Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Heusser

Default Which CD/DVD's to archive long term

What is the current wisdom on long term (10y, eg 50 or 100y) storage of
music (pictures etc too) as CD's or DVD's go?
eg which brands, which technologies (CD or DVD, gold plated etc)?

TIA

Marc

--
Switzerland/Europe
http://www.heusser.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"Marc Heusser" wrote ...
What is the current wisdom on long term (10y, eg 50 or 100y)
storage of music (pictures etc too) as CD's or DVD's go?
eg which brands, which technologies (CD or DVD, gold plated etc)?

My current practice is to buy known-good (i.e. not re-branded
counterfeits) brands like Taiyo-Yuden and re-copy them every
3-5 years. I have no faith in the long-term "projected lifetimes"
claimed by manufacturers.

Gold plated might have some long-term value, but I'm not willing
to do the "experiment" on MY live data.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
James Perrett

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 10:29:19 +0100, Marc Heusser
alid wrote:

What is the current wisdom on long term (10y, eg 50 or 100y) storage of
music (pictures etc too) as CD's or DVD's go?
eg which brands, which technologies (CD or DVD, gold plated etc)?

Mitsui's offshoots (MAM-A and MAM-E) claim the longest lifespan (200
years) but their discs also have comparitively high initial error rates.
Whether you accept their claims depends on how much you trust accelerated
ageing tests. I've seen independent accelerated ageing tests that appear
to support Mitsui's claims but these tests may not catch all the
mechanisms that occur during ageing.

I have a few 10 year old T-Y discs that still show low error rates but
they don't come out as well in these ageing tests at around 80 years
predicted lifespan.

Cheers

James.