Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

Default shure ksm8

have you guys seen this yet? It's a dual diaphragm dynamic intended to give reduced proximity effect and cleaner off axis response.... I've been waiting for a modern microphone manufacturer to come up with something like this. You know how much I love my re15's but they aren't the best with many modern mic preamps....

Shure is marketing it as a vocal microphone, but I can see many uses, live and in the studio, for this mic if it sounds good....

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/1/2016 9:24 PM, Nate Najar wrote:
have you guys seen this yet? It's a dual diaphragm dynamic intended
to give reduced proximity effect and cleaner off axis response....
I've been waiting for a modern microphone manufacturer to come up
with something like this. You know how much I love my re15's but
they aren't the best with many modern mic preamps....

I talked into one at the NAMM show. It sounds pretty good on voice, but
I don't think you'd love it for the same reason you love the RE-15. The
RE-15 has pretty smooth frequency response in addition to having reduced
proximity effect. The KSM8 is more appropriate as an announcer's mic, or
for the mysterious "voiceover" (over what?) that so many people are
doing these days.

It's not really what any microphone designer would call "dual
diaphragm." There's a normal diaphragm with a voice coil, and the second
"diaphragm" is really a plastic baffle in the path from the rear vent.
That's how the RE-15/20/etc work, just that E-V doesn't call it a
diaphragm.

I'll bet Ty will be getting one for a review and he'll give it a good
workout.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 8:14:30 AM UTC-5, Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

thanks Mike, I knew it sounded too good to be true!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Nate Najar wrote:

thanks Mike, I knew it sounded too good to be true!

I wouldn't call that "too good to be true," I'd just call that "a Variable-D
system under a different name." Nothing wrong with that, and it's good to
see someone else making a Variable-D design. The EV patents have been up for
decades, it's a wonder it didn't happen sooner.

They are just using vents up near the element rather than distributed venting
way down the side, so I'm guessing there is a hidden labyrinth behind those
vents to provide some acoustical delay (rather than the long straight tube E
V used). Probably a good thing since the long vents on the EV are too easy
to block up with a hand.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Nate Najar wrote:

thanks Mike, I knew it sounded too good to be true!

** The KSM8 is a genuine dual-diaphragm dynamic mic, based on Shure's KSM42 condenser mic that uses the same idea.

There are two moving diaphragms, one of which is electrically connected to the output and the other acts to attenuate low frequencies entering via the rear ports of the capsule. This results in reduced proximity effect and response to plosives.

http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answer...84dU9iWWdJbQ==

The KSM8 capsule also borrows from the SM58, with detail changes to the top cap design removing the famous 5kHz boost. A neodymium magnet replaces the heavier ( Alnico?) steel one.

Looks like there is no transformer inside, so the active diaphragm is wound with very fine wire to give 300ohms impedance as with the notorious Beta58 - not to be confused with the Beta58A that has one.

BTW: Users report that a Neutrik XLR plug will not lock into the mic unless the rubber O-ring is removed.

Bit of a stuff up there.

.... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

On 2/4/2016 9:12 PM, Phil Allison wrote:

[...]

$500 street for that booger. It must be good.

Shure X2U mcp6453[_2_] Pro Audio 7 February 26th 12 12:29 AM
how is the shure sm- 57 ? Over G Pro Audio 29 December 1st 06 11:51 PM
Shure E2C Michael Sovitzky General 0 May 18th 05 01:04 AM
Which Is Better For Live Singing - Shure SM58 or Shure Beta 58 Mack Pro Audio 6 September 3rd 04 08:19 PM
shure sm7 barabis Pro Audio 5 December 11th 03 05:51 PM