John

Default Jl 500/1 vs. Alpine 500 watt mono block

Hi,

Has anyone had experience with both of these amps before? Here's my
situation:

I currently have a JL 300/4 powering my Alpine and Pioneer (ugh)
speakers in the cab, and a RF 700.2 bridged powering my Kicker SB L7
12" (sealed box). A couple days ago the sub stopped working, and I
think it's probably the end of the RF amp (I checked the fuses and
they're fine and I'm having the store I had them installed with look
at it the week after next). If indeed it is a dead amp, I'm looking
to upgrade. Most of the music I listen to doesn't require a lot of
bass so for most applications I'm looking for quality over quantity.
The RF did ok most of the time but I think the SB can perform better
than I've heard so far. The store I bought the stuff from first time
is charging $550 for the JL and $500 for the Alpine. So my questions

1) Will there really be a noticable difference?
2) Are these prices competitive?
3) Does the fact that I have other alpine equipment (head unit,
components) make a difference?

Thanks!

John
Paul Vina

If your sub stopped working and the fuses are good why on God's green Earth
do you go right to the amp and blame it? If the sub's not working, check
the SUB first. If the sub is good then you go through piece by piece until
you find the bad component not just blindly replace them until you get it
right.
I would go with the JL. It's a great amp and it'll match your 300/4. The
shop should easily be able to come down on that price as well. 500/1's are
on eBay regularly for $400. I'm not saying they'll go THAT low, but they
have a lot more leeway that you'd think.

Paul Vina

m...