Posted to rec.audio.misc
Brian Parker

Default Looking at Mirage, what is comparable?

In the very near future, I will be in the market for:

1) An Amp / Receiver
2) Speakers for the living room and kitchen

To level-set - I'm no audiophile but I'm not tin earred. I enjoy a
large variation of music at all volume levels and whatever solution I go
with needs to be able to do a good job of reproducing music at all
frequencies from the very lows to the piercing highs.

The solution also needs to be a quality home theater system for 5.1
surround. We will soon have some sort of LCD or Plasma TV in the
entertainment center.

The setup I'm currently looking at is:

1) Denon deck ( can't remember the model at the moment ) 7.1 2-room
dual-source, etc.
2) Mirage Omnisat Center channel
3) 2 x Mirage Omnisat Floor Speakers
4) 2 x Mirage Omnisat Sattelite Speakers
5) Mirage 10" or 12" Sub

that's for the living room.

For the other 2 channels, I'm looking at some ceiling mounted speakers
for the kitchen. I don't have the make / models handy, and these really
aren't that important to me right now - just keep in mind I need those
channels reserved.

I think I need a deck that does 7.1 with dual source so I can send a
different signal to the kitchen than I'm sending to the living room.

Not counting the 2 kitchen speakers, I'm looking at $2k - $2.5k not
counting wiring for the items above, but I'd like to find another
solution that gives me close to the same quality for a little less. I've
listened to the Mirage's and am happy with the quality of sound the deliver.

We currently have a DVR, a DVD/VCR combo unit, and a computer just
serving MP3s in our entertainment center which will be used as audio inputs.

What suggestions do you have for spending a little less but not ending
up with junk?

Thanks,
-BEP