Havok Havok is offline
Junior Member

Default How do you choose speakers?

Maybe I am obessesing too much over this since I am by no means an audiophile.

Anyway.. I need to replace the speakers in my 1999 Saturn SC1 because they are blown. I am currently using a panasonic head unit (45W x 4 max), MOS-FET ouput stage..etc.

How do I choose replacement speakers. I know the basic requirment is to handle at least 45 RMS. But what else?

Some people have recommended Pioneers which can be found for $20 on ebay.

Others recomended Audiobahn ACS2062 for about $60 (Specs seem good,large magnet size)

http://www.thezeb.com/p-Audiobahn-AC...ers-108493.htm

I was looking at these Kenwood Excelon KFC-168

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ybfUkHl...0&I=113KFCX168

But Crutchfield says they won't fit.. Why is that the mounting depth is only 2-1/4"?

Crutchfield reccomended these Kenwoods

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ybfUkHl...1739&s=0&cc=01

Am I driving myself crazy for nothing. Should I just put anything in? I am not planning on installing an amp or subwoofer.
Tony F

Call me weird, but I like actually listening to speakers and choosing the
ones that sound best.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP (Just gettin' started)

Brandonb

Heathen. Don't you know that you can't trust your ears to tell what
sounds good? [/sarcasm]

Brandonb

Tony F wrote:
Call me weird, but I like actually listening to speakers and choosing the
ones that sound best.

Tony

Havok Havok is offline
Junior Member

Yes that would be ideal, but I wont be using my head unit or the acoustics of a Saturn. Plus, the retail stores are overpriced and the Circuit City and Best Buy near me the displays don't work.

So explain to me how I am supposed to listen to them and get a good comparision between the ones I am looking at?
Mister.Lull

From my experience, if you're just running some speakers inside the car
from the head unit directly, then you really can't go too terribly
wrong. Get the pioneers. They're cheap, they sound decent, and
they'll last for the life of your vehicle. [/twocents]

Mister.Lull

Mister.Lull

Sorry, I must've missed something... You are puting these in your car
aren't you? What I was trying to say was that if you're just going to
be plugging speaker into your head unit in your car, then they're all
going to sound quite similar. That's why I recommend getting the
Pioneers, they're well known, trusted, decent speakers.

Mister.Lull