Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tom Maddox

Default Audacity--shifting my voice in pitch

Hi,

I'm sure I'm doing something unspeakably dumb, novice that I am with
audio recording, but nonetheless ...

When I record my spoken voice in Audacity, the pitch is shifted upward
on playback. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Tom

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jeff Findley

"Tom Maddox" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I'm sure I'm doing something unspeakably dumb, novice that I am with
audio recording, but nonetheless ...

When I record my spoken voice in Audacity, the pitch is shifted upward
on playback. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Tom

It might help if you describe exactly what you are trying to do and exactly
which commands in Audacity you're using.

Audacity is a fairly powerful program that can do many things with respect
to increasing/decreasing the tempo of a WAV and it can do this with or
without maintaining the pitch of the original recording. Which commands you
use depend on what you're trying to do.

Jeff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
David Cull

Tom Maddox wrote:
Hi,

I'm sure I'm doing something unspeakably dumb, novice that I am with
audio recording, but nonetheless ...

When I record my spoken voice in Audacity, the pitch is shifted upward
on playback. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Tom

Check your sample-rate. Sounds like you're recording at 44.1kHz, and
playing back at 48kHz.

Cheers,
Dave~

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tom Maddox

Hi,

Okay, I'm not using effects or special commands that I know of. I have
a a guitar intro that I recorded at 44,000 hz, followed by a voice
intro at 44,000 hz, then a long voice track recorded from a phone
bridge--it's an MP3 file, 16,000 hz. All are set at 32-bit float
(whatever that is).

Both the voice tracks and guitar tracks play back between a half-tone
and a full-tone higher than they were recorded at--I just checked with
the guitar. I recorded the guitar in an entirely separate file and
didn't change anything from recording to playing back.

I hope that helps you diagnose what I'm doing.

Thanks again,

Tom