Posted to rec.audio.car
Dinsdale Dinsdale is offline

Default 6.5" Coaxial Repair

Has anyone had any success repairing a 6.5" coaxial speaker?

I have pair of Polk 6.5" coaxial speakers - the woofer is out on one side. I
can still hear the tweeter, though.

I can't see anything wrong with the speaker itself. The pair are in
remarkable condition, and the cone and surround are perfect.

I can't see any broken leads anywhere, either. Does the plastic rim of the
tweeter come off, and does it reveal anything I might be able to fix?

Or is the voice coil gone on the woofer itself?

Are these things worth trying to fix? I hate to just dump them.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Dinsdale wrote:

Or is the voice coil gone on the woofer itself?

If you have a multimeter, you can check the resistance of the voice
coil... if it reads open or shorted (or just about anything outside the
range of 2 to 10 ohms, after allowing it a few second for the meter
voltage to charge the tweeter's crossover cap), then it's probably the
voice coil, although there is a chance it's just one of the little Litz
wires that runs from the terminal to the cone.

If you can hear a scratching sound when manually moving the cone up and
down, the voice coil and/or suspension are definitely fried.

Are these things worth trying to fix?

If it's just a loose/broken Litz, a solder touch-up at the right spot
may do the trick... if the coil is toast, forget it; the only way to fix
a blown voice coil is with a recone, and you don't find recone kits for
many coaxial car speakers.

I hate to just dump them.

You could always rip the tweeters out and use them for spares...
Posted to rec.audio.car
Dinsdale Dinsdale is offline

Thanks, Matt.

I checked the continuity on every pair of leads I can see or access, and no
shorts were found.

I'm at a loss here.

Anyone want a pair of USED 6.5" speakers?

Dinsdale

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
Dinsdale wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald bob wald is offline

matt do you have chickens??? because i'm hearing ''cheap'' ''cheap''
''cheap'' ''cheap''..lol
hey i had my oil changed the other day.. i was thinking if i ran hot
water though the filter could i use it again??????
i cant believe i've been thoughing away these things! geez

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

bob wald wrote:
matt do you have chickens??? because i'm hearing ''cheap'' ''cheap''
''cheap'' ''cheap''..lol
hey i had my oil changed the other day.. i was thinking if i ran hot
water though the filter could i use it again??????
i cant believe i've been thoughing away these things! geez

This from the fool who thinks JVC is high-end gear...
Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald bob wald is offline

jvc is better than i thought thou.. not high end.where did i say that.
infinity/alpine is thou.

Vintage tube equipment for sale commonsenseaudio Vacuum Tubes 7 January 3rd 06 06:43 AM
Carrying audio signal - only have 1 coaxial Mike C Tech 16 December 27th 05 07:58 PM
Bad CD Repair Pro yarik Tech 0 November 23rd 05 08:00 AM
Bad CD Repair Pro yarik Audio Opinions 1 November 22nd 05 08:36 PM
HHB repair dilemma Garthrr Pro Audio 16 December 8th 03 03:37 PM