Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Fake raid

https://www.prosoundweb.com/channels...ided-in-china/

But whoever thought up the name Soundpu ?!!!

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

On 3/19/19 1:18 PM, geoff wrote:
https://www.prosoundweb.com/channels...ided-in-china/

But whoever thought up the name Soundpu ?!!!

geoff

How far do you think this reaches? Certainly to eBay. I would
guess someone like Swee****er would be safe?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 20/03/2019 9:39 AM, Tobiah wrote:
On 3/19/19 1:18 PM, geoff wrote:
https://www.prosoundweb.com/channels...ided-in-china/

But whoever thought up the name Soundpu ?!!!

geoff

How far do you think this reaches?Â* Certainly to eBay.Â* I would
guess someone like Swee****er would be safe?

I am sure any large chain or reputable shop sources goods only from the
official distributors.

Parallel importers of 'gray-market' items, and new gear on eBay that
comes from overseas sources I would not trust.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

geoff wrote:

I am sure any large chain or reputable shop sources goods only from the
official distributors.

Parallel importers of 'gray-market' items, and new gear on eBay that
comes from overseas sources I would not trust.

Yeah, but there are so many ways the supply chain can get contaminated
these days. We got some bad 2N3055s from a major distributor last year.
Turned out someone had ordered a couple hundred ST ones and returned them,
except that what they returned wasn't what they had been shipped and the
distributor put the returns back insto stock.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 3/19/2019 7:11 PM, geoff wrote:
I am sure any large chain or reputable shop sources goods only from the
official distributors.

Guitar Center sold a lot of Chinese copies of Oktava mics. As I recall,
they (GC) thought they were getting the real thing from a legitimate
distributor, and dropped them when the line when they learned that they
weren't the real thing.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 21/03/2019 12:03 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
the real thing from a legitimate distributor, and dropped them when the
line when t

It was a little more complicated than that.

Those China MC012s were commissioned by the UK distributor for Oktava
who , rightly or wrongly, asserted that they has rights to do that. Even
the label on the mics said "MC012 by ASM" or something like that to
differentiate from the Russia ones which were, at the time, of extremely
variable quality.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
geoff wrote:
On 21/03/2019 12:03 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
the real thing from a legitimate distributor, and dropped them when the
line when t

It was a little more complicated than that.

Those China MC012s were commissioned by the UK distributor for Oktava
who , rightly or wrongly, asserted that they has rights to do that. Even
the label on the mics said "MC012 by ASM" or something like that to
differentiate from the Russia ones which were, at the time, of extremely
variable quality.

They were of extremely variable quality because the aforementioned
distributor (who actually had exclusive distribution throughout the West,
not just the UK) pressured the manufacturer to churn them out as cheaply
as possible... and when they found a way to get them even cheaper they
went to another manufacturer.

It seems that Oktava signed a very bad contract with McKay, which gave
McKay not only exclusive distribution rights for the whole world outside
Russia, but also exclusive use of the Oktava name. This sort of thing
happened frequently after the fall of the Soviet Union when people who
were not used to the way business in the West is done were suddenly thrust
into contact with practices they had never dreamed of.