Default Hi Guys!

I am sorry for all the grief I caused.
I posted these essays for my next year students
at their request. Apparantly one of them is
a member here and informed me it was a good
audio discussion group to post personal recording
and mixing experience.
It was by now means intended to be taken as
gosple; just my experience. First and foremost I am
a music Prof not a technical guy and have many shortcomings
there.
I will remove all posts
as soon as possible.
Sorry about all the chaos and hostility!
All the best
kevin

John_LeBlanc

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am sorry for all the grief I caused.
I posted these essays for my next year students
at their request. Apparantly one of them is
a member here and informed me it was a good
audio discussion group to post personal recording
and mixing experience.
It was by now means intended to be taken as
gosple; just my experience. First and foremost I am
a music Prof not a technical guy and have many shortcomings
there.
I will remove all posts
as soon as possible.
Sorry about all the chaos and hostility!
All the best
kevin

"Apparently a member here"? This is Usenet, Kevin. There is not membership in
this newsgroup.

And apparently not only is "he" a fan of yours, and the two of you share the
exact same IP address, he also constructs his posts like you do. Compare yours
above with this one:

"Audioamigo" wrote in message
oups.com...
I love Black Velvet.
It's one of the best sounding tracks ever done.
If a guy like Kevin is willing to give us information about
how he recorded and mixed it (I checked) than I am in.
Too bad for you joe, she seem to be very frustrated
because you don't even compare to someone at
kevin's level
Amigo
LA

Odd, that.

This behavior is beneath dignity. It just looks really, really bad.

Finally, you may cancel your posts with Google, but that's not going to get rid
of them worldwide. It won't get them off of most news providers. And it won't
remove copies of them as they were replied to, either.

What's worse, there are any number of web sites that now archive Usenet. So,
from now on, when someone Googles your name, these threads and their replies
will pop up. Those aren't going away, either.

Always look before you leap.

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX

philicorda

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:54:20 -0800, kevindoylemusic wrote:

I am sorry for all the grief I caused.
I posted these essays for my next year students
at their request. Apparantly one of them is
a member here and informed me it was a good
audio discussion group to post personal recording
and mixing experience.
It was by now means intended to be taken as
gosple; just my experience. First and foremost I am
a music Prof not a technical guy and have many shortcomings
there.
I will remove all posts
as soon as possible.
Sorry about all the chaos and hostility!

Relax. Usenet is a funny old place.

If you have done no wrong, don't go trying to remove all your posts and
apologising, just write back 'So killfile me!'.

People get into month long flamewars and call each other all kinds of
horrible things here. Often over the minute details of subjects like
dither, doppler distortion and the best banjo mic for under $5000.
A month later, the same people will be helping some kid out about why he's
not getting good results recording birdsong with a 57 plugged into the
line input of his Soundblaster Live.
Don't take it so seriously!

Logan Shaw

George Gleason wrote:
Logan Shaw wrote:

You can't remove posts. Usenet doesn't work that way. I guess
you are fairly new to Usenet, then...

thunderbird allows posts you make to be removed

It surely does this by sending out a cancel message.

Many news servers do honor cancel messages, and many
just ignore them. So, while it does do something,
it doesn't do very much in a reliable way.

but if they hit google archives first your history

Or anyone else's archives. Lots of web sites mirror certain
newsgroups relating to the topic of the web site.

- Logan
Scott Dorsey

George Gleason wrote:

thunderbird allows posts you make to be removed

No, thunderbird allows you to issue a cmesg cancel to your local news
server. The problem is that most news servers ignore them... even if your
local server cancels the message, it's probably already propagated to the
next site downstream and odds are they don't accept cancels.

Fiascos with forged cancellation in the early nineties basically caused
most sites to ignore cancels.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...ion-Techniques

reddred

wrote in message
ups.com...
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...ion-Techniques

What exactly are you trying to pull?

jb

Good Point

I think with dynamic control it is a good idea to engage the
correct attack and released times for both limiting and compression.
I find with limiting it should be transparent so the
mix still has dynamics with the dynamic articulation
in the attack of the signal. So getting in and out with
very fast attack and release times is needed.
This part of the signal is very short in duration and contains mostly
the noise element of the signal and not much of the resonance or pitch,
For example If you hit a piano key with 2 different intensities, the
front part of
the waveform will sound similar in frequency content. Research
shows that you have to get into the signal by approx 10-30ms in order
for the 2 different signals to sound different due to their overtone
series structure.
It is at this point that I would recommend compression with med attack
and release times. This will allow the dynamic attack part of the
signal
to pass through because the attack time is to slow to grab the peak.
It is here that the resonance and sustain part of the signal is
compressed
and controlled. I find with this method you can control how much
articulation
of the attack you want and how much of the resonance you desire. I will
usually
Eq after I compress so the compressor sees a signal that is manageable
in
its frequency response. With a Piano it is important, for if the right
hand is
holding a chord, and the left hand has low-end bass excursions, you
don't
want to distort the harmonic balance of the right hand especially if
the chord needs to be held over changing bass lines. Some say a stereo
link is good but I feel you need to manage the signal before the stereo
compressor engages the signal.
Bruce Hornsby illustrates this beautifully with his unique piano sound
kevin
What do you think John

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

wrote in message ...

Sorry about all the chaos and hostility!

That's ok... this whole charade won't last much longer.

dale

bruce hornsby exemplifies the lack of dynamics beautifully
I listen to his cd's and when he is solo or with his whole band, it is
just the same volume
no musical dynamics
over processed pop music that could be
if the engineers would quit doctoring the session

db

David Morgan (MAMS) Feb 15, 1:07 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: "David Morgan \(MAMS\)" - Find messages
by this author
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:07:33 GMT
Subject: Hi Guys!

MAMS:
"That's ok... this whole charade won't last much longer."

When you're done there's still that whole JFK thing to unwravel.

This is starting to get funny!

By the way Kevin (or whomever you are) interesting insights on
compression and limiting attack.

Just press the red button with the word "record" printed on it. Anybody
can do it.
Andrea
http://www.andrearogers.com

Scott Dorsey

dale wrote:
bruce hornsby exemplifies the lack of dynamics beautifully
I listen to his cd's and when he is solo or with his whole band, it is
just the same volume
no musical dynamics
over processed pop music that could be
if the engineers would quit doctoring the session

I don't think that's the fault of the engineers. I don't even think it's
the fault of the producers. I think it's deliberate and part of the whole
style. I don't like it, but I don't have to buy his records.

In some way, I think he takes a lot from the "smooth jazz" style more than
from anything else.

Jedd Haas

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

I think you're a bot that needs the 'paragraph' plugin.

--
Jedd Haas - Artist
http://www.gallerytungsten.com

hank alrich

db wrote:

By the way Kevin (or whomever you are) interesting insights on
compression and limiting attack.

LOL!

--
ha