Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

Default Ready......Aim......

Fire!
http://tinyurl.com/ohjohsx

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

"polymod" wrote in message ...

Fire!
http://tinyurl.com/ohjohsx

Poly

Did someone pay you to post this?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 2:21:32 PM UTC-4, polymod wrote:
Fire!
http://tinyurl.com/ohjohsx

Poly

OMG..

Did you try the AB comparison..

IMHO, the A (unmastered) version sounds pretty good.

The B (mastered version) is smashed to H*** and back.

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message ...

Did someone pay you to post this?

Oh my God no.

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"polymod" wrote in message ...

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message ...

Did someone pay you to post this?

Oh my God no.

Poly

I would have thought that a piano tuner could do a better job at mastering
then some random piece of software.

That's all. Just wondering where this is coming from.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"polymod" wrote in message ...

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message ...

Did someone pay you to post this?

Oh my God no.

Just to clarify, since you seemed to miss my humor, the "ready, aim, fire"
was for the perceived salvo of artillery to be heaved on the subject by
folks who obviously know better.

:-)
Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"polymod" wrote in message ...

"polymod" wrote in message ...

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message ...

Did someone pay you to post this?

Oh my God no.

Just to clarify, since you seemed to miss my humor, the "ready, aim, fire"
was for the perceived salvo of artillery to be heaved on the subject by
folks who obviously know better.

:-)
Poly

Bugger.

Seems the British can't recognise irony from other nations when appropriate!

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 3:28:25 PM UTC-4, Gareth Magennis wrote:
"polymod" wrote in message ...

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message ...

Did someone pay you to post this?

Oh my God no.

Poly

I would have thought that a piano tuner could do a better job at mastering
then some random piece of software.

That's all. Just wondering where this is coming from.

Gareth.

"LANDR is a tool designed by sound engineers".

Sound? Maybe it means they are free from flaw, defect, or decay!!!

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:

I would have thought that a piano tuner could do a better job at mastering
then some random piece of software.

Yes.

That's all. Just wondering where this is coming from.

From the same train of thought that brought you automatic room-tuning
software.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBt6APk21tU

Gareth.

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message ...

Gareth Magennis wrote:

I would have thought that a piano tuner could do a better job at mastering
then some random piece of software.

Yes.

That's all. Just wondering where this is coming from.

From the same train of thought that brought you automatic room-tuning
software.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Quote from that video:

"I don't think you will see much from Chopin that is written in C major"

Gareth.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 5:56:55 PM UTC-4, Gareth Magennis wrote:
Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBt6APk21tU

He missed notes.

Watch this one. Geoff needs not watch, he never discovered this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-QPhMIv4pM

Jack

Gareth Magennis wrote:

I would have thought that a piano tuner could do a better job at mastering
then some random piece of software.

Yes.

That's all. Just wondering where this is coming from.

From the same train of thought that brought you automatic room-tuning
software.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:

I would have thought that a piano tuner could do a better job at mastering
then some random piece of software.

Yes.

Why, thank you!
;-)

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"JackA" wrote in message

On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 5:56:55 PM UTC-4, Gareth Magennis wrote:
Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBt6APk21tU

He missed notes.

Watch this one. Geoff needs not watch, he never discovered this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-QPhMIv4pM

Jack

Ha, I seem to remember chastising your mixes a while back because of their
high content around the Ouchy 3.15kHz.
Seems you don't do that so much any more.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"JackA" wrote in message

On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 5:56:55 PM UTC-4, Gareth Magennis wrote:
Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBt6APk21tU

He missed notes.

Yes, but the whole point of that video is to show that a lot of classical
music was actually written using different tunings.
So what you hear today, using Equal Temperament tuning, is not what was
actually intended by the composer at all.

Dunno, I find this subject quite fascinating.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"JackA" wrote in message

On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 5:56:55 PM UTC-4, Gareth Magennis wrote:
Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBt6APk21tU

He missed notes.

Yes, but the whole point of that video is to show that a lot of classical
music was actually written using different tunings.
So what you hear today, using Equal Temperament tuning, is not what was
actually intended by the composer at all.

Dunno, I find this subject quite fascinating.

Gareth.

Oh, just one more thing on the subject:

If you are a guitarist, you would probably tune your strings to be perfect
4ths or 5ths. E, A, A, D, D, G, B, E.

You would NEVER do this on a piano, or you would find some notes
rereconcilable.
(From experience, the open B guitar string always has the problem here)

If tuning for Equal Temperament, every 5th should be tuned slightly flat,
and every 4th slightly sharp.

Gareth.

4

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message ...

snip

Yes, but the whole point of that video is to show that a lot of classical
music was actually written using different tunings.
So what you hear today, using Equal Temperament tuning, is not what was
actually intended by the composer at all.

Thank you....I've been telling folks that for years.
I remember when I was a teen, before I became a piano tuner and had no idea
of how to tune a piano using equal temperament.
My buddy owned an antique store and had an old piano. Since I was the guy
with the "dog ears", he recruited me to tuner her up.
Heck, I figured this was going to be easy....4 hours later the thing sounded
horrible, but to my amazement it was playable in one key. The one that I was
basing all my perfect 4ths and 5ths from.
Of course the other keys sounded absolutely horrible.

but you're right......we'd have to tune the piano for each composition in
order for it to sound as intended.
Would be good for my businessg

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

"JackA" wrote in message

[...]

Maybe why I chose to play drums rather than guitar and piano!!

3.15 kHz? I'm out of tune!!

But when you get the mix just right, you begin to hear studio noise that wasn't there before!!...

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps.../longtrain.mp3

Thanks for the info!!

Jack

Gareth.

4

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 5:56:55 PM UTC-4, Gareth Magennis wrote:
Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBt6APk21tU

Absolutely, and that's a big part of the whole original instrument movement.
The thing about the piano is that it isn't making pure tones, and that blurs
the effect and makes it less audible. On an organ or a harpsichord it is
even more dramatic.

I had a friend with three pianos who married a woman with four pianos and
they got a harpsichord as their wedding present. They used to keep them
tuned in several different temperaments since they were both bach addicts.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message ...

On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 5:56:55 PM UTC-4, Gareth Magennis wrote:
Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBt6APk21tU

Absolutely, and that's a big part of the whole original instrument movement.
The thing about the piano is that it isn't making pure tones, and that blurs
the effect and makes it less audible. On an organ or a harpsichord it is
even more dramatic.

I had a friend with three pianos who married a woman with four pianos and
they got a harpsichord as their wedding present. They used to keep them
tuned in several different temperaments since they were both bach addicts.
--scott

I'd be very interested in knowing if the tuner did this by ear.

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro

(Scott Dorsey) wrote:
On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 5:56:55 PM UTC-4, Gareth Magennis wrote:
Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBt6APk21tU

Absolutely, and that's a big part of the whole original instrument movement.
The thing about the piano is that it isn't making pure tones, and that blurs
the effect and makes it less audible. On an organ or a harpsichord it is
even more dramatic.

I had a friend with three pianos who married a woman with four pianos and
they got a harpsichord as their wedding present. They used to keep them
tuned in several different temperaments since they were both bach addicts.
--scott

This will be heresy, but... there exists temperament-changing software
for electronic keyboards. That would certainly be my preference rather
than maintaining seven pianos.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro

polymod wrote:

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message ...

On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 5:56:55 PM UTC-4, Gareth Magennis wrote:
Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBt6APk21tU

Absolutely, and that's a big part of the whole original instrument
movement.
The thing about the piano is that it isn't making pure tones, and that
blurs
the effect and makes it less audible. On an organ or a harpsichord it is
even more dramatic.

I had a friend with three pianos who married a woman with four pianos and
they got a harpsichord as their wedding present. They used to keep them
tuned in several different temperaments since they were both bach addicts.
--scott

I'd be very interested in knowing if the tuner did this by ear.

Poly

They really no longer have to do that. The electronic tuners
are unspeakably good these days and will allow you to specify exactly
what you want that is not Equal Temperament about the instrument.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 4/08/2015 8:49 AM, Les Cargill wrote:
I had a friend with three pianos who married a woman with four pianos and
they got a harpsichord as their wedding present. They used to keep them
tuned in several different temperaments since they were both bach
addicts.

This will be heresy, but... there exists temperament-changing software
for electronic keyboards. That would certainly be my preference rather
than maintaining seven pianos.

I'd do the same, but anyone with seven piano's probably thinks
electronic piano's ARE heresy! :-)

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 4/08/2015 8:51 AM, Les Cargill wrote:
They really no longer have to do that. The electronic tuners
are unspeakably good these days and will allow you to specify exactly
what you want that is not Equal Temperament about the instrument.

You've been able to do that for MANY decades of course using a simple
frequency counter if you calculate the frequencies you want.
(assuming you already know the traps of piano tuning of course)

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

I had a friend with three pianos who married a woman with four pianos
and they got a harpsichord as their wedding present.
They used to keep them tuned in several different temperaments
since they were both bach addicts.

I'd like the house that will fit seven piano's.
(not to mention the harpsichord)
And I bet at least one is a grand piano too!
Hope the harpsichord wasn't a 12ft! :-)

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor, et al:

PIANOS, not "piano's" when speaking
of multiple. What is WRONG with
Americans... !

Seen in Japanese restaurant in the
States: "Please remove your shoe's
when entering dining area."

sigh...
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

thekma @ dumb**** . shortbus . edu wrote in message
Trevor, et al:

PIANOS, not "piano's" when speaking
of multiple. What is WRONG with
Americans... !

While you were busy whining about punctuation, you made illiterate
misuse of ellipsis, spacing, and an exclamation point. And of course,
caps-lock bellowing.

Don't pretend you can school the grownups.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 5:43:50 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Trevor, et al:

PIANOS, not "piano's" when speaking
of multiple. What is WRONG with
Americans... !

Not sure, but they select the worst Presidents. I don't believe Trevor is American.

Jack

Seen in Japanese restaurant in the
States: "Please remove your shoe's
when entering dining area."

sigh...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Les Cargill" wrote in message ...

polymod wrote:

[...]

I've been a professional piano tuner for over 35 years, so I certainly know
of all the gadgets.
As a matter of fact, the person who taught me was a "box" tuner, but a good
one at that.
I started that way but eventually learned the ear method by a matter of
choice.
And many of my clients don't want to see a computer or a tuning device.
They want someone that does it by ear.

That being said, I know it's easy to do different temperaments using a
machine. My question is coming from a tuner's perspective.

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

polymod wrote:

[...]

I had a TV tuner, but now they are outdated!!! :-)

Jack

As a matter of fact, the person who taught me was a "box" tuner, but a good
one at that.
I started that way but eventually learned the ear method by a matter of
choice.
And many of my clients don't want to see a computer or a tuning device.
They want someone that does it by ear.

That being said, I know it's easy to do different temperaments using a
machine. My question is coming from a tuner's perspective.

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

polymod wrote:

[...]

you can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish.

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

polymod wrote:

[...]

LOL! Thanks, I needed that! :-)

Jack

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 5/08/2015 9:37 a.m., JackA wrote:
I had a TV tuner, but now they are outdated!!! :-) Jack

"More F# 7"

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 7:31:30 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
On 5/08/2015 9:37 a.m., JackA wrote:
I had a TV tuner, but now they are outdated!!! :-) Jack

"More F# 7"

F#maj 7 to you!!! They are known as Treble chords! See how quickly I learn!?

I went to a music store and asked for an electric guitar cord, he said music books are to the left!!

Jack (sad to read Billy Sherrill passed)

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 5/08/2015 12:06 p.m., JackA wrote:
On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 7:31:30 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
On 5/08/2015 9:37 a.m., JackA wrote:
I had a TV tuner, but now they are outdated!!! :-) Jack

"More F# 7"

F#maj 7 to you!!! They are known as Treble chords! See how quickly I learn!?

Not a chord, but a note number.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"JackA" wrote in message

[...]

Dunno about the right mix there, where's the drums and bass?
And you still have that 3.15kHz, and the rest of the top end, shoved down my
throat.

I'd much rather dance to this, puts a much greater smile on my face, and my
ears.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cViggFZFlxU

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

"JackA" wrote in message

[...]

Stop it, I did boost 3kHz some, but nothing to speak of. However, I did boost the bass many times, maybe upto 15 DB!! These MAY be remixed, but not a great job. Even some songs have too low lead vocals.

That's why John Williamson mentioned record companies would never play audio quality games, while I claim they do.

I'd much rather dance to this, puts a much greater smile on my face, and my
ears.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cViggFZFlxU

OMG, that's the Disco type remix on this very CD!! Would have done much better to rechart during the Disco era!! I thought, great, a "remix" version, 10 seconds longer than normal. Sadly, the word "remix" has nothing to do with remixing multi-tracks, it's merging new and old sounds!! You just like playing with my mind. The Lord will get you!!!

Jack

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[...]

Blimey Jack, my Mum still uses the word "Disco".

I bought this remix CD for the Sure is Pure remixes when it was released back in 1993.
Which makes it a Dance Music museum piece, not a Disco record mixing old and new sounds.

Back then you would record a real TR909 if you were remixing a track.

(Sounds kind of shonky today when compared with the kind of production qualities a 14 year old has in their bedroom nowadays)

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 6:31:30 AM UTC-4, gareth magennis wrote:
[...]

- She is a smart woman! Her son needs to pay more attention to her!

I bought this remix CD for the Sure is Pure remixes when it was released back in 1993.
Which makes it a Dance Music museum piece, not a Disco record mixing old and new sounds.

Back then you would record a real TR909 if you were remixing a track.

-- Sorry, I do not know what a TR909 is, but I learned (or Learnt, as you third-world countries communicate) it's a Roland keyboard!
-- Now I can sound like a PRO here!

(Sounds kind of shonky today when compared with the kind of production qualities a 14 year old has in their bedroom nowadays)

-- What I was trying to say, on Wikipedia, it mentions the "remix" charted, but that's it. To my ears, it would have done better if issued about during the latter '70's.

-- Thank you for understanding.

Jack

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"JackA" wrote in message

[...]

The TR909 is a drum machine that appeared on most Dance tunes in the early
90's onwards. Prior to that the TR808 was the goto drum machine.
I never really liked the 808, especially those silly cowbells that didn't
sound anything like one.
(Whitney Houston used them on "Somebody to love")

The 909 though was the key that opened up Dance Music to a whole new
generation.
Something about the Kick and Hi Hats was just perfect.
And you could give the Kick a long tail, which was basically a fixed
frequency sinewave at below 80Hz or so, which you could tune to match the
songs key to get some amazingly tuneful Sub on a big system.

Gareth.