001.htm
--

Ruud Broens replied:

"I don't see Masters recommending recording at levels as high as
possible which is just as well, as that would make the recommendations
nonsense - so that must be your recommendation, 124 - baaad advice,
slick :-)"
--

"As anyone who has ever made a recording knows, the ideal is to adjust
the level so that the peaks are as high as possible without going 'into

http://www.soundstageav.com/mastersonaudio.html

Ruud, you are wrong. Baaad advice, slick. :-)

--124

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW

124 wrote:

"As anyone who has ever made a recording knows, the ideal is to adjust
the level so that the peaks are as high as possible without going 'into
the red.' This will be high enough to minimize noise, but not so high
as to cause distortion."

http://www.soundstageav.com/mastersonaudio.html

Ruud, you are wrong. Baaad advice, slick. :-)

--124

Are you guys talking cassette? Cuz in IME with cassette recording
and using dolby b or c, and a good peak reading meter, the best
results come with peaks about +2db... I'm sure this adds some
distortion but I don't find it noticeable and really helps the S/N
ratio which I find to be the most troubling issue with cassette.
When I added Dbx noise reduction to my setup... I found I could record
with peaks just at O or slightly below and still have very good low
noise.. no noticeable hiss.

When I had a reel to reel (with dolby B) ... S/N wasn't such an issue
and I found no reason to push the levels even at a measly 3 3/4 IPS
tape speed.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
124

ScottW wrote:

124 wrote:

"As anyone who has ever made a recording knows, the ideal is to adjust
the level so that the peaks are as high as possible without going 'into
the red.' This will be high enough to minimize noise, but not so high
as to cause distortion."

http://www.soundstageav.com/mastersonaudio.html

Ruud, you are wrong. Baaad advice, slick. :-)

Are you guys talking cassette?

Yes, but this also applies to analogue reel-to-reel.

Cuz in IME with cassette recording
and using dolby b or c, and a good peak reading meter, the best
results come with peaks about +2db...

It could depend on the quality of the tape.

I'm sure this adds some
distortion but I don't find it noticeable and really helps the S/N
ratio which I find to be the most troubling issue with cassette.

Yes this could be a problem when dubbing from CDs and using only Dolby
B.

When I added Dbx noise reduction to my setup... I found I could record
with peaks just at O or slightly below and still have very good low
noise.. no noticeable hiss.

Yes, dbx is capable of very low noise.

When I had a reel to reel (with dolby B) ... S/N wasn't such an issue
and I found no reason to push the levels even at a measly 3 3/4 IPS
tape speed.

Signal-to-noise is not that big of a problem with reel-to-reel compared
to cassette. Relatively speaking of course.

--124

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Ruud Broens

"124" wrote in message
oups.com...
: In message-ID: :
:
: I wrote:
:
: "Use metal or a high-quality high-bias tape, set the levels as high as
: possible without causing objectionable distortion, and make sure you
: are always using a clean deck."
:
: I then supplied the following links:
:
: http://www.mastersonaudio.com/tips/20030201.htm
: http://www.mastersonaudio.com/audio/20041001.htm
: --
:
: Ruud Broens replied:
:
: "I don't see Masters recommending recording at levels as high as
: possible which is just as well, as that would make the recommendations
: nonsense - so that must be your recommendation, 124 - baaad advice,
: slick :-)"
: --
:
+ "As anyone who has ever made a recording knows, the ideal is to adjust
: the level so that the peaks are as high as possible without going 'into
: the red.' This will be high enough to minimize noise, but not so high
: as to cause distortion."
:
: http://www.soundstageav.com/mastersonaudio.html
:
: Ruud, you are wrong. Baaad advice, slick. :-)
:
: --124

12 weeks, 4 days later found that old thread again ?
the qualification "without going 'into the red'" makes all the difference,
as high as possible is of course somewhat subjective but is usually taken
as several dB 'into the red' with analog recordings (on 456 1/2" tape
+ 9 dB ref to 250 nWb is possible).
so ?

of course, +this is about studio recording, not cassette recorders with
dolby B/C
R.