Posted to rec.audio.pro
Andre Majorel Andre Majorel is offline

Default ADAT lightpipe cables

My second hand ADI Pro 8 came with two toslink/ADAT lightpipe
cables.

The unbranded cable has 6.5 mm minus a couple tenths between the
tip and the locking tab. It fits perfectly.

The Sharp cable has 6.5 mm PLUS a couple tenths. It fits in the
socket but doesn't lock. This cannot be good for the optical
link.

I've got to buy longer cables. How do I know if they'll fit
properly ?

http://www.thomann.de/fr/pro_snake_o..._kabel_10m.htm Pro snake 5.80
http://www.thomann.de/fr/optical_kabel_10m.htm The sssnake 9.70
http://www.thomann.de/fr/mutec_optisches_kabel_10m.htm Mutec 15.60

I need 8, so the thinness of the Mutec is a selling point. Its
price isn't, however.

Best wishes for 2011, all.

"The object of this year's expedition is to see if we can find
trace of last year's expedition."
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Andre Majorel wrote:
My second hand ADI Pro 8 came with two toslink/ADAT lightpipe
cables.

The unbranded cable has 6.5 mm minus a couple tenths between the
tip and the locking tab. It fits perfectly.

The Sharp cable has 6.5 mm PLUS a couple tenths. It fits in the
socket but doesn't lock. This cannot be good for the optical
link.

I've got to buy longer cables. How do I know if they'll fit
properly ?

RME uses real toshiba interfaces. Any standard TOSLINK cable will
fit. It sounds like the Sharp one you have is not standard.

http://www.thomann.de/fr/pro_snake_o..._kabel_10m.htm Pro snake 5.80
http://www.thomann.de/fr/optical_kabel_10m.htm The sssnake 9.70
http://www.thomann.de/fr/mutec_optisches_kabel_10m.htm Mutec 15.60

I need 8, so the thinness of the Mutec is a selling point. Its
price isn't, however.

The attenuation on the TOSLINK cables varies a whole lot from one
manufacturer to another, and if you are going ten meters, that is
going to make a difference. Pick the cable with the best attenuation
specs. If the cable does not have published specs or no datasheet is
available, look elsewhere.