Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default those pesky sony HD FM receivers

a while back there was a discussion thread here about a small silvery Sony
HD FM receiver that was supposedly really good - so I bought one - I don't
like the user interface, but I thought I'd post about a design flaw - on my
unit at least, the audio quit intermittently, and a few days ago would quit
entirely in both channels - took it apart (that's a bit of a chore, to get
the circuit board out without destroying it) and found that the traces that
connect to the RCA jacks, center conductor (e.g. high side) had both broken
right where the through hole for the conductor is - very thin traces - they
should have been larger - I don't know if the cause was thermal or
mechanical stress, but whatever it was, there was no continuity from the
surface mount device in series with the output and the output itself - so
the solution was then straightforward - add a jumper wire from the device to
the output jack that would bypass the defective trace on each channel -

I used to think Sony meant quality (or at least good consumer quality) - I
doubt it now - this radio does get better reception than what it replaced,
but it's a real PITA to use and now with a design flaw like this....grrr

--
Bill -
www.wbnoble.com
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 08:11:41 -0800, Bill Noble wrote
(in article ):

[...]

My experience with Sony equipment is that they are the "80%" company. Every
Sony product I have ever owned has been excellent - up to 80% of the "total
package". Something is always wrong or quirky. It's either a design decision
or an interface booboo, or a reliability problem. How about an HD camcorder
where the built-in microphones are omni-directional? The sound of the
operator breathing is louder than the audio that one is trying to capture
with the video! How about a gorgeous jewel of a portable stereo cassette
recorder. Dolby B, servo capstan for low wow-and flutter, etc. Comes with a
leather field case. Case has no window on it to allow operator to see LED
record indicators! How about a "special" rechargeable battery that when it
wore-out couldn't be replaced because Sony had stopped making them, and the
form factor was such that a third-party solution couldn't be found either!
How about a $4000 SACD player that refuses, every now and again, to output
any sound when playing a disc (CD or SACD)? Luckily, turning the unit off and
back on again has always solved the problem. How about a Sony HDTV that won't
allow the user any control over aspect ratio? If you play a DVD of an old 4:3
standard movie or TV program, the Sony TV assumes that because it's coming in
through the component video inputs that the program is high-definition and
therefore needs to be anamorphically stretched and does so and YOU can't
defeat it. How about a very expensive semi-pro reel-to-reel tape recorders
that makes excellent recordings, except that it goes through capstan motors
so quickly, that Sony quickly used up all the spares made? The recorder
became a useless lump less than 5-years after bought new.

I could go on. Needless to say, I don't buy Sony any more. I've had my fill
of unreliable, unfinished products from them.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
isw isw is offline

In article ,
"Bill Noble" wrote:

[...]

For as long as I can recall (well over 20 years), Sony has had problems
with reliability of soldered joints on PCWBs.

You'd think they'd learn...

OTOH, I've gotten some nice pieces of gear for the price of inspecting
those boards for the telltale circular cracks, and redoing them.

Isaac

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
sparky sparky is offline

On Dec 28, 3:50=A0pm, isw wrote:
In article ,
=A0"Bill Noble" wrote:

[...]

And now with lead free solder the problem has increased by several
times.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 04:15:27 -0800, sparky wrote
(in article ):

On Dec 28, 3:50=A0pm, isw wrote:
In article ,
=A0"Bill Noble" wrote:

snip for length

For as long as I can recall (well over 20 years), Sony has had problems
with reliability of soldered joints on PCWBs.

And now with lead free solder the problem has increased by several
times.

I hadn't thought of that, but you're right. Lead-free solder is mostly tin
(96%) with a about 3% of silver and a trace of copper. Without the lead, it
would tend to be more brittle than regular solder, and thus, much more likely
to crack.

Audio_Empire

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Audio Empire" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 04:15:27 -0800, sparky wrote
(in article ):

On Dec 28, 3:50=A0pm, isw wrote:
In article ,
=A0"Bill Noble" wrote:

snip for length

For as long as I can recall (well over 20 years), Sony has had problems
with reliability of soldered joints on PCWBs.

And now with lead free solder the problem has increased by several
times.

I hadn't thought of that, but you're right. Lead-free solder is mostly tin
(96%) with a about 3% of silver and a trace of copper. Without the lead,
it
would tend to be more brittle than regular solder, and thus, much more
likely
to crack.

Audio_Empire

you may be right, though I didn't notice an ROHS tag so it may or may not
have been lead free - but it wasn't the connection that failed, it was the
circuit trace itself that separated from the pad - I suspected a vibration
induced crack, but on further contemplation, I think it was due to the heat
of soldering the connection - whatever it was, the stupid thing broke, and I
had to fix it. (the good news is, that if anyone else on the NG has one,
they can be on the lookout for this problem and the fix is now known)
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 22:20:26 -0800, Bill Noble wrote
(in article ):

"Audio Empire" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 04:15:27 -0800, sparky wrote
(in article ):

On Dec 28, 3:50=A0pm, isw wrote:
In article ,
=A0"Bill Noble" wrote:

snip for length

[...]

I'm sure that Sony, like everyone else on earth (seemingly) manufacturers in
China and that your tuner, was doubtless, made there. While China CAN make
some very good stuff, It depends upon the how diligent the client company is
about quality. I've bought good and bad Chinese stuff, and it's really
variable.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
sparky sparky is offline

On Dec 31 2009, 11:28=A0pm, ScottW wrote:
On Dec 31, 8:35=3DA0am, Audio Empire wrote:

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 22:20:26 -0800, Bill Noble wrote
(in article ):

"Audio Empire" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 04:15:27 -0800, sparky wrote
(in article ):

On Dec 28, 3:50=3D3DA0pm, isw wrote:
In article ,
=3D3DA0"Bill Noble" wrote:

snip for length

For as long as I can recall (well over 20 years), Sony has had pro=

bl=3D
ems
with reliability of soldered joints on PCWBs.

And now with =3DA0lead free solder the problem has increased by sev=

eral
times.

I hadn't thought of that, but you're right. Lead-free solder is most=

ly=3D
=A0tin
(96%) with a about 3% of silver and a trace of copper. Without the =

le=3D
ad,
it
would tend to be more brittle than regular solder, and thus, much mo=

re
likely
to crack.

Audio_Empire

you may be right, though I didn't notice an ROHS tag so it may or may=

n=3D
ot
have been lead free - but it wasn't the connection that failed, it wa=

s =3D
the
circuit trace itself that separated from the pad - I suspected a vibr=

at=3D
ion
induced crack, but on further contemplation, I think it was due to th=

e =3D
heat
of soldering the connection - whatever it was, the stupid thing broke=

, =3D
and I
had to fix it. =3DA0 (the good news is, that if anyone else on the NG=

has=3D
=A0one,
they can be on the lookout for this problem and the fix is now known)

I'm sure that Sony, like everyone else on earth (seemingly) manufacture=

rs=3D
=A0in
China and that your tuner, was doubtless, made there. While China CAN m=

ak=3D
some very good stuff, It depends upon the how diligent the client compa=

ny=3D
=A0is
about quality. I've bought good and bad Chinese stuff, and it's really
variable.

Just a couple of points. =A0Being less pliable than leaded solders
doesn't result in lead free being more brittle. =A0I've seen comparative
cross sections of solder joints after =A0thousand of temperature
cycles. =A0Some lead free joints had no cracks, in fact looked nearly
new, while leaded solder looked like the greenland icecap with
fractures everywhere.
The biggest problem with lead free solder is increase reflow temp
requirements that can cause poor quality printed wiring boards a
problem which often shows up as pad delamination from the board and a
fracture at the trace pad connection. =A0Making matters worse, it would
not surprise me if the board in question was single sided and had no
through hole plating putting any mechanical stress from the connector
completely into the pad.

In any case, virtually every circuit card assembly made in China these
days is lead free. =A0Asking a contract manufacturer to assemble with
leaded solder practically requires a dedicated line as they don't want
any cross contramination. =A0It's now the exception rather than the rule
and comes with an added cost.

ScottW- Hide quoted text -

Due to several reasons , equipment built with lead free solder is not
as reliable as conventional solder.

That is why medical and military equipment are exempt from the ban on
leaded solder.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

"Audio Empire" wrote in message

[quoted text deleted -- deb]

[...]

I checked - the case does say made in China.

And, in response to the reflow temperature - the failure was at the trace to
pad connection, and there holes were not plated through. So, as I said,
another downtick for "Sony = Quality"

so, guys, is there a modestly priced receiver that has the modern circuitry
of the little Sony unit but adds the following features:

1. it turns on automatically when power applied (so it comes on when I turn
on the stereo master switch)
2. when power is applied, it is on the band and station that it was on when
power was removed (not an issue with older units that had a mechanical
tuner)
3. controls and indicators are on the front, not on the top

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 16:28:44 -0800, Bill Noble wrote
(in article ):

[...]

But how does it sound? Is the digital FM good quality? Have you listened to
any digital AM (or does it even do that, I don't recall), and if so, what
does that sound like?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
"Audio Empire" wrote in message

snip

so, guys, is there a modestly priced receiver that has the modern
circuitry
of the little Sony unit but adds the following features:

1. it turns on automatically when power applied (so it comes on when I
turn
on the stereo master switch)
2. when power is applied, it is on the band and station that it was on
when
power was removed (not an issue with older units that had a mechanical
tuner)
3. controls and indicators are on the front, not on the top

Like a real tuner, you mean?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Bill Noble" wrote in message

so, guys, is there a modestly priced receiver that has
the modern circuitry of the little Sony unit but adds the
following features:

1. it turns on automatically when power applied (so it
comes on when I turn on the stereo master switch)
2. when power is applied, it is on the band and station
that it was on when power was removed (not an issue with
older units that had a mechanical tuner)
3. controls and indicators are on the front, not on the
top

Have you checked out Sangean's line of FM radios?

I notice that for example their WFR-1 is a "digital radio" with line out
jacks, so it could easily be connected to a hifi system.

http://www.sangean.com/products/spec...d=6&pan=2&um=3

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Bill Noble" wrote in message

so, guys, is there a modestly priced receiver that has
the modern circuitry of the little Sony unit but adds the
following features:

1. it turns on automatically when power applied (so it
comes on when I turn on the stereo master switch)
2. when power is applied, it is on the band and station
that it was on when power was removed (not an issue with
older units that had a mechanical tuner)
3. controls and indicators are on the front, not on the
top

Have you checked out Sangean's line of FM radios?

I notice that for example their WFR-1 is a "digital radio" with line out
jacks, so it could easily be connected to a hifi system.

http://www.sangean.com/products/spec...d=6&pan=2&um=3

that looks nice, but what I want, as another poster so nicely put it, is a
"real tuner" - actually, I have several "real tuners" but they are older
technology and this sony actually works better and decodes HD FM - it sounds
fine, it just annoys the **** out of me - and no, I haven't tried the AM -
here in the west coast wasteland there is nothing I've found worth listening
to on AM since KRLA terminated the credibility gap (ok, that's a test -
anyone remember the show? or Lohman and Barkley's show?)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Bill Noble" wrote in message

[...]

I did a little research. The Sony radio is based on chips developed by
Philips and now sold by a spin-off of theirs.

So, the question becomes who is their competition in DSP-based baseband
radio processors, and what radios do they show up in?

One competitor is TI, but I can't find any mention of on-the-shelf products
using them.

Another competitor is Frontier Silicon, who claims to have sold millions of
chips like these, but is mum about which radios use them.

Ths PR item for Frontier Digital mentions Samsung, but in the context of
cell phones, which are built using similar technology. Later on the same PR
item mentions Bang & Olufsen, Denon, Grundig, JVC, Philips, PURE Digital,
Roberts Radio, Samsung, Sharp, Sony and TEAC as customers.

Presumably, there is branded product from some of these sources that is not
yet another "real tuner", but rather uses virtual, DSP-based technology.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Bill Noble" wrote in message

[quoted text deleted -- deb]

[...]

Interesting research - maybe this is a hopeless quest and I should just give
up - put the old tuner back and just ignore the lesser quality - sometimes
the best sounding thing is just so annoying that one can happily settle for
second best - kinda like my stereo itself - it sounds just great but is so
annoying to turn on that I rarely use it