Posted to rec.audio.car
mfreak mfreak is offline

Default custom sub box

I maybe want to build a custom ported sub box for 2 JL 12w3v2 D4's. I
have all the specs for Qes, Qms, Qts, Vas, Fs, etc. I have the owner's
manual, which lists off the specs for 'recommended enclosure'. Should
I build a box that conforms exactly to these specs? If I change the
volume or port sizes, will it make the subs quieter, or just change the
tuning? I don't mind making the box bigger and taking up more trunk
space if it will sound better. The recommended port tuning on the
recommended box is 30.8 Hz.

I currently have a generic prefab box, I'm not sure the exact
dimensions, but it's a pretty standard sized slanted front box for 2
12's, 2 divided chambers, 3/4" mdf, with a heavy cardboard port for
each chamber I'd guess is 4" in diameter, not sure how deep. Sounds
pretty good as is imo, will I get a noticable difference in volume
and/or SQ? If I build it with 1" MDF instead of 3/4, it'll be more
solid, will that help?

I mostly listen to heavy metal, some hiphop or rap once in a while, if
it makes a difference.

TIA,