Best digital music recording program

Old June 30th 16, 09:36 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

Default Best digital music recording program

On 30/06/2016 1:57 PM, geoff wrote:
> On 30/06/2016 1:52 p.m., Trevor wrote:
>> On 30/06/2016 2:29 AM, Nil wrote:
>>> On 29 Jun 2016, Tom Evans > wrote in
>>> rec.audio.pro:

>>> You can't record voice or any other acoustic instrument with MIDI.

>> But you can record audio *and* MIDI simultaneously with many DAW
>> programs, and have been able to do so for well over 2 decades.
>>

> And some stand-alone applications and VSTi/DXi may even allow one to
> record voice (etc), manipulate it, and play it back, appropriated
> pitched, with MIDI or other means.

Sure, and you can even get voice trackers to create midi messages from
vocal input, or other digital audio, which can control MIDI instruments.

Trevor.

Old July 2nd 16, 12:38 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom Evans

On 2016-06-29 15:50:41 +0000, Mike Rivers said:

> On 6/29/2016 10:01 AM, Tom Evans wrote:
>> Digital sudio recording makes learning to read music optional. And even
>> many successful musicians playing real instruments don't know how to
>> read music.

> Reading music doesn't have anything to do with it. People played music
> before there was a way to write it. I don't read music well enough to
> play what I read, yet I'm still able to record my music.
>
> What you're talking about is composition, really. The soft synth allows
> you to, in essence, create a computer program that plays music using
> pre-recorded sounds. If you play a keyboard, for instance, by ear, you
> can use that to generate the program that tells the computer what notes
> to play and when.
>
>> I'm interested in multi-track, MIDI recording including voice. That does
>> entail having the songs played back for me automatcially, in order to
>> review the songs for editing. There's also nothing wrong with that.

> The term "edit" tends to get misused in this context. It's true that
> much of the recorded music is edited, which involves cutting out parts,
> replacing them with other parts or just leaving them out, adding new
> parts, putting things in a different order, and such. To some, "edit"
> is what they call the process of constructing a finished song from a
> group of synchronized recordings. Those recordings could be tracks
> generated from MIDI data and played through a soft synth, or recorded
> with a microphone, which is how you would record your voice.
>
> Most digital audio workstations (DAW) these days put the whole shebang
> together. That's why they're called "workstations." Given the
> appropriate interface to your computer, you can record audio, you can
> record MIDI data, you can choose the sounds that the MIDI data plays
> (soft synth), you can edit the whole song or individual tracks, you can
> add one track at a time to build up the song, you can remove or replace
> parts that didn't come out the way you wanted.
>
> Most DAWs throw in some sort of soft synth capability to give you
> something to get started with. If you don't like the sounds that you're
> offered, you can add others.
>
> If you already have a DAW program that you're happy with and you're
> just looking for some different sound libraries, that's one thing, and
> it might be what you're asking about.
> If you're just auditioning soft synth sounds before you get started
> with a full DAW package (which it sounds like what you really need),
> you might start from the other end. Find a DAW you like, and then look
> for sounds that fit with your music.
>
> Your can try Reaper for free, and it's pretty cheap. Studio One (from
> PreSonus)has a capable free version, as does Tracktion.

Thanks.

Instead of DAW-hopping to Reaper, Studio One or Tracktion, I think I'll
stay with Garageband, which I already know, and add more libraries to
it.

I just discovered the East West Composer Cloud monthly license option.
That would solve my problem of having to hunt down, download, install,
test and learn the hundrieds of piecmeal plug-ins, programs,
modulators, bells and whistles, etcetera, from scores of different
compaines, which would only give me hodge-podge of stuff, only a
fraction of which would be useful to me. Composer Cloud is also high
end, while much of the free and cheap instruments available on the Web
are not good quality.

I'm also considering buying the East West Spaces Convolution Reverb
plug-in, but I don't know if that's a good idea, because I can add
reverb anyway in Garageband or whatever library I add to Garageband.

Tom Evans

Old April 15th 19, 12:25 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Friday, December 5, 2014 at 10:47:39 PM UTC-8, Tom Evans wrote:
> What's the best digital music recording program that comes with many
> terrific instrument sounds?
>
> I'm thinking of buying Logic Pro 10, as I'm a Mac user and I'm using
> Garageband and a controller to record songs on the Mac, but I'm finding
> Garageband's instrument sounds are too limited.
>
> The price of Logic seems to be good ($200) but I wonder if there's a
> program that easeir to learn and use; Logic seems to be complicated.

I was actually going to suggest Logic, as songwriters seem to really love it because of its many instrument sounds and general ease of use. While a lot of DAWs come with instruments, Logic seems to really embrace that right out of the gate.

Full disclosure, though...although I have seen Logic in action many times, I've never actually used it, usually sticking with the old dinosaur that is Pro Tools, which also has a number of instruments (analog-style synth, drum machine, organ, piano).

Ken
Old April 15th 19, 02:14 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Try N Track studio

https://ntrack.com/digital-audio-workstation.php

I like the spectrum analyzer and EQ tools.