Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default Buying subs, need some advice.

I just went to the Fosgate site and it was indeed what I suspected, a
removable plastic ring that allows for backwards mounting and hides the
screws.

I tried to find the page that had cut-away illustrations of the subwoofers
but apparently they have removed that page (and for good reason as it made
the Stage One subs look ridiculous). I'm glad you went with the P2, that
seems like a MUCH better sub than the P1.

MOSFET

"John Comma Smith" wrote in message
MOSFET wrote:

Oh, absolutely. I think their higher end subs are outstanding, although
maybe a little overpriced. Their lowest end subs, however, are a
different story. I just wonder about all that metal "bling" they
surround the motor with in the lower end subs. I mean, obviously the
basket does not have to be built industrial strength as they are not
designed to handle lots of power. So, IMHO, you are paying for
metal-work that serves no purpose that I can see. If you REALLY want to
clearly see what I'm talking about, go to the Fosgate website. They have
cut-away illustrations of all their subs and in the lower-end subs you
can see for yourself that the magnet and voice-coil are quite small, yet
the surrounding metal work is, frankly, ridiculous. That's why I would
stay away from Fosgate's lower end subwoofers. Their higher end subs,
however, are a different matter. They are built beefy through and
through.

MOSFET

Well, I ended up going with just a single 10" P2 powered by the P200.2.
That metal work that you are referring to surrounding the cone is just a
plastic piece that can be left off. I left it on because I like the look
of it.

I also bought a ported box for it, and I must say that I am throughly
satisfied with it. It is only one sub and it kicks out a major amount of
bass, just to my liking. I like it too because you can only hear the bass
in the car, more than 5 feet outside the car and you can not hear it.

It may not be the best out there, but it suites the sound that I like in
my music. Thank you guys for all the advice that you have given me.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Jamie Pruden Jamie Pruden is offline

Hi Captain,

Amps do sound the same to about 90% of the public... sort of the same
way that many people think that 128K mp3s are "CD quality." It's all
about perception. If you think one amp sounds better than another amp,
buy it. When I checked out this amp, it had more "air" around the high
end than the other amps I auditioned (PrecisionPower, RF Power Series)
so I went with it. My hearing has declined (used to be a Bradley
Gunner in the service) in the past few years and I'm not as sensitive
to high frequencies as I once was.

The amp is in a relatively enclosed space, so the fan was important as
I tend to run things a little louder than the average bear (see above
for why.)

smiles,
Jamie

On 2006-07-15 15:43:58 -0700, (Captain Howdy) said:

What you have said below is very interesting, it's cleaner than most.
Some people will tell you that all amps sound the same. My question is,
why do you need a fan ?

"I use a McIntosh amp in my car... not necessarily because it's a high
end amp (it is) or it's cleaner than most (it is,) but because it gives
me 6 channels of power and it's fan cooled. I don't run it into
clipping and it sounds awesome through my Dynaudio speakers."

Posted to rec.audio.car
Jamie Pruden Jamie Pruden is offline

Hi Bob,

Macintosh is the computer.
McIntosh is the amp/speaker manufacturer.

In fact, when Apple wanted to do the Macintosh, they paid McIntosh off
so they could use the name.

My amps test sheet says 0.005% distortion. Beat that.

smiles,
Jamie

On 2006-07-15 19:47:14 -0700, (bob wald) said:

mcintosh is a computer right? mctosh is music.lol
next i'll put my Sherwood xat3000 against your amp any day... .02thd!
next speakers shape your sound in alot of ways. speakers are the
cheapest way to improve your system..i think. n easyest..
thats why now i'm looking for acouple different speakers to have to get
different sounding system if i get boarded..lol
looking at the new jvc..theyre better than i thought..hhmmmm looking
good.
wonder if thier new line sounds different than last yrs speakers???

Posted to rec.audio.car
Jamie Pruden Jamie Pruden is offline

Hi Captain,

He is pretty funny, though... kinda like your younger brother that
thinks he knows about everything because he read it in Mad magazine...

smiles,
Jamie

On 2006-07-15 15:37:49 -0700, (Captain Howdy) said:

Bob is still around? lol

In article 2006071515051475249-null@bitbucketcom, Jamie Pruden
wrote:
Hi Bob,

Please... without naming models and parameters, you can't say that and
be serious...

smiles,
Jamie

On 2006-07-10 12:02:56 -0700,
(bob wald) said:

theres not a rf/jl sub that will ever touch a infinity sub! EVER!
INFINITY 1 of the best speaker makers in history of the world!

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

I came across this review of the P2 in CA&E:
http://www.caraudiomag.com/testrepor...car_subwoofer/

Apparently, you have selected a very well regarded sub, congratulations.
And I now know what you were talking about as far as the plastic cover
covering the motor structure as that was mentioned in the review.

MOSFET wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Eric Bateman Eric Bateman is offline

bob wald wrote:

02 or .005 both you cannot hear so whats the difference...
i was stating your amp isnt twice my amp..oh by the way your amp 1ohm
stable? mine IS.lol
but of coarse itll raise thd on 1ohm.

Hue tott yoo how two spel?
Posted to rec.audio.car
Cyrus Cyrus is offline

In article ,
Eric Bateman wrote:

bob wald wrote:

02 or .005 both you cannot hear so whats the difference...
i was stating your amp isnt twice my amp..oh by the way your amp 1ohm
stable? mine IS.lol
but of coarse itll raise thd on 1ohm.

Hue tott yoo how two spel?

Please don't feed the animals, thank you.

--
-Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*
Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald bob wald is offline

eric, i looked over my post didnt see any mispelled words..lol
i seen afew left off '. but big deal..
i'm not no spellin champ.this is true.
but if you doing car audio.i dont think you care so much about
grammar.lol
i've drove into afew stereo install shops. n left out.because i didnt
feel good about how the installers looked or talked..lol