michael

Default B&O 5

I was wondering if any of you have heard this new speaker based upon the
SAW acoustic lens technology?

I was in their store the other day and was quite impressed. What struck
me was that this was an "in store" demo in a mall where one would think
that the sound would be, at best, average.

At this risk of sounding incredulous, a colleague of mine has a set of
Sound Lab electrostats driven by Wolcott amps. In my opinion, the B&O
was decidedly better.

For those of you who never considered a B&O speaker (I would never have
thought of it, myself), you should check it out if you can.

michael
Buster Mudd

michael wrote:
I was wondering if any of you have heard this new speaker based upon

the
SAW acoustic lens technology?

I have not heard the B&O's, but FWIW a colleague of mine, a
professional audio engineer who's opinion I respect, heard the original
Sausalito Audio Works prototypes and was so impressed as to be rendered
practically speechless.

Note that the SAW tweeter/waveguide, and hence the B&O speakers, are
extremely dependent on room acoustics to work well. If your side walls
are not perfectly equidistant from the speakers, no soundy goody. If
the materials in your room are *too* absorbant, no soundy goody.

Of course, that's all also true of conventional speakers, so I don't
know what my point is...
Stewart Pinkerton

On 10 Mar 2005 00:34:03 GMT, "Buster Mudd"
wrote:

michael wrote:
I was wondering if any of you have heard this new speaker based upon

the
SAW acoustic lens technology?

I have not heard the B&O's, but FWIW a colleague of mine, a
professional audio engineer who's opinion I respect, heard the original
Sausalito Audio Works prototypes and was so impressed as to be rendered
practically speechless.

I heard the Lab 5s recently in Birmingham (England, not Alabama!), and
I was seriously impressed. They're not what you'd call cheap at ten
grand, but considering you have a whole hi-fi system in there that you
can feed from a CD player, they're very good value, as they are
*definitely* high-end speakers, a real breakthrough for B&O.