Auditronics 310

Old April 8th 19, 07:07 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
John Williamson

Default Auditronics 310

On 08/04/2019 00:44, geoff wrote:

> For me with Thunderbird 'Reply' goes email to the other party. To reply
> to the newsgroup you need to select 'Followup'.

It is possible that a decade or so ago, I set it to do it the way I want
it to and it has stuck through all the updates since version 2.xx.xx.

But I just clicked on "reply" and it's gone to the group again.

When it's normal e-mail, it replies to the sender.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old April 8th 19, 08:15 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
ChrisG

On 4/8/2019 1:07 AM, John Williamson wrote:
> On 08/04/2019 00:44, geoff wrote:
>
>> For me with Thunderbird 'Reply' goes email to the other party. To
>> reply to the newsgroup you need to select 'Followup'.
>>

> It is possible that a decade or so ago, I set it to do it the way I want
> it to and it has stuck through all the updates since version 2.xx.xx.
>
> But I just clicked on "reply" and it's gone to the group again.
>
> When it's normal e-mail, it replies to the sender.

Thanks John, I think I’ve fingered it out. I’ll use the followup button
until I forget.
Old April 8th 19, 08:18 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
ChrisG

On 4/7/2019 6:50 PM, geoff wrote:
> On 7/04/2019 12:12 PM, ChrisG wrote:
>

>> Anyway, to reiterate for anyone else who may be remotely interested or
>> helpful:
>>
>> I think I’ve already convinced myself to go through with the
>> Auditronics project unless:
>> “…there might be someone out there with first hand experience to warn
>> me if this thing was just a really well built turd, even when it was
>> new”.
>>
>> Or, any suggestions for groups or forums where geriatric radio folk
>> hang out?
>>
>> BTW: Mike, The VCA’s are DBX2150a.
>> Cheers
>>

> Unless you are undertaking this as a 'vintage restoration' type of
> project, suggest evaluate what your time is worth, and what the current
> functional, specification, and financial aspects compare with sourcing a
> current (or less old) mixer that may well trump (ooops sorry about the
> choice of words !) the Auditronics console in most ways.
>
> geoff

I’m in the midst of a long term move in which I’m transferring all my
music and recording gear from one house to another. My “studio” (I hate
using that word when it’s really just a pile of equipment in the living
room) is not commercial, so I don’t have to impress anybody with brands.
I just want to make the most of a vast collection of cool crap I’ve
accumulated over several decades. My choice is to re-install a 20 year
old Peavey, or give this thing a try. Given the quality of components
and construction I’ve deemed it more timeworthy than anything else I
could afford; I already own it, and I have a parts donor and full
documentation. The little digital mixers can come and go, but once
ensconced, the analogue behemoths will probably stay put for the rest of
my miserable life.
Old April 8th 19, 08:20 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
ChrisG

On 4/7/2019 7:33 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 4/4/2019 3:16 PM, ChrisG wrote:
>> I have a 24/8/2 Auditronics 310 in storage which I’m thinking of
>> recommissioning

> I ran across this fellow while looking for something else (isn't that
> always the way with the Internet?). He doesn't mention the 310 on his
> Auditronics web page, maybe for good reason, but he might be able to
> tell you something about what's good or bad about it. At least he seems
> to have a good stock of parts.
>
> http://www.lightnerelectronics.com/auditronics/

Thanks Mike, I forgot about Lightner. I hope I won’t need parts, but he
may have some good advice.
Old April 8th 19, 08:37 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
ChrisG

On 4/7/2019 7:36 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In article >, ChrisG > wrote:
>> The question: Is it sonically worth the effort? Has anyone here ever
>> worked on/with an Auditronics 300 series?

> I did, but it was decades ago, and it was in a broadcast application.
>
> The things to watch out for in general on consoles of that era:
>
> 1. quality of controls -- many inexpensive consoles were built with
> consumer grade pots and switches that went bad. I don't remember
> the Auditronics as feeling cheap but again it's been a long time.
> How does it feel?
>
> 2. Internal impedances... a lot of late 70s/early 80s consoles were
> made with high-Z networks and fet input op-amps. This keeps prices
> down, heat down, and allows you to use a tiny power supply, but it
> makes for noise problems by modern standards. Get the schematic and
> if you see 100M pots, expect noise.
>
> I remember the EQ on the Auditronics as being kind of limited, but I
> don't really remember anything good or bad about it. It didn't make
> me pull my hair out though.
> --scott

Thanks for the advice Scott.
The manual specifies 50k +4dBm balanced line in (5532 pair, no
transformer) and as a bonus they DO NOT go through the mic pre!
Overall construction is industrial grade; stepped precision R
attenuators, cermet pots, Penny&Giles faders, and so on. Really serious
kit by my standards. I don’t expect magic from a broadcast board. Just
hoping for utilitarian functionality (boring and reliable as my Caravan).

Old April 8th 19, 10:16 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
ChrisG

On 4/7/2019 7:36 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> I did, but it was decades ago, and it was in a broadcast application.
>
> The things to watch out for in general on consoles of that era:
>
> 1. quality of controls -- many inexpensive consoles were built with
> consumer grade pots and switches that went bad. I don't remember
> the Auditronics as feeling cheap but again it's been a long time.
> How does it feel?
>
> 2. Internal impedances... a lot of late 70s/early 80s consoles were
> made with high-Z networks and fet input op-amps. This keeps prices
> down, heat down, and allows you to use a tiny power supply, but it
> makes for noise problems by modern standards. Get the schematic and
> if you see 100M pots, expect noise.
>
> I remember the EQ on the Auditronics as being kind of limited, but I
> don't really remember anything good or bad about it. It didn't make
> me pull my hair out though.
> --scott
>
> -- "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

And thank you for reminding me of the two Tascam Model 10’s I used to
have strapped together.
Looked great.
That is all.