Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Watt? Me worry? Watt? Me worry? is offline

Default Abandoning the antiquities

Hi RATs!

My 400 CD changer went silent. So, I am 'ripping' my CDs into my PC.
After ripping, I put them back in the changer... compact storage of
the ancient media.

My PC sounds just fine, to me. But, I am no expert, thank goodness...

Happy Ears!

Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
RickH RickH is offline

On May 10, 12:27*pm, "Watt? Me worry?" wrote:
Hi RATs!

My 400 CD changer went silent. So, I am 'ripping' my CDs into my PC.
After ripping, I put them back in the changer... compact storage of
the ancient media.

My PC sounds just fine, to me. But, I am no expert, thank goodness...

Happy Ears!

Al

For the last year I've ripped my 3000+ jazz CD collection to lossless
audio formats (WMA lossless and FLAC). I also have a program that
will convert a WMA lossless ot FLAC file back to the exact bit-for-bit
copy of the original CD (for burning). Lossless is the only way I
would go to eventually be able to get the courage to let go of my
physical disks. Hard drives are as cheap as crap and there is no
reason at all to use lossy compression schemes like MP3 or AAC any
more. Now I am starting to rip all my DVD and BluRay disks to
lossless ISO files, so they too can be managed on the computer. I can
fit 250 DVD's on a 2TB mirrored drive (4TB total) or 500 DVD's without
mirroring a backup. The ISO files can be played from the computer
using a "virtual" DVD drive (common freeware) and are completely
lossless (same data as original DVD or BluRay).

As another poster said computer sound cards have really awful D/A
converters and headphone amps (as do iPods). For best sound, stream
the CD data directly off the USB bus into an external D/A converter
like the inexpensive nuForce unit or other USB d/a converter.
Lossless files combined with a USB d/a converter will give you
Audiophile sound on a shoestring budget and a music library that will
expose much that you missed hearing from the loose CD collection.

http://www.amazon.com/NuForce-Icon-I...49032&sr =1-7

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On May 11, 1:38*pm, RickH wrote:
[...]

http://www.amazon.com/NuForce-Icon-I...mplifier/dp/B0...

Hmm,

If I want to listen to a CD, I just pick one out and pop it into the
player and play the darn thing.

Same goes for a big black disc with wriggly canyon where a carbon rock
is pulled along to get the best of Satchmo et all.

Bah, ****ing compooters!

Patrick Turner.