Posted to alt.guitar.amps,rec.audio.tubes
Stephen Cowell[_2_] Stephen Cowell[_2_] is offline

Default CL score! Roberts Model 90 Two-Piece...

Greetings to our brothers in RAT! (notice crosspost)

Look at this cute thing I couldn't pass up... tube
complement 6AU6x2, 6AQ5,6AR5, and 6X4... for 45$:

http://www.dropshots.com/ki5yg#date/2010-05-02/09:24:09

Here's the cache of an auction I found open:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...m/item/4206065

Estimated $300-500? Opening $50, anyway...

And the *very* best part, perhaps the biggest part, is
the acessory amp/speaker (*not* a part of the auction
above, you'll note). This is one of the coolest
things I've been inside of in a while... mid-50's Japanese
tube type stuff is rare, at least over here. The woofer
has an Oxford code, with what looks like a 1957 date.

Of course, I didn't buy it to play R2R classical
music while sniffing corks... I bought it to *rock*
through. Here's a video of me playing some slide
through it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he8miHR35Rc

.... poor thing's farting out pretty bad at the end, I'm
guessing that the woofer's coil is crispy, it measures
at 7.0ohms, kinda high. The oval speaker is better,
measures at 5.7ohms. I'll try a different speaker soon.
The former owner told me he'd played keyboard
through it... the hi-z mic input is *super* hot, probably
designed for crystal cartridge.

Although I bought it for the amp, the tape deck fits
quite nicely in my '50's tape deck collection. Frankly,
I don't care if it works at all... still a major score.
__
Steve
..

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,rec.audio.tubes
Phil_S Phil_S is offline

"Stephen Cowell" wrote in message
Here's a video of me playing some slide
through it...

Ewwww! Put some pants on next time you wanna show us a vid!

Not a bad find at all. OK slide playing, too, 'til it farted out at the
end. You did well.

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,rec.audio.tubes
Bret L Bret L is offline

On May 2, 5:27*pm, "Phil_S" wrote:
"Stephen Cowell" wrote in message

* Here's a video of me playing some slide

through it...

Ewwww! Put some pants on next time you wanna show us a vid!

Not a bad find at all. *OK slide playing, too, 'til it farted out at the
end. *You did well.

The poor speaker will last about a week or two, depending on string
gauge, pick and whether you are playing a humbucker or single coil.
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,rec.audio.tubes
Stephen Cowell[_2_] Stephen Cowell[_2_] is offline

"Bret L" wrote
On May 2, 5:27 pm, "Phil_S" wrote:
"Stephen Cowell" wrote
Here's a video of me playing some slide

through it...

Ewwww! Put some pants on next time you wanna show us a vid!

Not a bad find at all. OK slide playing, too, 'til it farted out at the
end. You did well.

The poor speaker will last about a week or two, depending on string
gauge, pick and whether you are playing a humbucker or single coil.

We're not using the internal speaker anymore...
at least, not until I get a replacement that can handle
the stress. I think it already has an accesory speaker
output... will be trying this soon.

Just bought the photofact for it... 5$ plus postage,
off eBay.
__
Steve
..

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,rec.audio.tubes
boardjunkie boardjunkie is offline

On May 2, 10:00*pm, "Stephen Cowell"
wrote:
"Bret L" wrote

On May 2, 5:27 pm, "Phil_S" wrote:
"Stephen Cowell" wrote
Here's a video of me playing some slide

through it...

Ewwww! Put some pants on next time you wanna show us a vid!

Not a bad find at all. OK slide playing, too, 'til it farted out at the
end. You did well.

*The poor speaker will last about a week or two, depending on string
gauge, pick and whether you are playing a humbucker or single coil.

We're not using the internal speaker anymore...
at least, not until I get a replacement that can handle
the stress. *I think it already has an accesory speaker
output... will be trying this soon.

Just bought the photofact for it... 5$ plus postage,
off eBay.
__
Steve
.

Thats made by Akai in Japan. Looks pretty cool....due for a cap job
and some other care/feeding tho.

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,rec.audio.tubes
Stephen Cowell[_2_] Stephen Cowell[_2_] is offline

"boardjunkie" wrote
Thats made by Akai in Japan. Looks pretty cool....due for a cap job
and some other care/feeding tho.

Yep, I own the solid-state brothers to this one, both
the Roberts model (very good condition) and the Akai
(nicer wooden case, has issues), as well as cloth-belt
magic-eye recorder, several wire recorders, etc.
Getting a pretty good collection of 50's Japanese
electronica going.

I played it through a 12" extension speaker... rocks
my world. Entirely too much bass for a guitar amp...
but seems to work for slide nicely as-is. No problems
with farting out with the other speaker.
__
Steve
..

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,rec.audio.tubes
Stephen Cowell[_2_] Stephen Cowell[_2_] is offline

"Stephen Cowell" wrote
Greetings to our brothers in RAT! (notice crosspost)

Look at this cute thing I couldn't pass up... tube
complement 6AU6x2, 6AQ5,6AR5, and 6X4... for 45$:

http://www.dropshots.com/ki5yg#date/2010-05-02/09:24:09

Here's my breakdown on the tape deck portion:

http://www.dropshots.com/ki5yg#date/2010-05-03/15:24:06

Basically, same chassis as the amp... as opposed to other
info I've read, the tape deck does have an amplifier in it
(the same *exact* one, actually)... glad I opened it, I found
the motor rattling around inside. Anyone have a line on
those deteriorated 3/4" rubber-iso standoffs, let me know!
Looks like it will pick right up and work if I can get the
motor mounted back right.

I just love finding an un-molested piece and documenting it...
penance for all the electronics equipment that I've scavenged
parts from.
__
Steve
..