acousticguitar

Default Need help with Sacramento shop / installer

Hi everyone, I am posting this because I could use your support/help in
dealing with this matter, especially if you are part of the Sacramento
car audio community. (and I am getting somewhat desperate)

Back in February and early March, I got my hands on a lot of gear. I
was going to get it all installed by Anthony's Car Stereo out in
Orangevale, CA. (which is right next to Sacramento) Why? 2 reasons: (1)
I don't have much time and have no skill in installing stuff, so I
don't want to break or mess up anything. (2) the owner owes a friend
of mine a big favor. (ok, it's a debt for work that my friend did for
him years ago) The owner has never paid off that debt. So he agreed to
do my install to pay off that debt he owes.

My install should be fairly simple overall. JBL speakers all go in
stock locations. Tweeters need a custom mount on the dash, but that is
supposed to be a very simple job for him. Subwoofers require a custom
box, which is the only semi-difficult thing. Alpine HU but I have the
dash kit. Finally, I have some 40 odd sq. ft of Damplifier and Damp Pro
to be installed on the front doors, the rear door, and the quarter
panel where the subs go.

The owner agreed to do the install as long as I came out to Sacramento,
which is a long drive for me, during business hours. (nearly 2 hours
each way, almost getting me in trouble at work!) He said he wanted to
see what kind of equipment I wanted installed to verify he could do it.
I drove out there two months ago. He looks at my stuff for 5 minutes
and says he can do it and that he will call me in a month and a half
when he's less busy. No real check-I think he did it to make sure
that I was serious and to try to get his way out of doing my van. But I
made the drive. Anyways, he knows my type of minivan b/c his crew had
done work on installing DVD players on a whole fleet of them, so my
install should be easy for him. (which he acknowledged)

It's almost May now and I keep calling in every few weeks to check in
with him. He tells me that he is so busy because he doesn't have
enough installers-that's what he says each time. He keeps saying
he'll call me. The last time I called, he said he was booked for the
next 3-4 months, which means that my stuff which I bought in February
or March is no longer returnable and going to be well into their
warranty period. (arg!) He has been scheduling business and refusing to
even put me down for an appointment. Last time he said I had a 1 day
job, now he claims it's a 4 day job. Anything to get out of paying
off a debt I think. All the while he's been leading me along!

To make matters worse, he's ignoring my friend who he owes a small
sum of money to. Refuses to return phone calls or messages. Even my
friend thinks the whole situation is messed up and I am getting
shafted.

The only option he's given me is to go to his "other" shop in
Sacramento for the install. Which of course, is not his shop-its his
brother's shop, which I hear does sub-standard (crappy) work. And
since there is no debt between my friend and his brother, I would have
to pay an arm and a leg for shoddy work I can get done closer to home.

I really don't have the money to burn on another installer since
I'm in major educational debt. So I am posting this to rally some
support. If people want to write letters or call Anthony to put some
pressure on, that would be nice. Especially if you mention you are from
blank forum on the internet, that way he would realize that he's
not just shafting me, but he's going to ruin his shop's reputation
if he doesn't act. Especially if you know the shop or are from the
area, I could use the support. Thanks for listening to me rant.

Anthony's Car Stereo
9172 Greenback Lane, Suite S
Orangevale, CA 95662-5902
(916) 988-6930

Thanks!

Spike

It's now May. Accepting that all you say is accurate, I would have
been long gone already.

There are too many shops available in the Sacramento region with
excellent reputations. Orangevale is just one of many areas which make
up the Greater Sacramento Area. Surely you have friends you could get
references from.

Part of your problem is that you are trying to get something for
nothing. And if this guy actually stiffed your friend, what does that
say about his business practices?

Meanwhile, your equipment sits around gathering dust. I'd say, move
on. Make the investment, or learn to do it yourself.

On 30 Apr 2005 11:21:01 -0700, "acousticguitar"
wrote:

Hi everyone, I am posting this because I could use your support/help in
dealing with this matter, especially if you are part of the Sacramento
car audio community. (and I am getting somewhat desperate)

Back in February and early March, I got my hands on a lot of gear. I
was going to get it all installed by Anthony's Car Stereo out in
Orangevale, CA. (which is right next to Sacramento) Why? 2 reasons: (1)
I don't have much time and have no skill in installing stuff, so I

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Cyrus

In article .com,
"acousticguitar" wrote:

[...]

IMO One's time would be better spent learning, instead of trying to get
free work out of somebody. Debt or not, especially somebody else's debt.
This wasted time could have been spent reading and experimenting about
12V audio & electronics to get your gear installed. To get things done
right, one must do it themself.

I wouldn't touch this debt triangle issue with somebody else's pole.

hth,

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

acousticguitar

Anyone have any good refs for Bay Area installers then? (SF or East
Bay preferred) I'm short on cash, so if there is someone who does good
work for good prices, it would be much appreciated.

Spike wrote:
There are too many shops available in the Sacramento region with
excellent reputations. Orangevale is just one of many areas which

make
up the Greater Sacramento Area. Surely you have friends you could get
references from.

Jeremys4runner Jeremys4runner is offline
Junior Member

This sounds like a very simple install, if you have any kind of handyman skills whatsoever, you should be able to tackle this in a few hours. I don't know make and model of your vehicle, but try Drinstall.com, If that address doesn't work then search Dr. install. This is a free site that will step by step guide you along with your install for most vehicles. Make sure you have a wiring harness for your vehicle as this will make it easier on you. It usually won't cover speaker replacement, but if they are stock sizes in stock locations that should be self explanatory. Contact me if you have further questions and i will try to help you through it.

acousticguitar

yeah, i'm going to try to get someone else. =(

my friend said if he doesn't hear by the end of the week, we're looking
for a new shop together. (he's a really cool guy)

anyone know of good, inexpensive bay area installers? =(