Measuring noise along a signal path

Old March 19th 19, 08:48 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

Default Measuring noise along a signal path

Tobiah wrote:

> Phil Allison wrote:
>

> >> I ordered a Jethead

> > ** Its called a " Fethead " - dickhead.

> I'm so sorry.

** Very sorry indeed - a sorry little dickhead.

> It must suck to be you.

** LOL - ****wits like you suck 24/7.

Wot a jerkoff.

..... Phil

Old March 21st 19, 12:21 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah

I got the Fethead today. I placed both NT1-A's in as close to the same
position as possible. I ran one through the Fethead, and the other
straight though into the preamps of my M-Audio Fast Track Ultra. I set
the non-Fethead gain to 100%, then set the gain of the Fethead mic to
match the best I could trying different sound sources and pink noise far
and close to the mics. Eventually I was satisfied that the meters were
responding identically.

Next, I traded the mics for two 150 Ohm dummy mics. The Fethead
produced audibly more noise. I applied same-gain normalization
to the two tracks, and here is the result, with the Fethead mic
on the bottom.

https://imgur.com/a/UwdLoII

So, it goes back. I could see it being handy with a portable
recorder that had horribly noisy preamps.

Toby