Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Steven[_3_] Steven[_3_] is offline

Default Audio Question For Center Channel and Front Speakers

I will be picking up a used B&W CC6 center channel speaker to
complement my B&W 601 fronts. I have a dvd player connected to my 5.1
AV receiver through a coaxial digital connection. No subwoofer or
surrounds yet. If I am watching a DVD with 5.1 channel sound through
the receiver with my setup, will the center channel sound be routed to
the center? I assume that it would. Does the receiver adjust the sound
so that the subwoofer and surround sounds are routed to the fronts? I
have a new Onkyo receiver that is a basic 5.1 model. It has a few
movie sound modes, but none of them work right now with only the two
front speakers setup.

Thank you.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Kalman Rubinson[_3_] Kalman Rubinson[_3_] is offline

On 22 Dec 2009 17:33:14 GMT, Steven
wrote:

I will be picking up a used B&W CC6 center channel speaker to
complement my B&W 601 fronts. I have a dvd player connected to my 5.1
AV receiver through a coaxial digital connection. No subwoofer or
surrounds yet. If I am watching a DVD with 5.1 channel sound through
the receiver with my setup, will the center channel sound be routed to
the center? I assume that it would.

I can and should

Does the receiver adjust the sound
so that the subwoofer and surround sounds are routed to the fronts?

Mebbe. You have to go through the setup menus on the Onkyo
and tell it which speakers you have connected and which ones
not. You should tell it that the speakers are "full range"
because you do not have a subwoofer. If and when you add
more speakers, you will have to repeat this and edit your
entries.

I have a new Onkyo receiver that is a basic 5.1 model. It has a few
movie sound modes, but none of them work right now with only the two
front speakers setup.

That is probably because you have not done all the necessary
setup procedures. You do have a user's manual, don't you?

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 09:33:14 -0800, Steven wrote
(in article ):

I will be picking up a used B&W CC6 center channel speaker to
complement my B&W 601 fronts. I have a dvd player connected to my 5.1
AV receiver through a coaxial digital connection. No subwoofer or
surrounds yet. If I am watching a DVD with 5.1 channel sound through
the receiver with my setup, will the center channel sound be routed to
the center? I assume that it would. Does the receiver adjust the sound
so that the subwoofer and surround sounds are routed to the fronts?

Many surround receivers have a setup option that asks the user whether or not
one is using a center channel speaker. If so, the center channel amplifier
carries the center channel information from Dolby Digital, Pro-Logic and DTS
5.1 or 7.1 sound. OTOH, if one does NOT have a center channel speaker, the
center channel information is split equally between right and left front
speakers. Similarly, setup should ask if you are using a separate subwoofer.
While most receivers don't actually have a amplifier for the sub built-in
(although I'm sure that there are SOME that do), most have an RCA output for
the sub that routes the "point-one" info to that jack for use with a
self-powered sub or a separate amp. If you tell the receiver that you do NOT
have a separate sub-woofer, in some cases, it routes the the "point-one'"
info through the right and left front (main) speakers. Often though, less
expensive receivers just allow the the main speakers to operate full-range
and the sub-woofer "point-one" info isn't used at all (unless you connect a
self-powered sub to the "point-one" output jack on the back of the receiver).

To not use the surround and still get the entire program, use the Dolby Pro
Logic setting on your receiver, or choose one of the straight stereo modes
offered. In the Pro-Logic setting, you'll still hear the rear channel info
(albeit somewhat attenuated) but you have the advantage that the Pro-Logic
circuitry will send all L+R info to the center channel. If you decide to use
the 5.1 soundtrack by selecting either Dolby Digital or DTS sound, if you
don't have surround speakers, you will miss out on the rear-channel info.

My Harmon-Kardon AVR-7000 surround receiver has 4 "cinema" surround modes:
DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro-Logic and Dolby 3-Stereo. If I had your speaker
arrangement; I.E. Right, Left, and center speakers only, I'd choose Dolby
3-Stereo, as that's the arrangement it was designed for. You need to check
your manual to see what your actual options are. If you lack a manual, you
can visit Onkyo's web-site. Often, manuals are available for download as PDF
files at these manufacturer's web sites. Many even have manuals for older
models available.

I hope this helps.

Audio_Empire

I have a new Onkyo receiver that is a basic 5.1 model. It has a few
movie sound modes, but none of them work right now with only the two
front speakers setup.

Thank you.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Steven" wrote in message
I will be picking up a used B&W CC6 center channel speaker to
complement my B&W 601 fronts. I have a dvd player connected to my 5.1
AV receiver through a coaxial digital connection. No subwoofer or
surrounds yet. If I am watching a DVD with 5.1 channel sound through
the receiver with my setup, will the center channel sound be routed to
the center? I assume that it would. Does the receiver adjust the sound
so that the subwoofer and surround sounds are routed to the fronts? I
have a new Onkyo receiver that is a basic 5.1 model. It has a few
movie sound modes, but none of them work right now with only the two
front speakers setup.

Thank you.

I don't know that specific receiver....but most multitrack players and
multitrack receivers allow you to specifiy which channels are actually
active, and to make logical adjustments to fold in the missing channels.
Another option for you would be to output the multitracks as stereo, and set
the receiver to a matrix three-channel surround. Sometimes this works even
better.

Center Channel Speakers Tony F Car Audio 10 January 18th 06 04:46 AM
Is front center channel sufficient? aramar Audio Opinions 3 April 24th 04 12:11 AM
Center Channel Question neamb2 Tech 15 December 29th 03 12:59 AM
center channel advice Dan Jensen High End Audio 8 December 23rd 03 04:08 PM
Making a "center" channel from 2 speakers - how does it work? Mark A Miller Pro Audio 4 August 2nd 03 03:18 PM