Al Marcy

Default The collection - and the collector

Hi RATs!

The Lafayette is one of several Lafayettes I have 'won' on Ebay. It
required lots of work, OK, maybe a few hours for a healthy tech,
several weeks for yours truly I have not yet tried the other
Lafayettes. I also had great success with a Fisher X-101-B, last of
the tube rectified Fishers. It slipped out of service when I tried to
convert it to cathode bias and experienced a regression in my mixed
blessing disease last year.

Fixed bias is good for extracting more power from the tube. It is bad
for being more complex and thereby more susceptable to the whimsies of
MTBF.

I saw lots of nice old tube amps, speaking meta-physically, floating
by in the stream of the Ebay listings and gathered some in for future
restoration and modification. They cost only the price of a few CDs
each and are some Heaven, which is there to coax me to extend my reach
beyond my grasp, as it were. If nothing else, they are now going to be
cleaned and stored in Phoenix, where the climate usually is not too
corrosive. This winter's rains are not usual, right?

_____

I usually replace all caps, eventually, but, this old pair was too
pretty not to try. I had hardwired the circuit without caps and there
were a few DC anomolies in the sound. The old caps silenced them. If
they act up, I will change them, too.

____

Start of Sermonette

Health of this group ... health is a favorite topic of power trippers.
Hitler made lots of loyal fans by getting rid of sick people, as in
killing them. If anyone's posts offend you, just don't read them
anymore. It is childish thinking to say: "Your behaviour offends me.
You change."

Each of us must change to find our path through this world. None of us
need change to make a path for our arrogant brethren. Take your
healthy schtick and jam it where the sun don't shine.

End of Sermonette

_____

Happy Ears!
Al
shiva

"Al Marcy" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Hi Al -
I know you've mentioned it before, but my memory is a sieve (except for a
few stray things). How sick are you? Here's a pea-power homebrew you might
find amusing. http://genericbiz.biz/45/ Design intent? To see a bunch of
old tubes glow...
Hope you feel good 'nuf..
-dim