Thomas Bishop

Default The old drummer is out

"Psy" wrote in message
When you do fire him, make it memorable or he'll turn up for the next gig.

We were afraid of that with the last guitarist we fired. Every practice for
a couple of weeks or so we were thinking, "Is he going to show up? Did that
dumbass get the hint?"

Roger W. Norman

Don't advertise for a player, go find a good player and then steal him/her
away. Be proactive. I'm sure you can find a player if you hit enough
clubs.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Rob Adelman" wrote in message
Useless unreliable drunk. I don't have time for that anymore. Anyone in
the Twin Cities want to start a band with me?

Roger W. Norman

Just give him a memo that says "This is a list of CURRENT band members.
Please note that YOU ARE NOT ON THE CURRENT band member's list. This list
of CURRENT band members superscedes all other lists where you were on the
list. If your name is on a list, that list is not current, so currently,
you are not on the list of CURRENT band members."

Sorry, comes from years of government contracting where, when writing
technical papers, I used to have to tell them what I was going to tell them
and where, then tell them, then tell them I told them and where I told them.
Makes for a lot of redundant writing, but ultimately it does get the idea
across.

--

"Thomas Bishop" wrote in message
"Psy" wrote in message
When you do fire him, make it memorable or he'll turn up for the next

gig.

We were afraid of that with the last guitarist we fired. Every practice

for
a couple of weeks or so we were thinking, "Is he going to show up? Did

that
dumbass get the hint?"

Thomas Bishop

"Analogeezer" wrote in message
We once fired a keyboard player by having me show up at his house with
his gear in my truck after he got back from a cruise with his
girlfriend.
I know that sounds ****** but the guy was a real ace.

No, it doesn't. We had two guitarists, they were friends. We decided to
fire one and the other one let us know (a little too late) that they had
once been in a band together. They practiced at this guy's house (the one
we fired), and one night they just moved practice and never told the other
guy. So now we're firing the second guitarist. With Guitarist #1 we told
him to meet us at a coffee shop and that's where we gave him the ax (and not
a new guitar). We're thinking about calling Guitarist #2 and telling him,
"Meet us at The Edge; we have some things we need to discuss." evil laugh

Funny how people you fire from bands are always so shocked....like
they don't have a clue that they suck, or have personal problems, or
are just not getting it.

We've been playing the same damn songs since February and our guitarist is
wondering why we don't seem to be progressing. And every time I want to
tell him........

Okay, I'm finished.

Eric Toline

Not being involved in the music recording side of the business, I wonder
do flakes & drunks become musicians or the other way round?

Eric

ryanm

"Rob Adelman" wrote in message

Useless unreliable drunk.

Add "waste of life" and you're describing 99% of the musicians I've ever
met.

I don't have time for that anymore. Anyone in
the Twin Cities want to start a band with me?

Good luck with that. We have to change drummers about every 6 months
because of that, and we're a steady gigging band with a good reputation. By
the time we get the new drummer ramped up and comfortable with us, it's time
to start looking for a new one. Fortunately, we have a core group of members
who are reliable and willing to put in the effort required, but those would
be myself, my two brothers who are the guitar players, and the keyboard
player, who has played in whatever band I was in for the past decade. So our
rhythm section changes about every 6 months, which really has the effect of
keeping us from graduating to higher paying gigs. It's frustrating, to say
the least.

ryanm

NeilH011

Just give him a memo that says "This is a list of CURRENT band members.
Please note that YOU ARE NOT ON THE CURRENT band member's list. This list
of CURRENT band members superscedes all other lists where you were on the
list. If your name is on a list, that list is not current, so currently,
you are not on the list of CURRENT band members."

Yeah, but then he could show up next week & say: "But you didn't tell me I
wasn't on the list of FUTURE band members!"

NeilH

Rob Adelman

Roger W. Norman wrote:

So even if you have a group of talented people it doesn't mean it will
really be a group. Can be pretty frustrating.

Yes it is rare when everything just clicks. Of course then usually
somebody dies..

Roger W. Norman

Hey, it happens. I was playing with a group of reasonably talented people,
mostly from slightly different genres of music, but it should have worked.
I couldn't get that group of people to work as a group at all. Virtually
nothing came together and I basically had to pack up their equipment and ask
them to leave. Too fricking depressing. A guitar player who uses fake
books and can play well, or doesn't use fake books and can't play a lick.
Very strange. A bass player from jazz but didn't understand rock. He got
reggae alright though! g

So even if you have a group of talented people it doesn't mean it will
really be a group. Can be pretty frustrating.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
Purchase your copy of the Fifth of RAP CD set at www.recaudiopro.net.