Posted to rec.audio.pro
peter peter is offline

Default safe frequency range for wireless mic?

I'm thinking of buying a sennheiser g2 evolution wireless mic, block C
because right now there are no TV broadcast in this range in my area
(seattle) according to sennheiser, last updated on 11/9/2005.

However, the FCC is auctioning off the 700Mhz range. What's the worst that
could happen to this frequency range, and in the worst case scenerio, would
the wireless mic become totally useless?

The alternative is to buy block B or C which has some TV stations in it. I'm
not sure which is the better choice. Is everyone holding off purchase of
wireless system, or is there a clear choice?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 16:51:37 GMT, "peter" wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a sennheiser g2 evolution wireless mic, block C
because right now there are no TV broadcast in this range in my area
(seattle) according to sennheiser, last updated on 11/9/2005.

However, the FCC is auctioning off the 700Mhz range. What's the worst that
could happen to this frequency range, and in the worst case scenerio, would
the wireless mic become totally useless?

The alternative is to buy block B or C which has some TV stations in it. I'm
not sure which is the better choice. Is everyone holding off purchase of
wireless system, or is there a clear choice?

There is a new frequency allocation for digital wireless mics in the
1790-1998MHz range. It is going through the International agreement
phase right now. If you aren't in too much of a hurry, hang on.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"peter" wrote ...
I'm thinking of buying a sennheiser g2 evolution wireless mic, block C
because right now there are no TV broadcast in this range in my area
(seattle) according to sennheiser, last updated on 11/9/2005.

However, the FCC is auctioning off the 700Mhz range. What's the worst that
could happen to this frequency range, and in the worst case scenerio,
would the wireless mic become totally useless?

The alternative is to buy block B or C which has some TV stations in it.
I'm not sure which is the better choice. Is everyone holding off purchase
of wireless system, or is there a clear choice?

This is a frequent topic of conversation over on the movie/video
production newsgroup: news:rec.arts.movies.production.sound

Some of the high-end wireless equipment manufacturers
(Zaxcom, Lectrosonics, et.al.) are moving into the digital
arena, and the loss of the traditional analog bands are one
major reason. Not clear, however, what that means for
those of us who can't justify using $4000 wireless mics.

OTOH, the proliferation of cell phones may kill off the use
of budget-priced wireless mics before the loss of spectum
does. :-(

Posted to rec.audio.pro
peter peter is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

This is a frequent topic of conversation over on the movie/video
production newsgroup: news:rec.arts.movies.production.sound

I purposely avoid that group because I'm a low budget user and movie
productions tend to be high budget.

Some of the high-end wireless equipment manufacturers
(Zaxcom, Lectrosonics, et.al.) are moving into the digital
arena, and the loss of the traditional analog bands are one
major reason. Not clear, however, what that means for
those of us who can't justify using $4000 wireless mics.

OTOH, the proliferation of cell phones may kill off the use
of budget-priced wireless mics before the loss of spectum
does. :-(

In the USA, gsm and cdma cell phones uses 800 to 900 Mhz (and 1900Mhz which
no wireless mic uses), so in theory this should not affect wireless mic
outside that band, right?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"peter" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote ...
This is a frequent topic of conversation over on the movie/video
production newsgroup: news:rec.arts.movies.production.sound

I purposely avoid that group because I'm a low budget user and movie
productions tend to be high budget.

I am also a low-budget user (by their standards), but find it
one of the most useful newsgroups I read regularly. There
are plenty of low-budget questions and answers there all
the time.

Some of the high-end wireless equipment manufacturers
(Zaxcom, Lectrosonics, et.al.) are moving into the digital
arena, and the loss of the traditional analog bands are one
major reason. Not clear, however, what that means for
those of us who can't justify using $4000 wireless mics.

OTOH, the proliferation of cell phones may kill off the use
of budget-priced wireless mics before the loss of spectum
does. :-(

In the USA, gsm and cdma cell phones uses 800 to 900 Mhz (and 1900Mhz
which no wireless mic uses), so in theory this should not affect wireless
mic outside that band, right?

In theory. Alas, not in practice.

If you DID hang around r.a.m.p.s you would discover that
cell phones are a perennial (and rapidly-growing) problem
both in fixed-use venues, and in field production. GSM
phones, in particular, put out distinctive bursts of high-power
digital data which is very similar to cold-war broadband
jamming.

My favorite solution mentioned so far was the producer who
confiscated offending cell phones and nailed them to the
doorpost. :-) You can do that with employees/contractors
who are supposed to be following the rules as a condition
of their employment. However, you can't do that with the
general public (i.e. audience at a public event, etc.) I've
had to cut back on use of wireless mics (going back to
wired in some cases) because of unmanageable cell-phone
RF interference.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
"peter" wrote ...
My favorite solution mentioned so far was the producer who
confiscated offending cell phones and nailed them to the
doorpost. :-) You can do that with employees/contractors
who are supposed to be following the rules as a condition
of their employment. However, you can't do that with the
general public

I think it would contravene safe workplace practices even to nail employees
or contractor to the door, let alone the general public....

geoff1

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

On Jan 7, 12:41*pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"peter" wrote ...

I'm thinking of buying a sennheiser g2 evolution wireless mic, block C
because right now there are no TV broadcast in this range in my area
(seattle) according to sennheiser, last updated on 11/9/2005.

However, the FCC is auctioning off the 700Mhz range. What's the worst that
could happen to this frequency range, and in the worst case scenerio,
would the wireless mic become totally useless?

The alternative is to buy block B or C which has some TV stations in it.
I'm not sure which is the better choice. Is everyone holding off purchase
of wireless system, or is there a clear choice?

Depends on your time frame. Short term the 700 MHz band is clear and
would be better for you.

Long term (5 years) the 700 MHz band will occupied with cell
phones, [public service radios... or whatever. The TV bands (700
MHz) will be occupied with digital TV and maybe white space devices.
I would select the devil I know rather then the devil I don't know.

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] rsmith@bsstudios.com is offline

On Jan 7, 1:15*pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:

My favorite solution mentioned so far was the producer who
confiscated offending cell phones and nailed them to the
doorpost. *:-) *

Hear hear!! Now there is a video short I'd like to see!! :-)

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"geoff" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
"peter" wrote ...
My favorite solution mentioned so far was the producer who
confiscated offending cell phones and nailed them to the
doorpost. :-) You can do that with employees/contractors
who are supposed to be following the rules as a condition
of their employment. However, you can't do that with the
general public

I think it would contravene safe workplace practices even to nail
employees or contractor to the door, let alone the general public....

It was the phones that were nailed to the doorpost, not the users.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 13:15:33 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

My favorite solution mentioned so far was the producer who
confiscated offending cell phones and nailed them to the
doorpost. :-)

Vlad! How the heck is he doing? It's been ages...

Much thanks, as always,

Chris Hornbeck

"There's little that's impossible, but it becomes more complicated if
you move between different systems." - Mike Rivers, in another context

Posted to rec.audio.pro
peter peter is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

There is a new frequency allocation for digital wireless mics in the
1790-1998MHz range. It is going through the International agreement
phase right now. If you aren't in too much of a hurry, hang on.

Doesn't that collide with GSM cellphone 1900Mhz band in the US?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 01:09:20 GMT, "peter" wrote:

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

There is a new frequency allocation for digital wireless mics in the
1790-1998MHz range. It is going through the International agreement
phase right now. If you aren't in too much of a hurry, hang on.

Doesn't that collide with GSM cellphone 1900Mhz band in the US?

Sorry, I meant 1790 to 1798MHz.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
peter peter is offline

"peter" wrote in message
I'm thinking of buying a sennheiser g2 evolution wireless mic, block C
because right now there are no TV broadcast in this range in my area
(seattle) according to sennheiser, last updated on 11/9/2005.

Sennheiser just updated their database. Now it says the 700Mhz block may
become unavailable in near future.

Does that mean if I own a wireless system in the 700Mhz block, it would
become illegal to use if FCC decided to remove that block from wireless mic
usage?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:50:59 GMT, "peter" wrote:

"peter" wrote in message
I'm thinking of buying a sennheiser g2 evolution wireless mic, block C
because right now there are no TV broadcast in this range in my area
(seattle) according to sennheiser, last updated on 11/9/2005.

Sennheiser just updated their database. Now it says the 700Mhz block may
become unavailable in near future.

Does that mean if I own a wireless system in the 700Mhz block, it would
become illegal to use if FCC decided to remove that block from wireless mic
usage?

Yes.

I seriously would be hiring rather than buying wireless mics right
now. In most of the civilized world the UHF bands are in a state of
transition from analogue to digital TV. This is freeing up some
spectrum, and the regulators are keen to maximise their revenues. So
all the old legacy systems are getting thrown off their existing
assignments. This includes wireless mics, which in their analogue form
are unbelievably wasteful of spectrum. The new generation of digital
wireless mics goes a long way towards improving that, but the final
frequency home is still far from certain.

The one thing that is certain is that the current UHF channels are too
valuable a piece of real estate to hand over to a bunch of ad hoc
users who don't want to be licensed or pay any license fees.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

"peter" wrote in message
I'm thinking of buying a sennheiser g2 evolution wireless mic, block C
because right now there are no TV broadcast in this range in my area
(seattle) according to sennheiser, last updated on 11/9/2005.

Sennheiser just updated their database. Now it says the 700Mhz block may
become unavailable in near future.

Yes.

Does that mean if I own a wireless system in the 700Mhz block, it would
become illegal to use if FCC decided to remove that block from wireless mic
usage?

It already IS illegal unless you have filled out a license request for use
of a broadcast channel as a broadcast auxiliary service, and had it approved.

The thing is, nobody ever does the proper licensing for wireless mikes, so
when the FCC started looking at what to do with soon-to-be-unused television
spectrum, they did not take wireless users into account.

If you do not get a license, you have no right to complain about the spectrum
going away.

Soon the FCC will be auctioning that block off to the highest bidder, for
whatever folks want it for. Because of the way the current auctions work,
your ability to purchase a small sliver of spectrum is almost nonexistent.

Your ability to continue using wireless mikes in an illegal and unlicensed
fashion may continue unimpeded, or it may be totally disrupted, depending
on who winds up with the spectrum at auction and what they decide to use
it for.

Frequency range of the voice Julien Bernier Pro Audio 37 September 28th 06 11:10 PM
select frequency range Bob Pit Pro Audio 2 May 10th 05 03:16 AM
select frequency range Bob Pit General 2 May 7th 05 10:50 PM
Monitor Frequency Range Peter Larsen Pro Audio 24 May 28th 04 02:19 AM
Monitor Frequency Range Peter Larsen Pro Audio 0 May 25th 04 08:20 AM