Moe Hair

Default Best portable CD mp3 player?

I was hoping to buy the IRiver Slimx IMP 550 CD/mp3 player as it's touted
as one of the best ever made. It comes with everything (except a hard
drive). Car adapter, ability to do firmware upgrades, and (to me) the most
important thing - a programmable 5 band equalizer. It ran for about $155.
The problem - it was discontinued and no one has it.

Are there any comparable units that sound as good? Apparently this had a
great pre-amp, and fantastic control of the audio frequency spectrum - rare
for a portable unit.
TCS

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 18:26:15 -0600, Moe Hair wrote:
I was hoping to buy the IRiver Slimx IMP 550 CD/mp3 player as it's touted
as one of the best ever made. It comes with everything (except a hard
drive). Car adapter, ability to do firmware upgrades, and (to me) the most
important thing - a programmable 5 band equalizer. It ran for about $155.
The problem - it was discontinued and no one has it.

Are there any comparable units that sound as good? Apparently this had a
great pre-amp, and fantastic control of the audio frequency spectrum - rare
for a portable unit.

I'd rather spend the extra money on headphones or an amp and speakers that
weren't crap.

Any $50 walkman will have no problem puting out a flat frequency response.
The extra $100 would be better spent on speakers or headphones.

sony portable cd/mp3 player resume and shuffle features snafu Audio Opinions 0 December 2nd 04 06:00 PM
Portable CD player for car Stephen J. Herschkorn Audio Opinions 0 June 12th 04 02:01 AM
portable MP3-DVD player Jenny General 0 May 23rd 04 06:01 PM
Portable CD/mp3 Player for the car - Recommendations? bucko Car Audio 0 December 28th 03 08:06 PM
Looking for a portable CD player with a real resume feature Bice General 0 July 27th 03 04:19 PM