Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

Default SMPSU for heater supplies

I am building an audio mixer that uses 9 pairs of tubes and the heaters
take 12V at a total of 5.4 amps dc. I don't fancy building a single
6amp 12V linear regulator so as I see it I have a couple of choices.

1. Build nine separate 1 amp or 5 separate 2 amp regulators - a bit
cumbersome but workable.

2. Use an off the shelf 12V SMPSU. I have looked at a few examples. Most
seems to switch at around 25KHz and at rated current have about 200mV pp
ripple on the output (content unspecified but I bet there's some 25KHz
in there).

As a low cost, small size way of achieving what I want an SMPSU seems
the way to go but this 25KHz power circuit worries me. OK, the PSU will
be in a separate screened box some way from the mixer's sensitive
circuits but still am am a little concerned.

Anyone have any experience of using SMPSUs for heater supplies in low
level audio or any other comments or ideas??

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Ian Bell wrote:

[...]

Syntax could do with some remedial work.

I'm surprised that higher frequency SMPS are not available
to suit your application. In general, somewhere around
100kHz seems to be very common, perhaps because of the speed
of available semiconductors at the time when SMPS became
ubiquitous.

It's quite likely that the ripple fundamental is twice the
switching frequency, due to rectification. The difference in
your case could be significant.

It may also be worth checking that the frequency is fixed.
Some SMPS use a constant pulse width and variable frequency,
rather than vice-versa as appears to be most common.

Even with fixed frequency, the varying pulse width leads to
some ripple at frequencies unrelated to the fundamental.

If you are thinking of using a large input cap as part of a
filter, you might check that the SMPS can cope with that
kind of load.

I would consider using the innards of a battery charger, and
either modify or post-filter/regulate to get 12.6V.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian Iveson wrote:
Ian Bell wrote:

[...]

I was surprised too, but the small survey of 60VA and over 12V OEM
supplies at Farnell and RS all cited a 25KHz switching frequency.

It's quite likely that the ripple fundamental is twice the
switching frequency, due to rectification. The difference in
your case could be significant.

It may also be worth checking that the frequency is fixed.
Some SMPS use a constant pulse width and variable frequency,
rather than vice-versa as appears to be most common.

Even with fixed frequency, the varying pulse width leads to
some ripple at frequencies unrelated to the fundamental.

If you are thinking of using a large input cap as part of a
filter, you might check that the SMPS can cope with that
kind of load.

Yes I noticed that too. Quite a few specified a maximum capacitive load
of just a few thousand uF.

I would consider using the innards of a battery charger, and
either modify or post-filter/regulate to get 12.6V.

Ian

Someone else suggested that but I am not quite sure why unless the idea
was for a source of a cheap high current 12V transformer. Given the
light duty cycle of a charger and the low cost I am not that keen on one
as a source of a heater transformer. Toroids are cheap enough.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Matron Matron is offline

On 11 July, 18:13, Ian Bell wrote:
[...]

Hi
Check out the amateur radio suppliers. Several 20A SM supplies with
adjustable voltage and switching frequency are available.

Regards
Todd
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Ian wrote:

I would consider using the innards of a battery charger,
and either modify or post-filter/regulate to get 12.6V.

Someone else suggested that but I am not quite sure why
unless the idea was for a source of a cheap high current
12V transformer. Given the light duty cycle of a charger
and the low cost I am not that keen on one as a source of
a heater transformer. Toroids are cheap enough.

I had in mind an SM lead-acid battery charger able to
deliver at least 6A continuously, as would be required for a
medium-sized car battery for example. At board level, these
are manufactured in large enough numbers to be relatively
cheap. You may be able to adjust the voltage, or you can
lose the excess 1.2V (charger V is usually 13.8) in
post-regulation or RC filtering.

Now I've looked, the price looks quite steep to me, and
typical efficiency of around 75% isn't great. Neither can I
find boards available retail. Complete chargers have fancy
features to justify the high price compared to the
traditional linear examples.

Todd's suggestion may be better.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Matron Matron is offline

On 17 July, 18:48, "Ian Iveson"
wrote:
Ian wrote:
[...]

The amateur radio SMPs are designed for use adjacent to sensitive
radio equipment so they should do a fine job. If you do consider using
one you can find reviews etc on the various ham radio forums, Just
google the model etc.

Hope this helps
Todd

Heater connection Alex Vacuum Tubes 28 April 15th 08 05:34 PM
Heater voltage Rick Ralston Vacuum Tubes 18 February 20th 05 08:43 PM
low voltage high current heater supplies bill ramsay Vacuum Tubes 12 May 25th 04 03:55 PM
Minimising the heater hum ? Aku Ankka Vacuum Tubes 4 April 8th 04 01:37 AM