Iain M Churches

Default Octal Thanks

Just a quick note to thank all those who
gave me a helping hand in selecting an
octal substitute for the EF184 some while back.

The 6SJ7 fits the requirements exactly. I have
used a pair as a phase splitter/driver. They are
also plentiful and not expensive, and boy can they
swing some volts!

Iain

Patrick Turner

Iain M Churches wrote:

Just a quick note to thank all those who
gave me a helping hand in selecting an
octal substitute for the EF184 some while back.

The 6SJ7 fits the requirements exactly. I have
used a pair as a phase splitter/driver. They are
also plentiful and not expensive, and boy can they
swing some volts!

Try 6SH7, they have nearly twice 6SJ7 gm at 4 mA/V,
but the same pinout.

EF184 = 6EJ7 which has gm = 14 mA/V.
the nearest octal equivalent is a 6AC7, gm = 9 mA/V.

Why not use 6EJ7, or 6BX6/EF80?

Patrick Turner

Iain

Iain M Churches

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

Try 6SH7, they have nearly twice 6SJ7 gm at 4 mA/V,
but the same pinout.

EF184 = 6EJ7 which has gm = 14 mA/V.
the nearest octal equivalent is a 6AC7, gm = 9 mA/V.

Why not use 6EJ7, or 6BX6/EF80?

Thanks. I will try 6SH7.
Being able to change valves and tweak a little is one of
the many things I enjoy about thermionic audio.

Iain