Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Grant David Grant is offline

Default Solutions for DAW video monitor @ 3' viewing distance

I'm presently preparing the room layout for my control room in Autocad, and
I've encountered the issue of having to move my LCD monitor back a fair
distance to avoid obstructing my reference monitors (this is a small room).
Although young and visually-uncorrected I anticipate my 19" LCD won't be up
to the task.

I see two possible solutions he

1a) Purchase a large display (24" or more), run it at native resolution, but
increase font size, icon size, everything size.

1b) Purchase a large display (24" or more) but run it at a lower than native
resolution

2) Find some sort of mounting solution to keep my 19" LCD closer but slanted
upwards at 30-45 degrees. I have a 1.5' deep control surface right in front
of me so it would have to go directly behind that.

Problem for 1a) is that, while I haven't yet explored the options in XP,
Cubase, and various others for making these visual alterations, I don't
expect software will be adequately customizable. I fear some visual objects
may be enlargeable, but not all. Can anyone comment?

Problem for 1b) is that most LCD displays I've used look awful at
lower-than-native resolutions. I assume this is an issue with the built in
scaler: Are there inexpensive external scalers that deal with this better?
Are there plasma/LCD TVs that handle computer RGBHV signals decently well,
that would look appreciably better at higher resolutions?

Problem for 2) is that I have no experience working for long hours looking
downwards at such an angle. I don't know how ergonomic it would be. Perhaps
someone can enlighten me?

What is(are) the commonly used solution(s) here? I'm sure I'm not the first
to encounter this.

Thanks,

David

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Boris Lau Boris Lau is offline

David Grant wrote:
I'm presently preparing the room layout for my control room in Autocad, and
I've encountered the issue of having to move my LCD monitor back a fair
distance to avoid obstructing my reference monitors (this is a small room).
Although young and visually-uncorrected I anticipate my 19" LCD won't be up
to the task.

I always prefer to have displays with high resolutions. If things are
too small on the screen, increase the font size. Good programs adapt to
that, or prefer their own means to do that.

Boris
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Boris Lau wrote:

David Grant wrote:

I'm presently preparing the room layout for my control room in
Autocad, and I've encountered the issue of having to move my LCD
monitor back a fair distance to avoid obstructing my reference
monitors (this is a small room). Although young and
visually-uncorrected I anticipate my 19" LCD won't be up to the task.

I always prefer to have displays with high resolutions. If things are
too small on the screen, increase the font size. Good programs adapt
to that, or prefer their own means to do that.

Perhaps a vertical rather than horisontal monitor setup would help? - if
such monitors are still available that is, I count myself lucky to find a
Samsung 22" 4:3 that can be rotated to 3:4 on its stand. The only issue is
that the backlight incidence angle is optimized for it being horisonal and
then lit from ""below"".

Boris

Kind regards

Peter Larsen