Mister.Lull

Default External Port

Everyone here has been such a great help, thank you for walking me
through my many, many questions... Hopefully I only have a few more.

Has anyone ever built a box with external ports? I was wondering if it
sounds different (I'm guessing it does) and if so, how?

General Port question: Does it matter if the port bends at all? I was
hoping to have either a 45 or 90 degree bend (not a sweep; fairly tight
curve) in a 4 inch port.

Dark1

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
oups.com...
Everyone here has been such a great help, thank you for walking me
through my many, many questions... Hopefully I only have a few more.

Has anyone ever built a box with external ports? I was wondering if it
sounds different (I'm guessing it does) and if so, how?

General Port question: Does it matter if the port bends at all? I was
hoping to have either a 45 or 90 degree bend (not a sweep; fairly tight
curve) in a 4 inch port.

an external port should sound no different, however, if you're talking
super-long you might introduce a problem with it being out of phase with the
sub... not going to do the math on that today but the potential is there..
There's no problem with 90 degree bends, just be sure the corners are smooth
(rounded)..

Daniel Snooks

Mister.Lull wrote:
Everyone here has been such a great help, thank you for walking me
through my many, many questions... Hopefully I only have a few more.

Has anyone ever built a box with external ports? I was wondering if
it sounds different (I'm guessing it does) and if so, how?

General Port question: Does it matter if the port bends at all? I was
hoping to have either a 45 or 90 degree bend (not a sweep; fairly
tight curve) in a 4 inch port.

For a bent port look into JL Audio's FlexPort (insert registered trademark
symbol here)
It's a hefty plastic flexible tube available in typical sizes.
Another option would be to build the port square, and just sand smooth any
turns you make (use filler to get a more rounded finish on the outside
portion of the bend)

--
Dan Snooks

Mister.Lull

Good to know, I think that it'll be much easier to calculate inside air
space of a box without having to adjust for a port. Especially since I
have to adjust the air space every time I calculate the port, which has
to be re-calculated every time I adjust the air space... You get the
picture. As for the smoothness of the curves, I'll just be using some
schedule 40 pvc pipe for the port, which has quite a few options for
bends and whatnot; and it's available at any plumbing store (or
plumbing department at any home improvement store). Thank you!!

Mister.Lull

here is how firewire ports fail George Pro Audio 13 September 11th 04 09:11 PM
Old speaker boxes Jebus Tech 270 June 4th 04 01:42 AM
2nd Hard Drive (internal vs external) Andrew V. Romero Pro Audio 12 March 10th 04 09:24 AM
rec.audio.car FAQ (Part 3/5) Ian D. Bjorhovde Car Audio 0 March 6th 04 06:54 AM
New Notebook external audio option MS General 11 June 28th 03 04:12 AM