Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

Default "Birthday" recordings

We traveled to San Francisco this weekend to celebrate my birthday with
my inlaws and for some shopping. In Berkeley, we hit the great "Musical
Offering" for both lunch and CD shopping. I bought some more Bach
Cantatas (close to the full set now) and a new release in the RCA Living
Stereo re-releases: Berlioz: Harold in Italy and assorted Overtures with
Munch and the BSO. GREAT sound on this disk. HIGHLY recommended. At
Amoeba, I found the Cisco LP re-release of the legendary Shostakovitch
5th from Columbia with Bernstein/NYPhil. I'm not a big fan of most of
the old Columbias, but this one has a reputation for good sound, and I
like Cisco's work, so I went for it (the most important thing is the
great performance, which I already had on CD). The audio result is
mixed; really good timbres, only fair dynamically compared to the best
LPs and CDs. The surfaces are really good. On balance, far more
enjoyable than the harsh CD transfer from Sony, but not my favorite LP
by far. The performance though... Ahhhhh!
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] elmir2m@shaw.ca is offline

On Nov 6, 10:30 am, Jenn wrote:
[...]

.. Which set of Bach Cantatas? I'v been listening to as many of them
as I could find over the last two months and preparing lazily an
account of my choices , which do not concur with yours- (I'm well
aware of my deficiences and your -ficiences in music but fools rush
in...)
Thank you for posting about music. In the RAO the way it is nowadays
its like stumbling on an oasis in the midst of endless sand waste..
Ludovic Mirabel

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Lionella said:

Agree, you will our coconut.

Anybody want to bet Krooger doesn't say a word about Slut's poor English?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Lionel Lionel is offline

George M. Middius a écrit :

Lionella said:

Agree, you will be our coconut.

Anybody want to bet Krooger doesn't say a word about Slut's poor English?

Your perspicacity never ceases to amaze me. :-D
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

La Salope dangles her wares in the seedy part of town.

Agree, you will our coconut.

Anybody want to bet Krooger doesn't say a word about Slut's poor English?

Your

Krooger does that post-posting editing thing, too.

perspicacity

If the subject were you, would you be "amazed" by your own dishonesty?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Lionel Lionel is offline

George M. Middius a écrit :

La Salope dangles her wares in the seedy part of town.

Agree, you will our coconut.

Anybody want to bet Krooger doesn't say a word about Slut's poor English?

Your

Krooger does that post-posting editing thing, too.

perspicacity

If the subject were you, would you be "amazed" by your own dishonesty?

I confess that I'm *disgustingly* dishonest.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article
,
MiNe 109 wrote:

In article

et,
Jenn wrote:

We traveled to San Francisco this weekend to celebrate my birthday with
my inlaws and for some shopping. In Berkeley, we hit the great "Musical
Offering" for both lunch and CD shopping. I bought some more Bach
Cantatas (close to the full set now) and a new release in the RCA Living
Stereo re-releases: Berlioz: Harold in Italy and assorted Overtures with
Munch and the BSO. GREAT sound on this disk. HIGHLY recommended.

I've been thinking about this rep recently.

At
Amoeba, I found the Cisco LP re-release of the legendary Shostakovitch
5th from Columbia with Bernstein/NYPhil. I'm not a big fan of most of
the old Columbias, but this one has a reputation for good sound, and I
like Cisco's work, so I went for it (the most important thing is the
great performance, which I already had on CD). The audio result is
mixed; really good timbres, only fair dynamically compared to the best
LPs and CDs. The surfaces are really good. On balance, far more
enjoyable than the harsh CD transfer from Sony, but not my favorite LP
by far. The performance though... Ahhhhh!

I'll bet it's better than the bargain cassette I found in 1980 or so.

Stephen

lol
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article om,
Bret Ludwig wrote:

RCA Living Stereo: Are you talking vinyl or SACD?

SACD

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article . com,
" wrote:

On Nov 6, 10:30 am, Jenn wrote:
[...]

. Which set of Bach Cantatas?

This shopping trip, I bought more the Gardiner/English Baroque Soloists
set. I'm also heavy on the Harnoncourt set on LP. Their
interpretations are not nearly the same, but both quite legit, IMHO.
And excellent sound from both, btw.