Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west west is offline

Default Quest for Old Amp

About 25 years ago I had a new Threshold S500SE Stasis Amp to run my
Acoustats 2+2s. Not too swift back then & misled by the salesman to buy the
most expensive amp he had in the store to run my Acoustats. A friend came to
my house and tried his rather diminutive but front heavy amp. It simply
outclassed the Threshold, especially in the bass. This SS amp had a plain
19 inch faceplate with a rocker power switch. It had a plain black front
panel with 2 hefty black metal posts for handles. The front to back was
small and the amp seem to have a minimum amount of components, but was
heavy. Nothing fancy.
I really would like to have an amp like that now to drive my woofers with my
tube amp on top. I don't know if it was a Hafler, Adcom, or something like
that with 2 large tubular handles. Any ideas out there? I would be most
appreciative. Thank you.

west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

west wrote:
It had a plain black front
panel with 2 hefty black metal posts for handles. The front to back was
small and the amp seem to have a minimum amount of components, but was
heavy. Nothing fancy.

Amps meeting that description were made by Harmon Kardon (Citation
series), Hafler (DH500 for one) and several others. If you can find a
HK Citation 16 (the version w/o the LEDs), that would make your day. No
fan, no frills. I keep the one with the LEDs, but it came both ways.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west west is offline

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"west" wrote in message
[...]

Did it have a fan? Did it have external heatsinks?

I forgot to mention that it had a huge external heat sink on the left side
and right side in the back, no fan. The heat sinks seem to be larger than
the amp part. No heat sink in the middle part of the back that's where the
cabling connectors (in/out) went.

west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
graham graham is offline

[...]

.... sounds like it might be an early Bryston, maybe the 3 or 3B or an
early Mark Levinson, could be a Belles too

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

west wrote:

I forgot to mention that it had a huge external heat sink on the left side
and right side in the back, no fan. The heat sinks seem to be larger than
the amp part. No heat sink in the middle part of the back that's where the
cabling connectors (in/out) went.

That sounds very much like the blank-face version of the Citation 16, A
squat amp with the heat-sink fins almost as long as the rest of it,
thick wire handles, connections center rear, heat-sinks to either side.
10 output devices per channel.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west west is offline

"west" wrote in message
[...]

You say, "the amp seem to have a minimum amount of components". This is an
important clue. Did you happen to see the insides, and notice that the
circuit board(s) were rather small?

Bob Morein
Dresher, PA
(215) 646-4894

Yes, the circuit pcb was small. The transformer, which took up most of the
space made the amp unbalanced and front heavy. Remember, the 2 handles in
the front were round cylinders. This was a high current amp. BTW: I'm not
absolutely sure if the plain black front panel was a full 19 in. wide.

west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bob H. Bob H. is offline

west wrote:
[...]

The description sounds like a Phase Linear amp. I had an old Phase
Linear 400, which I sold on ebay, since they are still pretty hot
items.

Here's a link to one now. I don't know if they made black ones.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PHASE-LINEAR-400...em290047375260

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

west wrote:
Yes, the circuit pcb was small. The transformer, which took up most of the
space made the amp unbalanced and front heavy. Remember, the 2 handles in
the front were round cylinders. This was a high current amp. BTW: I'm not
absolutely sure if the plain black front panel was a full 19 in. wide.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

The above is a link to the Citation 16, albeit with tiny images. They
came in black and silver fronts, LED meters and no LED meters.

Phase Linear did not make black-fronted units.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Top Right shows a "black box" Dynaco 400, which came with handles as
you describe, But that unit had a continuous vertical heat-sink and
space for a fan, something you would not likely mistake. And the Hafler
DH500 has a relatively small heat-sink as compared to the depth of the
entire chassis. Adcom (and Bryston) as I remember put their heat-sinks
along their sides and were pretty complicated inside (relative to the
P/L or H/K).

But, are you trying to find *that* amp or a very good power-amp in
general?

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west west is offline

"Peter Wieck" wrote in message
ups.com...

west wrote:
[...]

Well Peter, the speakers I'm trying to optimize have a very low impedance
and require lots of current (Infinity RS IIIB). They sound very satisfying
with my tube amps during soft passages. The aforementioned amp would do the
job but wouldn't be as musical or sweet. So I plan on separating the (2) 12
in. woofers that are in series from the mid & EMIT. In a nutshell, I want an
amp just to drive my woofers (4 ohms total) with tight, well damped and
delineated drive. Any other reasonably priced SS (gasp) amp you can think
of? Thanks.

west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west west is offline

west wrote:
[...]

The handles were not like the Dynaco 400. They were thick cyliders that were
braced in the center. The tops & bottoms did not bend back toward the panel.

west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

west wrote:

Any other reasonably priced SS (gasp) amp you can think
of? Thanks.

Does it want to vintage, and what is 'reasonable'?

The Dynaco 416 is a very high-powered amp stabile into a nominal 2-ohm
load, as is the Citation 16. $400-$600 is about the going rate for
either of them in good-to-excellent condition. The DH200, DH500, and a
couple of others along similar lines come to mind. Both of those should
be well under $400 with patience.

I would avoid Phase-Linear and Crown products as *to me* they sound
like glass in a blender.

Of course, there are more than a few non-vintage amps that will do the
trick nicely as well. There are others here more expert than I on
current choices available, some at very good prices.

Where are you? Are there any equipment dealers in your area that also
deal in used equipment? If so, TRY to audition some options ahead of
committing to any given choice.

No apologies for SS necessary. I keep four tube amps and at this moment
only five SS amps. They each have their place in the Choir.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"west" wrote in message

Well Peter, the speakers I'm trying to optimize have a
very low impedance and require lots of current (Infinity
RS IIIB). They sound very satisfying with my tube amps
during soft passages. The aforementioned amp would do the
job but wouldn't be as musical or sweet. So I plan on
separating the (2) 12 in. woofers that are in series from
the mid & EMIT. In a nutshell, I want an amp just to
drive my woofers (4 ohms total) with tight, well damped
and delineated drive. Any other reasonably priced SS
(gasp) amp you can think of? Thanks.

If you're looking for resaonably-priced power amps that can handle tough
speaker loads, pick from the many fine pro audio amps designed for driving 2
ohm loads. You then get to figure out whether you can put your subwoofer
amp in a place where a cooling fan won't bother you, or whether you need to
get a power amp that lacks a cooling fan.

If you want something that is low priced and gutsy here's a pretty fair
starting place:

http://www.behringer.com/EP2500/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

The cheapest way for you to get lots of tight bass is a
bipolar amp.

Obviously, a true believer in the myth that different output devices must
sound different.

Skip the Haflers, which I love; the old Dynas could be blown by your
setup.

More likely, they wouldn't be happy with the reactive load, and would sound
like mush when pushed.

The most effective
way to get it is with a cheap professional amp. But avoid
Behringer, because their quality control is terrible.

While I'm not a big Behringer fan, I've got a number of pieces of Behringer
electronics, and none failed in the first 10 years I owned it.