Posted to rec.audio.pro
ChrisG ChrisG is offline

Default Auditronics 310

There are many positive references to Auditronics 100 and 500 consoles
on the net, but later series tend to be dismissed as broadcast junk.
I have a 24/8/2 Auditronics 310 in storage which Im thinking of
recommissioning (mostly for line level mixing). The project holds a lot
of promise; Ive got service manuals and even a spare 4 buss version for
parts. I saw it powered up years ago, so Im fairly confident that it
can be resurrected with a bit of futzing but I never heard it when it
was working. Moving, modifying, and troubleshooting this monster will
not be trivial.
The question: Is it sonically worth the effort? Has anyone here ever
worked on/with an Auditronics 300 series?

Similar to this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Auditr...p2047675.l2557

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/4/2019 3:16 PM, ChrisG wrote:
I have a 24/8/2 Auditronics 310 in storage which Im thinking of
recommissioning (mostly for line level mixing). The project holds a lot
of promise; Ive got service manuals and even a spare 4 buss version for
parts. I saw it powered up years ago, so Im fairly confident that it
can be resurrected with a bit of futzing but I never heard it when it
was working. Moving, modifying, and troubleshooting this monster will
not be trivial.
The question: Is it sonically worth the effort?

That's a pretty open question. The console is 40 or so years old, so
even if it were in brand new condition, it would sound "vintage." Is
this important? If not this console, what are your alternatives?

I predict that it will work somewhat when you power it up, but that
you'll find noisy faders, pots, and switches, and if you check it with
square waves, you'll find that it's in need of new electrolytic
capacitors in the signal path. At least it's modular, so you can work on
one channel at a time. But I'll tell you that I have a Soundcraft 600 of
about the same vintage (I bought it new in 1980) and it's just plain not
quiet enough for today's digital expectations.

Honestly, I think that, if it's really important, for the vibe, to be
working on a vintage-though-not-famous console, you shouldn't worry
about the sonics, but you'll have to put it in good enough shape so that
it sounds like it did when it was new. Then you'll have two projects,
not one.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
ChrisG ChrisG is offline

On 4/4/2019 5:18 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

hmmm well that didnt work ok, lets try this button
Jeez Im such a putz.  Mike, thank you for the wonderful anecdote
laden reply that no one else can see. Sorry, I had no intention of
taking it to private email. Im doing newsgroups in Thunderbird for the
first time; now I know Reply goes to email and is not tacked onto the
thread. Live and learn.

Anyway, to reiterate for anyone else who may be remotely interested or
helpful:

I think Ive already convinced myself to go through with the Auditronics
project unless:
there might be someone out there with first hand experience to warn me
if this thing was just a really well built turd, even when it was new.

Or, any suggestions for groups or forums where geriatric radio folk hang
out?

BTW: Mike, The VCAs are DBX2150a.
Cheers

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 07/04/2019 01:12, ChrisG wrote:

hmmm well that didnt work ok, lets try this button
Jeez Im such a putz. * Mike, thank you for the wonderful anecdote
laden reply that no one else can see. Sorry, I had no intention of
taking it to private email.* Im doing newsgroups in Thunderbird for the
first time; now I know Reply goes to email and is not tacked onto the
thread. Live and learn.

You might want to look at your settings. I just clicked on "reply" in
Thuderbird and the message came to the group.

You can also select where the post goes in the composition window, and
send copies to people in addition to posting on the newsgroup. Whe nyou
reply, check in the top pane and it should say "Newsgroup" in the reply
to field. There is a down pointing arrow at the left hand end of the
line containing the which opens a menu to select the destination.

Or, any suggestions for groups or forums where geriatric radio folk hang
out?

uk.tech.broadcast has a few ex-BBC technical bods on it and is fairly
lively.

rec.radio.broadcasting is still reasonably active, though I don't follow
it. alt.radio.broadcasting seems to have died...

Otherwise, join Facebook or search for a forum.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 07/04/2019 11:46, John Williamson wrote:
On 07/04/2019 01:12, ChrisG wrote:
You might want to look at your settings. I just clicked on "reply" in
Thuderbird and the message came to the group.

Snip

Sorry, finger trouble, that didn't make sense.

You can also select where the post goes in the composition window, and
send copies to people and other groups in addition to posting on the
newsgroup you are replying to.

When you reply, check in the top pane and just below the address you are
posting from, it should say "Newsgroup" in the destination field. There
is a down pointing arrow at the left hand end of the line containing the
address which opens a menu to select the destination. To send to other
destinations as well, then click just below the "Newsgroup" legend, and
it will open another address line.

Or, any suggestions for groups or forums where geriatric radio folk
hang out?

uk.tech.broadcast has a few ex-BBC technical bods on it and is fairly
lively.

Checking rec.radio.broadcasting and alt.radio.broadcasting, they both
seem to be entirely bots posting program guides. Sorry, 'bout that.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/4/2019 3:16 PM, ChrisG wrote:
I have a 24/8/2 Auditronics 310 in storage which Im thinking of
recommissioning

I ran across this fellow while looking for something else (isn't that
always the way with the Internet?). He doesn't mention the 310 on his
Auditronics web page, maybe for good reason, but he might be able to
tell you something about what's good or bad about it. At least he seems
to have a good stock of parts.

http://www.lightnerelectronics.com/auditronics/

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , ChrisG wrote:
The question: Is it sonically worth the effort? Has anyone here ever
worked on/with an Auditronics 300 series?

I did, but it was decades ago, and it was in a broadcast application.

The things to watch out for in general on consoles of that era:

1. quality of controls -- many inexpensive consoles were built with
consumer grade pots and switches that went bad. I don't remember
the Auditronics as feeling cheap but again it's been a long time.
How does it feel?

2. Internal impedances... a lot of late 70s/early 80s consoles were
made with high-Z networks and fet input op-amps. This keeps prices
down, heat down, and allows you to use a tiny power supply, but it
makes for noise problems by modern standards. Get the schematic and
if you see 100M pots, expect noise.

I remember the EQ on the Auditronics as being kind of limited, but I
don't really remember anything good or bad about it. It didn't make
me pull my hair out though.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
On 4/4/2019 3:16 PM, ChrisG wrote:
I have a 24/8/2 Auditronics 310 in storage which Im thinking of
recommissioning

I ran across this fellow while looking for something else (isn't that
always the way with the Internet?). He doesn't mention the 310 on his
Auditronics web page, maybe for good reason, but he might be able to
tell you something about what's good or bad about it. At least he seems
to have a good stock of parts.

http://www.lightnerelectronics.com/auditronics/

Lightner used to advertise in Radio World for years, he is the go-to
guy for parts and assistance on those consoles.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 7/04/2019 10:46 PM, John Williamson wrote:
On 07/04/2019 01:12, ChrisG wrote:

hmmm well that didnt work ok, lets try this button
Jeez Im such a putz. * Mike, thank you for the wonderful anecdote
laden reply that no one else can see. Sorry, I had no intention of
taking it to private email.* Im doing newsgroups in Thunderbird for
the first time; now I know Reply goes to email and is not tacked
onto the thread. Live and learn.

You might want to look at your settings. I just clicked on "reply" in
Thuderbird and the message came to the group.

You can also select where the post goes in the composition window, and
send copies to people in addition to posting on the newsgroup. Whe nyou
reply, check in the top pane and it should say "Newsgroup" in the reply
to field. There is a down pointing arrow at the left hand end of the
line containing the which opens a menu to select the destination.

For me with Thunderbird 'Reply' goes email to the other party. To reply
to the newsgroup you need to select 'Followup'.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 7/04/2019 12:12 PM, ChrisG wrote:

Anyway, to reiterate for anyone else who may be remotely interested or
helpful:

I think Ive already convinced myself to go through with the Auditronics
project unless:
there might be someone out there with first hand experience to warn me
if this thing was just a really well built turd, even when it was new.

Or, any suggestions for groups or forums where geriatric radio folk hang
out?

BTW: Mike, The VCAs are DBX2150a.
Cheers

Unless you are undertaking this as a 'vintage restoration' type of
project, suggest evaluate what your time is worth, and what the current
functional, specification, and financial aspects compare with sourcing a
current (or less old) mixer that may well trump (ooops sorry about the
choice of words !) the Auditronics console in most ways.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 08/04/2019 00:44, geoff wrote:

For me with Thunderbird 'Reply' goes email to the other party. To reply
to the newsgroup you need to select 'Followup'.

It is possible that a decade or so ago, I set it to do it the way I want
it to and it has stuck through all the updates since version 2.xx.xx.

But I just clicked on "reply" and it's gone to the group again.

When it's normal e-mail, it replies to the sender.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
ChrisG ChrisG is offline

On 4/8/2019 1:07 AM, John Williamson wrote:
On 08/04/2019 00:44, geoff wrote:

For me with Thunderbird 'Reply' goes email to the other party. To
reply to the newsgroup you need to select 'Followup'.

It is possible that a decade or so ago, I set it to do it the way I want
it to and it has stuck through all the updates since version 2.xx.xx.

But I just clicked on "reply" and it's gone to the group again.

When it's normal e-mail, it replies to the sender.

Thanks John, I think Ive fingered it out. Ill use the followup button
until I forget.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
ChrisG ChrisG is offline

On 4/7/2019 6:50 PM, geoff wrote:
[...]

Im in the midst of a long term move in which Im transferring all my
music and recording gear from one house to another. My studio (I hate
using that word when its really just a pile of equipment in the living
room) is not commercial, so I dont have to impress anybody with brands.
I just want to make the most of a vast collection of cool crap Ive
accumulated over several decades. My choice is to re-install a 20 year
old Peavey, or give this thing a try. Given the quality of components
and construction Ive deemed it more timeworthy than anything else I
could afford; I already own it, and I have a parts donor and full
documentation. The little digital mixers can come and go, but once
ensconced, the analogue behemoths will probably stay put for the rest of
my miserable life.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
ChrisG ChrisG is offline

On 4/7/2019 7:33 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 4/4/2019 3:16 PM, ChrisG wrote:
I have a 24/8/2 Auditronics 310 in storage which Im thinking of
recommissioning

I ran across this fellow while looking for something else (isn't that
always the way with the Internet?). He doesn't mention the 310 on his
Auditronics web page, maybe for good reason, but he might be able to
tell you something about what's good or bad about it. At least he seems
to have a good stock of parts.

http://www.lightnerelectronics.com/auditronics/

Thanks Mike, I forgot about Lightner. I hope I wont need parts, but he
may have some good advice.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
ChrisG ChrisG is offline

On 4/7/2019 7:36 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , ChrisG wrote:
[...]

--scott

Thanks for the advice Scott.
The manual specifies 50k +4dBm balanced line in (5532 pair, no
transformer) and as a bonus they DO NOT go through the mic pre!
Overall construction is industrial grade; stepped precision R
attenuators, cermet pots, Penny&Giles faders, and so on. Really serious
kit by my standards. I dont expect magic from a broadcast board. Just
hoping for utilitarian functionality (boring and reliable as my Caravan).

Posted to rec.audio.pro
ChrisG ChrisG is offline

[...]

-- "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

And thank you for reminding me of the two Tascam Model 10s I used to
have strapped together.
Looked great.
That is all.