Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clint Olsen Clint Olsen is offline

Default Looking for a good match with my existing Hales Revelation 3 + Center

Hi:

I have a pair of Boston Acoustics A40s that finally have died. The foam
on the woofers have disintegrated, and these speakers are not worth
preserving IMO. I never had the cash to buy the Hales Revelation Ones
and they were pretty spendy relative to what they delivered ($1000/pr).
I've always been interested in finally rounding out my sound system. The
Hales were known for really well braced MDF boxes and fine veneers. The
full-size speakers sported 4" thick front baffles and 1" thick elsewhere.
The other thing is that the full-sized units are sealed. I'm a big fan of
tight bass delivered by an acoustic suspension design. The tweeter and
midranges were known for being off-the-shelf Vifa units while the woofer
was some custom design.

I'm willing to consider DIY options since it doesn't look like I see a ton
of options in the retail market. I posted on one DIY forum, but I havne't
seen any responses yet, and I thought this would reach a much wider
audience.

Thanks,

-Clint
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On 2007-12-02, MiNe 109 wrote:
There's an Ebay listing for a Boston A40 foam repair kit with a Buy It
Now of $18.50. That said, it's probably easier to get good results from
cheap speakers today than it was back when the A40 were current. I like
the Infinity Primus 150 bookshelf speakers I use in a theater system with
Linn front speakers (sealed box, BTW). Other brands to consider include
PSB and Paradigm.

A local used dealer recommended the small Sonos speakers. I haven't looked
very hard for reviews by people on here. I listened to them briefly at my
local audio store, but I didn't get much time to hear them.

My biggest beef with the BA A40 was the crummy/cheap spring clips for the
speaker terminals. This time I want real banana plugs...

If you're really sure you want an acoustic suspension design, look at
NHT.

I did look at NHT (2.9s, actually) originally before I bough the Hales.
The piano black unfortunately would clash with just about everything in my
room. The other finishes at the time were atrocious.

I'll see if I can find a local Infinity dealer...

Thanks,

-Clint
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

Sounds like you might want to look at some used Thiels....the 1.5's come to
mind...sealed, passive radiators, construction and appearance much like
Hales...fine sound.

"Clint Olsen" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

when you can't match the center channel? [email protected] Audio Opinions 0 January 17th 06 04:52 AM
Need Center Channel Speaker to Match Vandersteen 1Cs Mike Audio Opinions 4 July 17th 05 12:00 AM
How Good a Match are these two tubes/valves ? Dave xxxx Vacuum Tubes 3 December 26th 04 05:03 PM
Hales center channel David Marketplace 0 September 27th 04 05:40 AM
Linn Keilidh with Rotel RA-02: a good match? Allan Tremblay High End Audio 0 September 16th 03 11:45 PM