Len Moskowitz

Default AES show report

Ethan Winer ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote:

Nice review. I just wish you'd visited our RealTraps booth as I've always
wanted to meet you in person.

Ditto for us!

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Victor

Scott, if there any place on-line one can read "Lamps for Speaker
Protection", or Preprint 5881?

And what was the issue with SSM2017:
"...SSM2019 chip, which is a self-contained preamplifier front end on a chip
that replaces the (rather poorly performing) SSM2017..."

Victor

Roger W. Norman

And that's a good point. In today's environment, it's necessary to have a
lot of hype about a new product, but showing older products doesn't make a
lot of sense if one needs to have additional costly exhibition space. SAW,
for example, has never been a participant in any show other than NAB because
they were already entrenched in the radio/TV voice over world and they
haven't changed their focus even though the product is probably one of the
best audio recording software suites out there.

And I pretty much stumbled upon Samplitude although I had know about it for
years. It took Bob Lentini's major structural change to make me look at
other products, neither of which have the market share of Sonar or Adobe
Audition these days. But they are vastly superior in abilities and strength
of product functions. My wife bought Audition and I was flaberghasted.
Why? Price point and her abilities to use the product.

At this point, along with the concerns about a whole bunch of people being
in one place at the same time, it makes sense and Bev proves the point. Why
go out and learn something about products when you can simply download
something and try it? I can't see any fault in that, and, in fact, that's
how I came about being a Samplitude user. We used to go to all the shows,
both in computer sofware/hardware and audio. Now we stay home and have feet
that don't mind it a bit.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

I remember that there were NY shows every year, then every other year,
and maybe every year again, and then the current (every other year)

system.

SMPTE was also in NY a little after AES on some years.

This was hard on the manufacturers who felt that they needed to
exhibit in each show. Today we also have NAMM (two US shows currently)
as well as Musikmesse and NAB which cross over into the pro audio
field. Not only does it cost a lot of money to do a trade show, but
there's the pressure to announce new products each show. To say
nothing of the cost for those of us who feel that we have to attend
every show to see what's new.

I'm happy for the reduced schedule myself.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Scott Dorsey

Len Moskowitz wrote:
Ethan Winer ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote:

Nice review. I just wish you'd visited our RealTraps booth as I've always
wanted to meet you in person.

Ditto for us!

Hey, you guys should have come to the r.a.p dinner! It was a lot of fun
meeting people, crowded though the place was.

I wish I had seen more of the show... there is always just so much there that
I wind up missing a large fraction of it.

Scott Dorsey

Victor wrote:
Scott, if there any place on-line one can read "Lamps for Speaker
Protection", or Preprint 5881?

No, but if you mail me an address I'll send you an extra copy.

And what was the issue with SSM2017:
"...SSM2019 chip, which is a self-contained preamplifier front end on a chip
that replaces the (rather poorly performing) SSM2017..."

It just never sounded anywhere near as good as the earlier SSM2015 and
SSM2016 chips that it replaced. The 2015 and 2016 were made by PMI on a
semicustom fab line (which is why they had the weird pinouts). When AD
bought out PMI, they didn't want to be sending their fab work out to their
competitors semicustom lines, so they redesigned a lot of the parts that
were made that way, to fab on the AD production lines. Unfortunately the
end result on the mike preamp chips was not a good one.
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

it's necessary to have a
lot of hype about a new product, but showing older products doesn't make a
lot of sense if one needs to have additional costly exhibition space.

Even if you don't have a new product for a show, it's important for
some companies to just be there. Can you imagine an AES without JBL or
SSL or Studer or Neumann? When an expected company doesn't have a
booth at a show, people wonder what happened or when they went out of
business.

SAW, for example, has never been a participant in any show other than NAB because
they were already entrenched in the radio/TV voice over world and they
haven't changed their focus even though the product is probably one of the
best audio recording software suites out there.

I saw them first at AES, and they came to NAMM for a few years, then
became a no-show, at least at those shows. But by that time, there
were other programs from the bigger names that appeared on the surface
to do the same thing for less money, so I guess they moved into the
broadcast world. Mackie is sort of like that now - AES isn't their
really important show and for the last couple of years, I think
they've been there just to show that they haven't abandoned the pro
audio community. Winter NAMM is where they make their presence known
in a big way.

At this point, along with the concerns about a whole bunch of people being
in one place at the same time, it makes sense and Bev proves the point. Why
go out and learn something about products when you can simply download
something and try it?

In my case, I often don't have the hardware to support it, and if I
do, I don't have the patience to figure out how to use it enough to
get a sense that it's something that even interests me. And if I
install a demo on my computer, I have to worry about cleanly
un-installing it.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )
Roger W. Norman

Well, welcome to the real world, Mike! g I think a lot of things are
changing/going to change, in so far as the way technology is introduced.
Nobody want's to have their people blown to bits, and regardless that it
hasn't happened, it's still foremost in some minds because that's the way
Bush wants it. This is the biggest impediment to business that I've seen in
the last 30 years and yet the Bush administration wants Americans to keep
buying?

Nobody in their right minds buys because there's a product. They buy
because there's a product that fits their needs. What their needs are is
dependant upong what they are doing. Not a lot of people spending money on
what they want anymore. Just spending money with what they can justify the
expense, hence smaller shows.

Now I'm just a little ****, and so I realize it and I could be totally
wrong, but it's just my point of view.

--

In article writes:

[...]

Ethan Winer

Scott,

you guys should have come to the r.a.p dinner!

Believe me, I watched all the threads and considered it for many weeks
before the show. But in the end I was afraid I'd commit to attending and
then be too busy at the appointed time. Which was exactly what happened.

Okay, next time for sure. By then I'll have more employees! :-)

--Ethan

Scott Dorsey

Ethan Winer ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote:
Scott,

you guys should have come to the r.a.p dinner!

Believe me, I watched all the threads and considered it for many weeks
before the show. But in the end I was afraid I'd commit to attending and
then be too busy at the appointed time. Which was exactly what happened.

Of course you were too busy! That's what the show is all about. It was
bad enough that there was an interesting demo and the Heyser lecture at
the same time...

Mike Clayton

In article , (Scott
Dorsey) wrote:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue9/aes2003.htm
--scott

Thanks Scott, very interesting report.

--
Mike Clayton
Kalman Rubinson

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:59:45 +1300,
(Mike Clayton) wrote:

In article ,
(Scott
Dorsey) wrote:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue9/aes2003.htm

Thanks Scott, very interesting report.

Indeed. I can add some info about one item:
"Nagra did just introduce the Nagra DAC, a very high grade DAC for
home stereo applications, with integral volume control
and analogue input as well as switching, so it can act as a simple
line stage as well as a DAC. Great looking box to
base a home system around. They had documentation on the box, but
sadly didn't have one for audition at the show."

It's a great box but the analog input is digitized via a 24/48 ADC, so
it's not really anything like a simple line stage. In fact, one can
add modules and expand it into a multichannel preamp/processor.

Kal

Ethan Winer

Scott,

It was bad enough that there was an interesting demo and the Heyser

lecture at the same time...

Not to mention several lectures I wanted to attend but couldn't. As an
exhibitor I even had a free pass!

--Ethan