Default Signal path's

While reading an article in Mix Magazine today ("Ben Harper & The Blind
Boys of Alabama By David John Farinella Sep 1, 2004") @ Mixmag.com, I
read the following:

"The vocal chain for Harper and the Blind Boys started with Neumann
U47s running through either a Fairchild 670 compressor or an LA-2A into
the Neve console's mic pre's."

Am I missing something here? I don't think I've ever heard of a chain
that had the compressor before the Mic Pre. Is this even possible?
Wouldn't there be a mismatch between levels?

Thanks,

Mark

Scott Dorsey

Am I missing something here? I don't think I've ever heard of a chain
that had the compressor before the Mic Pre. Is this even possible?
Wouldn't there be a mismatch between levels?

That should just tell you to be VERY skeptical about what you read in
the magazines. Much of the technical information becomes incorrect after
it has gone through a few different people. Some of it deliberately so.
EricK

Scott Dorsey wrote:
That should just tell you to be VERY skeptical about what you read in
the magazines. Much of the technical information becomes incorrect after
it has gone through a few different people. Some of it deliberately so.
--scott

There seems to be more and more of these "obvious errors" being printed.
It makes me wonder sometimes if the writer has any idea what he/she
is really writing about, or are they just reporting?

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com
William Sommerwerck

Many times I've read magazine articles (even equipment reviews)
where I've wanted to be the editor and go back to the writer and
ask "Did you really mean that?" (or in the case of an interview
"Did he really say that? And did you think that it was correct?").

About 25 years ago I had a pleasant conversation with the then-editor of a
recording magazine, who admitted that he had little knowledge of the technical
side of recording. (No, I don't remember his name or the magazine, and if I did,
I wouldn't reveal them.)

Scott Dorsey

EricK wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
That should just tell you to be VERY skeptical about what you read in
the magazines. Much of the technical information becomes incorrect after
it has gone through a few different people. Some of it deliberately so.

There seems to be more and more of these "obvious errors" being printed.
It makes me wonder sometimes if the writer has any idea what he/she
is really writing about, or are they just reporting?

Of course not. Most of them are just reporting what they are told by the
producer who is reporting what he was told by the engineer twenty years ago.
Many of them don't understand the technology well enough to know more than
just the buzzwords. Some of them do, but they are in the minority.