Michael Kiss

Default ROTEL RA-1062 enters protection mode at half volume control position?

Hello everybody,

Four months ago I purchased a Rotel RA-1062 and a pair of
Bowers-Wilkins 604-S3 speakers. To start with something that may be a
problem, the amplifier is rated 2x60, while the speakers are 200 each.
The speakers are single-wired with Monster cables.

Okay, as sources, these were not upgraded up to now - I have a
Technics AZ-7 casette player (a very good-sounding machine, film-head
technology etc) and a non-fantastic-at-all Technics CD-changer, but
which worked with no problem up to now.

The integrated amplifier barely has 30 hours on it. For two weeks now
(having moved my equip in a basement, which is cold and dry btw) I
started listening at half-volume control position. Well, on certain
(but enough) CD-s the amplifier appears to enter protection for 3-10
seconds that is the sound completely stops, then resumes for a few
seconds, then stops again and so on until I reduce the volume. On
certain tracks I can reproduce this on the volume control turned to
hour 11 for example, so significantly less than half volume.

Now, I tried to do some investivation on my own. Overheating? Well, it
sits directly on the cold floor, nothing on top of it. I do not have a
power conditioner, just regular grounded outlet. Does the CD skip
(because at the first moment this is what I thought of)? I've changed
the source to tape, the same interruptions appeared (listening to some
heavily orchestrated music like "No Doubt" for example).

Now the tricky part. I tried running the CD changer through the AZ-7
tape player, through monitoring, and I remarked the CD-s on which the
Rotel enters protection apparently are recorded with a higher signal
level (the signal level indicators on the tape player's monitoring
system stay on the red area 80% of the time). Manually decreasing the
signal on the tape monitor (which decreases the signal level that's
fed on to the amplifier appeared to cure the problem! no more
interruptions! I could go near the maximum with the volume control
with sound levels apparently higher than those obtained before when
the volume control was at half position but the signal was not
decreased by the tape monitor.

What can that be? How am suppose to cure it? Could it be something
with the preamplifier section of the integrated, which does not level
(should that be done???) the signal it is fed with? Or with the power
amplification section? Do you think switching to a Rotel pre+power
(RC-1070 + RB-1070) will cure this? Of course, I could also replace
the old Technics CD-changer with the Rotel CD-player (1072), but I
don't feel like spending when I'm not certain it will work, plus it
will continue to fail while fed with signal from the AZ-7 casette
player.

Well, I hope somebody here can enlighten me. Thank you!

Michael.
Uptown Audio

Reducing the signal level or dynamic range of the CD is the same as
turning down the volume level on the amp. The amp can't handle the
loudspeakers load and was a poor choice. You can replace the speakers
with something more efficient and with a more stable, higher impedance
or get another, more capable amplifier. Although I am not a fan of the
B&W sound, the speakers are not the weakest link there.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Michael Kiss" wrote in message
[...]

Robert C. Lang

There is little doubt you need more power, probably a 200 watt amp
into 8 ohms. I believe that B&W overstates (a bit more that other
manufacturers) the sensitivity ratings of their speakers.

By the way, I have heard those puppies and they are among the *very*
few B&W speakers that I have found pleasing to listen to. I was
impressed. They have a good low end plus I believe that I could enjoy
listening to them for extended periods. And they are moderately
priced. If I wanted to build a music surround (not HT) system on a
medium sized budget I would certainly consider 5 of the 604-S3's with
a matched sub(s).

Robert C. Lang

Volume Control ... Harry Muscle Tech 81 June 22nd 04 07:48 PM
Volume Control ... Harry Muscle General 15 June 15th 04 11:32 PM
Alpine MRV-F540 - Protection Mode ? Gary Rodgers Car Audio 1 March 20th 04 05:25 PM
volume control & system possessed...very weird! Richard Crowley Tech 6 October 6th 03 02:39 AM
Passive Volume Control (Passive Preamp) Info james mitchell High End Audio 0 July 19th 03 06:04 AM