Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default embedded track data on audio CDs

I'd like a simple answer to this question, if a simple answer is possible.
I'm not looking to start a megillah.

It was only a few months ago that I noticed some CDs displayed text
information on my SACD player. I didn't know that Red Book supported such a
format.

Could someone point me to more information about this?

Thank you.

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

Posted to rec.audio.pro
UnsteadyKen UnsteadyKen is offline

William Sommerwerck said...

Could someone point me to more information about this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text

--
Ken O'Meara
http://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Could someone point me to more information about this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text

Thank you. I didn't think it would be so-readily available in Wikipedia.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

William Sommerwerck wrote:
I'd like a simple answer to this question, if a simple answer is possible.
I'm not looking to start a megillah.

It was only a few months ago that I noticed some CDs displayed text
information on my SACD player. I didn't know that Red Book supported such a
format.

I think it's actually another one of the colored books.

Could someone point me to more information about this?

Look for references to "CD-Text" data. It's stuff in the subcode of the
lead-in portion of the disc. Sonic has supported it since the late nineties
but earlier Sonic systems can't do it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
UnsteadyKen UnsteadyKen is offline

William Sommerwerck said...

Thank you. I didn't think it would be so-readily available in Wikipedia.

No bother.
CD Text appears to be very rarely used, I only have the one commercial
cd which lights up the indicator on my player. Many of the CD writer
progs claim to support it but the results I get are very hit and miss
with all sorts of strange characters appearing on the display and have
never managed to produce a mix cd with correct labelling.

--
Ken O'Meara
http://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Thank you. I didn't think it would be so-readily available in Wikipedia.

No bother.
CD Text appears to be very rarely used, I only have the one
commercial CD which lights up the indicator on my player.

I listen mostly to classical, and the text data show up fairly often -- at
least on CDs from the past decade.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Thank you. I didn't think it would be so-readily available in Wikipedia.

No bother.
CD Text appears to be very rarely used, I only have the one
commercial CD which lights up the indicator on my player.

I listen mostly to classical, and the text data show up fairly often -- at
least on CDs from the past decade.

It seems very rarely used on "pop" CDs as so few players support it.

For what it's worth, Nero and the Toshiba utilities support writing it,
and Windows Media player can retrieve it if asked.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson wrote:

I listen mostly to classical, and the text data show up fairly often -- at
least on CDs from the past decade.

It seems very rarely used on "pop" CDs as so few players support it.

For what it's worth, Nero and the Toshiba utilities support writing it,
and Windows Media player can retrieve it if asked.

If you're mastering a commercial CD you might as well use it since it
adds so little additional work.

The HHB800 standalone recorder can actually add CD-Text data although the
procedure to do so is rather cumbersome.

What annoys me is that so few players support index marks today.... I
don't even bother using them anymore.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:
If you're mastering a commercial CD you might as well use it since it
adds so little additional work.

It's an attitude thing with the studios that make the stuff I tend to
buy, I suspect. I always put it onto masters, and as you say, it only
takes a few minutes.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

John Williamson wrote:

I listen mostly to classical, and the text data show up fairly often -- at
least on CDs from the past decade.

It seems very rarely used on "pop" CDs as so few players support it.

For what it's worth, Nero and the Toshiba utilities support writing it,
and Windows Media player can retrieve it if asked.

If you're mastering a commercial CD you might as well use it since it
adds so little additional work.

The HHB800 standalone recorder can actually add CD-Text data although the
procedure to do so is rather cumbersome.

What annoys me is that so few players support index marks today.... I
don't even bother using them anymore.

Does anyone know what I can use on Mac OS8.6 to read the ISRC codes? I
have been assiduously typing them into 'Jam' for years, but I have never
found out if they appear correctly on the discs.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Adrian Tuddenham wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:

John Williamson wrote:

I listen mostly to classical, and the text data show up fairly often
-- at least on CDs from the past decade. It seems very rarely used
on "pop" CDs as so few players support it.

For what it's worth, Nero and the Toshiba utilities support writing it,
and Windows Media player can retrieve it if asked.

If you're mastering a commercial CD you might as well use it since it
adds so little additional work.

The HHB800 standalone recorder can actually add CD-Text data although
the procedure to do so is rather cumbersome.

What annoys me is that so few players support index marks today.... I
don't even bother using them anymore.

Does anyone know what I can use on Mac OS8.6 to read the ISRC codes? I
have been assiduously typing them into 'Jam' for years, but I have never
found out if they appear correctly on the discs.

Hmmm... I think the original version of Emagic's Waveburner app will do
that. I used to run that in 8.6.

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
UnsteadyKen UnsteadyKen is offline

William Sommerwerck said...

I listen mostly to classical, and the text data show up fairly often -- at
least on CDs from the past decade.

Doh!, of course that would explain why I don't see it often. After a
recent "mishap" I have been assidously replacing favourite pieces with
the CD versions bought from charity (thrift) shops most of which are
original CD issues from the early days of digital and predate CD text.
Sad tale he
http://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/classlplist.html

--
Ken O'Meara
http://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/
Posted to rec.audio.pro
alex alex is offline

Il 17/12/2010 15.44, William Sommerwerck ha scritto:
I'd like a simple answer to this question, if a simple answer is possible.
I'm not looking to start a megillah.

It was only a few months ago that I noticed some CDs displayed text
information on my SACD player. I didn't know that Red Book supported such a
format.

Could someone point me to more information about this?

Thank you.

A cdda can have up to 99 tracks, each one should be longer than 4
seconds. So you can use tracks between 01 and 99 for audio. CD-text
informations are written in the track 00. So, in the fact, the red-book
support a maximum of 100 tracks!
Not many standalone cd player support the feature but many people uses
computers to play back cd right now, and is not uncommon to have a
cd-text capable software player. Also many dvd player support the feature.
Personally i always put that informations on the cds i create and the
pressing company will always respect it. I think is better to write the
correct info than rely on freedb or cddb websites.
A CD-text disc need a compatible player to display infos, but otherwise,
all other cd features will work perfectly, so there's no risk in using it.
In opposite, right because modern DVD player supports just a basic set
of the red-book features, using PQ codes to have not silent gaps between
tracks is not always a good idea in terms of compatibility.
Ok CD-text is not fundamental but is something nice freely available.
why not?

alex

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"UnsteadyKen" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck said...

Thank you. I didn't think it would be so-readily
available in Wikipedia.

No bother.
CD Text appears to be very rarely used, I only have the
one commercial cd which lights up the indicator on my
player. Many of the CD writer progs claim to support it
but the results I get are very hit and miss with all
sorts of strange characters appearing on the display and
have never managed to produce a mix cd with correct
labelling.

I've had very consistent results with my 2006 Milan CD changer and discs I
burn with nero