Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default Asked and answered in the past....

But I was never driven to buy. I have a pair of Rode NT1-A's,
and I'd like to match them with a transparent, quiet, dual-channel
preamp. I aim to record soft sounds at high gain. Not so much
a wasp tapping on a window, but say, running a brush through long
hair, or maybe the sound of wine being poured into a glass.

I have an USB2 audio interface by a middle tier pro-sumer maker,
and I'm fairly surprised by the quality I got for money I could
shell without wincing too hard. I'd like to know though, if I
could do a little better in the higher gain, lower noise, totally
transparent area.

I probably wouldn't go as high as $1000, but I'd probably swallow
more than $500.

Thanks!

Tobiah

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tobiah wrote:

But I was never driven to buy. I have a pair of Rode NT1-A's,
and I'd like to match them with a transparent, quiet, dual-channel
preamp. I aim to record soft sounds at high gain. Not so much
a wasp tapping on a window, but say, running a brush through long
hair, or maybe the sound of wine being poured into a glass.

** The Rode NT-1As are a good choice, 5dBA equivalent SPL means they are a very quiet mic. The output level is quite high too, 25mV for a SPL of 94dB.

Because condenser mics already have a low noise pre-amp built inside them, the noise performance of the following pre amp is rarely of much importance - IOW noise from the mic typically swamps the input noise from the external pre-amp.

This will be the case with the Rode mics, unless you choice of pre-amp is really poor.

I have an USB2 audio interface by a middle tier pro-sumer maker,
and I'm fairly surprised by the quality I got for money I could
shell without wincing too hard. I'd like to know though, if I
could do a little better in the higher gain, lower noise, totally
transparent area.

** Tell us what you have first.

Provide a link to the makers specs while you are at it.

Don't be a tedious, secretive ******.

..... Phil