jiffy

Default Remote Turn On - Low Voltage Trigger Problems

muting FETs are beyond my knowledge, as is rigging up anything more than
a low voltage trigger.

Newer GM vehicles come with a RAP system, or Retained Accessory Power.
All it means is that once you shut off you car and remove the key, the
radio will continue to play for up to 10 minutes or until you open the
driver door (whichever is sooner).

There is NO wire in the vehicle (from what I've been told by many
people) that turns on and off with the radio's RAP system. The radio
itself always has power and a class 2 data bus is what tells it when to
turn on and off internally, even though the power is still there.

This means that the only thing I could pick up a signal on when RAP is
on and off when everything is off is through a speaker wire, but
because the voltage drops on the wire once a certain volume is reached,
the trigger shuts off.

What does all this mean? Unless you are electronically educated its
impossible to keep rap on anything that is amped (without buying some
$80 relay from GM.

I checked my fusebox, and I found a fuse I can run the remote turn on
off of, but just like an accessory wire, it will be off once the key is
removed and anything hooked to the amp won't run durring the RAP
phase.

I would have liked to keep RAP, because it was just a nice feature, but
it's not gonna happen for my sub and if I swap out my door speakers and
amp those I will lose those too. Not a huge deal really, just
something I wanted to try and keep.

So, I'm going to run the remote turn on off of my fusebox. One last
question, does it matter which leg of the fuse I hook it to? I heard
one leg is protected (I don't know which) and I don't know if that
means to hook it to that one or the unprotected.

Thanks guys.

--
jiffy
jiffy's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=33416

jiffy

No, the car isn't leased, but since this stuff is getting beyond my
skill I'd rather just live without the RAP and keep everything workin
before I mess it up.

I could use an ignition wire but the fuse box will be much easier.

Thanks for the info.

--
jiffy
jiffy's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=33416
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=216420

Chad Wahls

"jiffy" wrote in message
news:1114625294.b733d615ab414b876df1e5f125258337@t eranews...

[...]

Pull the fuse and look for voltage on one side, hook to the side without
voltage so that when the fuse is inserted the circuit will be protected.

Is the car leased? I may have an idea but could be a waste of breath as it
will involve opening up the radio.