Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

Default What, no 27nF film capacitors??

I cannot seem to find anyone selling 27nF film capacitors, or for that
matter 2n7F or 270nF. It seems that only E6 values are available these
days in film caps i.e. 10,15,22,33,47 and 68.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On 06/06/10 16:38, Ian Bell wrote:
I cannot seem to find anyone selling 27nF film capacitors, or for that
matter 2n7F or 270nF. It seems that only E6 values are available these
days in film caps i.e. 10,15,22,33,47 and 68.

Cheers

Ian

I should have said 'leaded' film caps because of course they are readily
available in SMT.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Doug Bannard Doug Bannard is offline

"Ian Bell" wrote in message
I cannot seem to find anyone selling 27nF film capacitors, or for that
matter 2n7F or 270nF. It seems that only E6 values are available these days
in film caps i.e. 10,15,22,33,47 and 68.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian:

Have a look at DigiKey and I think that you'll find that they are available
there in either polyester or polypropylene:

http://www.digikey.com.

All the best : Doug Bannard

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Engineer[_2_] Engineer[_2_] is offline

On Jun 6, 7:58*pm, "Doug Bannard" wrote:
"Ian Bell" wrote in message

I cannot seem to find anyone selling 27nF film capacitors, or for that
matter 2n7F or 270nF. It seems that only E6 values are available these days
in film caps i.e. 10,15,22,33,47 and 68.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian:

Have a look at DigiKey and I think that you'll find that they are available
there in either polyester or polypropylene:

http://www.digikey.com.

All the best : Doug Bannard

Am I the only one to worry about the demise of "leaded", i.e. wired,
components? Already I am adapting PCB components (short stub wires)
for vintage radio use. How long will we be able to go on?
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Watt? Me worry? Watt? Me worry? is offline

"Ian Bell" wrote in message

I cannot seem to find anyone selling 27nF film capacitors, or for that
matter 2n7F or 270nF. It seems that only E6 values are available these days
in film caps i.e. 10,15,22,33,47 and 68.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian:

Have a look at DigiKey and I think that you'll find that they are available
there in either polyester or polypropylene:

http://www.digikey.com.

All the best : Doug Bannard

Am I the only one to worry about the demise of "leaded", i.e. wired,
components? *Already I am adapting PCB components (short stub wires)
for vintage radio use. *How long will we be able to go on?
Cheers,
Roger- Hide quoted text -

Hi RATs!

The old radios will go on a long time. Our being able to repair them
to original is vanishing all around us.

It was fun while it lasted. In the old days, I was not aware I was
using authentic vintage components. They were new, at the time 8*D

Instant History.

Over before you got your pants unzipped...

Happy Ears!

Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Ian Bell wrote:

I cannot seem to find anyone selling 27nF film capacitors,
or for that matter 2n7F or 270nF. It seems that only E6
values are available these days in film caps i.e.
10,15,22,33,47 and 68.

It's not too hard to solder leads onto SMT caps. C0G
ceramics are excellent for audio, I think, and readily
available in SMT.

It took ages to solder a couple by hand onto an MCU board,
because I couldn't clamp them in place properly. I thought
I'd probably cooked them to death, but they seem to be OK.
If you can hold them in place properly whilst soldering,
they're a doddle.

If you're getting PCBs made, it might be worth investigating
how much your supplier would charge to mount SMT devices for
you. Otherwise, if you design the board to use SMT caps, it
won't be too hard to solder them on yourself, although it's
hard to make the job look pretty.

Multi-leaded SMT devices are a much bigger problem. When
leads are less than 0.5mm apart, centre to centre, it's
impossible to prevent bridging. Everything becomes a
tedious, unsatisfying and unsightly bodge.

These days, hobbyists are increasingly expected to buy
boards rather than individual components. It's a downward
spiral, obviously, as falling demand depresses producers'
inclination to supply. Same with most hobbies.

Miniaturisation and modularisation have made everything so
cheap, and progress so rapid, that DIY is an indulgence only
affordable by old people with big pensions.

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

PS

Having looked around, I can't find any C0G 27n caps at the
usual places, leaded or SMT.

But cheer up. How about:

http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.co...me.php?cat=397

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
MarkS MarkS is offline

"Ian Iveson" wrote in message
PS

Having looked around, I can't find any C0G 27n caps at the usual places,
leaded or SMT.

But cheer up. How about:

http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.co...me.php?cat=397

Ian

I used the boxed 1uf WIMA's in my Fisher 80T rebuild in place of the
original 1uf electrolytics used on the preamp outputs. I attached extra
length leads cut from cheap resistors. Used interlocked "J's" on the lead
joints and then soldered, worked great.

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jun 7, 1:38*am, Ian Bell wrote:
I cannot seem to find anyone selling 27nF film capacitors, or for that
matter 2n7F or 270nF. It seems that only E6 values are available these
days in film caps i.e. 10,15,22,33,47 and 68.

Cheers

Ian

The 10,15, 22, 33, 47, and 68 numerical values are evenly spaced
between 10 and 100 on a logarithmic scale.

Probably capacitance values are not so critical as resistance values
so you could make good ampifiiers if you were restricted to C of the
above 6 values per decade.

There are 6 values left out of the decade :- 12, 18, 27, 39, 56 and
82.

The DIY hobbyist can still buy all the 12 values per decade between 1
ohm and 10Meg ohm if he wants to and can afford the prices charged by
the Vishay Resistor Mafia which has bought up umpteen resistance
manufacturers who probably were glad they were bought up because of
the declining demand and the cheap asian made resistors flooding the
market.

I think all the guys who were very keen to make their own amplifiers
about 10 yeas ago have made them or they have died, expired, got tired
and fat, become disinterested, gone deaf, gone fully under the thumb
used by the missus, etc, etc, etc, and hardly any ****er is makin' any
****in' thing any ****in' more.

Now we have rec.audio.spam instead of rec. audio.tubes

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jun 8, 1:00�am, Patrick Turner wrote:

I think all the guys who were very keen to make their own amplifiers
about 10 yeas ago have made them or they have died, expired, got tired
and fat, become disinterested, gone deaf, gone fully under the thumb
used by the missus, etc, etc, etc, and hardly any ****er is makin' any
****in' thing any ****in' more.

Now we have rec.audio.spam instead of rec. audio.tubes

Patrick Turner.

Hi RATs!

This NG has never been all that pure I wandered in here in the late
nineties. What is now called pre 9/11

Even when passive components had free leads included in the purchase
price, the geeks who txtd to these boards had personalities. You know,
some were funny, most were not amused nor amusing.

But, we all have plastic keyboards.

Best of all possible wounds...

Happy Ears!

Al Marcy

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jun 8, 4:29*pm, "Watt? Me worry?" wrote:
On Jun 8, 1:00 am, Patrick Turner wrote:

I think all the guys who were very keen to make their own amplifiers
about 10 yeas ago have made them or they have died, expired, got tired
and fat, become disinterested, gone deaf, gone fully under the thumb
used by the missus, etc, etc, etc, and hardly any ****er is makin' any
****in' thing any ****in' more.

Now we have rec.audio.spam instead of rec. audio.tubes

Patrick Turner.

Hi RATs!

This NG has never been all that pure I wandered in here in the late
nineties. What is now called pre 9/11

Even when passive components had free leads included in the purchase
price, the geeks who txtd to these boards had personalities. You know,
some were funny, most were not amused nor amusing.

But, we all have plastic keyboards.

Best of all possible wounds...

I agree, I feel wounded alright.

The modern world continues to spew all over me.

Patrick Turner.

Happy Ears!

Al Marcy

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On 07/06/10 19:15, Ian Iveson wrote:
PS

Having looked around, I can't find any C0G 27n caps at the
usual places, leaded or SMT.

But cheer up. How about:

http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.co...me.php?cat=397

Ian