EggHd

Default Interesting (OT)

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht
oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and
lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can
sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed
ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Amzanig huh?

---------------------------------------
John Neiberger

"EggHd" wrote in message
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in

waht
oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the

frist and
lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you

can
sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not

raed
ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Amzanig huh?

This is the second time I've seen it and I'm still amazed at how true it
seems to be. That's really strange!

P Stamler

Billshut.

Peace,
Paul
G. Scott Davis

This is in just about every group.
Glenn Davis
"Creating the perfect mix is like painting a 747 with Q-Tips"
reddred

"EggHd" wrote in message
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in

waht
oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the

frist and
lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you

can
sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not

raed
ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Amzanig huh?

After having read that pretty quickly, I'd have to say they're right, and
that is pettry naet.

But they should try it with kids or people who have only been reading a few
years, or don't read much. It's possible the results could be different.

jb

Ben Bradley

In rec.audio.pro, "reddred" wrote:

"EggHd" wrote in message
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in

waht
oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the

frist and
lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you

can
sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not

raed
ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Amzanig huh?

After having read that pretty quickly, I'd have to say they're right, and
that is pettry naet.

I have a suspicion that the text, or rather the 'randomizations' of
the characters, might be loaded to make it easier to read. It would be
easy enough to write a program to randomize all but the first and last
characters of every word, and run it on various texts then "test how
readable" the results are.
That's one reason I really want to know the sources for these
things - was this real research, or did someone make this up?
Snopes lists it, but hasn't made a final statement about it:
http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/cambridge.asp
I really think this is just the result of an overactive mind, not
any researcher at any college.

But they should try it with kids or people who have only been reading a few
years, or don't read much. It's possible the results could be different.

jb

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
reddred

"Ben Bradley" wrote in message

I have a suspicion that the text, or rather the 'randomizations' of
the characters, might be loaded to make it easier to read. It would be
easy enough to write a program to randomize all but the first and last
characters of every word, and run it on various texts then "test how
readable" the results are.

Looking at it, most of the 'random' elements appear to be a simple switch of
adjacent letters. I think this gives credence to your 'overactive mind'
observation and it's also a fairly simple thing for a person to compensate
by switching the letters back as they read.

jb