Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
cwlondon

Default Old School, 2 Channel Car Stereo Audiophile? Am I the Only One Left?

Can anyone help?

I have a Porsche 2000 Boxster S that came with the factory "upgraded"
digitally enhanced system and 6 (?) speakers.

To further improve the system, a dealer in CT meticulously installed
an a/d/s 650 amp and a/d/s woofers in the door. The bass improved but
I would say lots of money later the system is not yet where I want it
to be.

I am thinking about:

A Nakamichi CD 400 to replace the Becker head unit

Replacing or disconnecting the factory in dash speakers splashing up
into the windshield

Focal?

Disconnecting the rear "speakers"

Adding a Milbert Tube amplifier

constructing some sort of "pods" or kickplate modifications so the
speakers can fire more on axis and give me a normal, 2 channel stereo
image.

My car stereo in 1980 sounded MUCH better than anything I have heard
in the last five years.

I dont need DVD, playstations, subwoofers, 170 DB etc, -- just good
clean, musical, non fatiguing, channel stereo sound. To give you
some idea, I like Audio Research tube amps and Magneplanars at home.

Any ideas? Are there any decent dealers in the NYC tri state area?

Thank you and best wishes.

1N