Posted to rec.audio.car
brianlanning brianlanning is offline

Default What would you do?

Hi Everyone. I'm getting ready to build a new system. I have 2 RF
12s, already. I also have two hifonics amps which I like very much.
One is a 50x4 which I plan to bridge to 100x2. The other is a 5
channel 50x4 plus 200x1 iirc. I plan to wire the 12s in parallel on
the mono channel, then run maybe some 6x9s on the 5-channel bridged to
2 100amp channels. I plan to run some components for the fronts on the
50x4 bridged to 100x2.

I need speakers for the back and front, and a head unit. And I have
some money to spend this time around. My main question is about a head
unit choice.

I have a double-din opening, but it's sort of low in the dash for my
liking. My goal is to get as many mp3s as possible for a reasonable
price. I could get a cheaper cd/mp3 player with an ipod interface and
get the 60gig ipod. That route looks like it would cost $600-$700
(just the hu & ipod, not speakers). I don't like the idea of putting
mp3s on separate CDs because I think they're not big enough. I could
use a changer, but I still have to burn CDs, which is annoying. With
the ipod though, I could have about 2/3 of my collection there all the
time and just never burn CDs.

Alternatively, instead of the ipod, I could get one of those DVD
players that will play mp3s off a burned dvd. I'm back to burning
disks in that case, but I'd have to burn a lot less. So maybe that's
ok. I'm also tempted to get a fold-out display with touch screen.
That would get the display higher in the dash. But it's a lot more
money. And the $700 from option 1 gets me close to the low end foldout
screens.

What I really want is a head unit with a large hard disk in it and a
wireless network so I can connect to my PC from the driveway, then copy
all the mp3s over. But then I wouldn't have the portability of the
ipod. And I'm not sure anyone makes something like this anyway.

I'd also like a 7" touch screen display that controls everything, and
mounts on a stalk that I can put higher up. That wouldn't block the
a/c controls like a foldout would. But I don't think anyone makes
this. Would one of these auto PCs do this? For $700 or less?

So what would you get? Is there a product like I'm describing that I
havn't heard of? Would you just get the cheap cd player and ipod?

brian

Posted to rec.audio.car
dubbin it up dubbin it up is offline

I run my 20gb ipod from a rear aux input and i wouldn't go any other way.
It's mess free. No cd/dvd to worry about and a tun of music. Also, if you
get an ipod you can use it outside the car too if you want!!! Added
Bonus!!!

--
_______
/__ | ___\\___

Rockford 501bf
Mtx Thunder
Clarion dxz765mp
MTX
"brianlanning" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Jamie Pruden Jamie Pruden is offline

Hi Brian,

Crutchfield is now carrying JVC head units that will play MP3s off of a
DVD. 4 GB of MP3s is pretty generous.

smiles,
Jamie

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Wait a sec., you mean to say that if I burn a DVD full of MP3's my Alpine
9853 will not play it?

Thanks,
MOSFET

"Jamie Pruden" wrote in message
Hi Brian,

Crutchfield is now carrying JVC head units that will play MP3s off of a
DVD. 4 GB of MP3s is pretty generous.

smiles,
Jamie

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Forget it, dumb question on my part. Of course my Alpine won't play DVD's.
It wasn't designed for that. Duh.

MOSFET

"MOSFET" wrote in message
Wait a sec., you mean to say that if I burn a DVD full of MP3's my Alpine
9853 will not play it?

Thanks,
MOSFET

"Jamie Pruden" wrote in message
Hi Brian,

Crutchfield is now carrying JVC head units that will play MP3s off of a
DVD. 4 GB of MP3s is pretty generous.

smiles,
Jamie

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain_Howdy Captain_Howdy is offline

And you're calling me stupid? You're so bright they should all you sunny.

"MOSFET" wrote in message
Wait a sec., you mean to say that if I burn a DVD full of MP3's my Alpine
9853 will not play it?

Thanks,
MOSFET

"Jamie Pruden" wrote in message
Hi Brian,

Crutchfield is now carrying JVC head units that will play MP3s off of a
DVD. 4 GB of MP3s is pretty generous.

smiles,
Jamie

Posted to rec.audio.car
Agave Agave is offline

brianlanning wrote:
snipped

What I really want is a head unit with a large hard disk in it and a
wireless network so I can connect to my PC from the driveway, then copy
all the mp3s over. But then I wouldn't have the portability of the
ipod. And I'm not sure anyone makes something like this anyway.

I'd also like a 7" touch screen display that controls everything, and
mounts on a stalk that I can put higher up. That wouldn't block the
a/c controls like a foldout would. But I don't think anyone makes
this. Would one of these auto PCs do this? For $700 or less?

snipped

If you want to go the PC route, Google "car pc" and "carputer". There
are lots of products and support for doing integrated audio, video,
navigation, mobile computing, voice, and smart car integration. If you
want some links, let me know and I'll post some of the ones I have.
Good luck!

--
Agave
/Salud, dinero, amor y tiempo para disfrutarlos/