Stiffening Capacitors Any Use?

Old December 23rd 03, 06:31 PM
Onyi C. Ejiasa

Default Stiffening Capacitors Any Use?

I have heard arguments for using CAPS and arguments on how they are useless
devices successfully sold purely on "hype".

What is the general consensus of this forum concerning stiffening caps? Are
they worth the money? Is it true that they unnecessarily drain your battery?
Is there a good website to get information on how these devices work and why
they are/are not useful?

Also, if there is a benefit to these devices, what constitutes a "cheap" cap
versus a "quality" cap? I understand alot of answers to these questions will
be opinionated, but I welcome them anyhow...

Onyi C. Ejiasa
BlaQmail.com - Empower your e-mail.
Vote for my install @ sounddomain.com!
http://www.sounddomain.com/id/blaqaltima

Old December 23rd 03, 06:41 PM
Mark Zarella

> I have heard arguments for using CAPS and arguments on how they are
useless
> devices successfully sold purely on "hype".

I think they have legitimate uses, but I also think they're sold purely on
hype.

> What is the general consensus of this forum concerning stiffening caps?

Are
> they worth the money?

That's a subjective question. Are they worth the money to you? Well, those
that have solved their dimming headlights will swear to you they are. Those
that think they hear a difference in their audio will also usually say they
are. How can you argue with that?

> Is it true that they unnecessarily drain your battery?

No.

> Is there a good website to get information on how these devices work and

why
> they are/are not useful?

The best car audio site on the net surely has something:
http://www.bcae1.com

> Also, if there is a benefit to these devices, what constitutes a "cheap"

cap
> versus a "quality" cap? I understand alot of answers to these questions

will
> be opinionated, but I welcome them anyhow...

The single most important parameter (aside from of course the capacitance in
Farads) is the equivalent series impedance. This is usually given by the
ESL and the ESR. The lower number the better. Unfortunately, not all
manufacturers provide this information.

Old December 24th 03, 06:45 AM
cyrus

In article >,
"Onyi C. Ejiasa" > wrote:

> I have heard arguments for using CAPS and arguments on how they are useless
> devices successfully sold purely on "hype".
>
> What is the general consensus of this forum concerning stiffening caps? Are
> they worth the money? Is it true that they unnecessarily drain your battery?
> Is there a good website to get information on how these devices work and why
> they are/are not useful?
>
> Also, if there is a benefit to these devices, what constitutes a "cheap" cap
> versus a "quality" cap? I understand alot of answers to these questions will
> be opinionated, but I welcome them anyhow...
>
> --

> Onyi C. Ejiasa
> BlaQmail.com - Empower your e-mail.
> Vote for my install @ sounddomain.com!
> http://www.sounddomain.com/id/blaqaltima

google.com is your friend.

--
cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Capacitors Bryan Car Audio 0 December 2nd 03 04:23 AM
FA: Sprague NOS "Black Beauty" Capacitors and More! Rick Ferranti General 0 December 1st 03 06:51 PM
fs: 1 Farad Capacitors Eric Renaud Car Audio 0 October 26th 03 11:13 PM
FS: (3) 1Farad capacitors Eric Renaud Car Audio 0 October 6th 03 01:18 AM
CAPACITORS good inexexpensive? Soundfreak03 Car Audio 7 July 23rd 03 09:50 PM