Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Thomas Withers Thomas Withers is offline

Default driver board

Thanks all
Ive had a Dynaco amp for around 25yrs.Ive replaced all componets and matched
them with 1percent resitsers and much larger coupling caps! Also done the
frequencey limiting mods to,,lots lower distortion and replaced the 7199s
with 6GH8s..
I think ive got new old stock tubes from Groove tubes,very old
ones,tesla,mullards,silvania,Amperx..Got gold top EL34 from russia.but the
best of all or to my likings is the Groove tubes,and Amperex with the metal
ring on the bottom of the tube,very tall and got a blue tint to them..
So Ive been into electonics for many years and would like to hear more of
what you guys think of the 3tube driver board..
thanks
your friend
thomas

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Jun 5, 9:49 am, "Thomas Withers" wrote:
Thanks all
Ive had a Dynaco amp for around 25yrs.Ive replaced all componets and matched
them with 1percent resitsers and much larger coupling caps! Also done the
frequencey limiting mods to,,lots lower distortion and replaced the 7199s
with 6GH8s..
I think ive got new old stock tubes from Groove tubes,very old
ones,tesla,mullards,silvania,Amperx..Got gold top EL34 from russia.but the
best of all or to my likings is the Groove tubes,and Amperex with the metal
ring on the bottom of the tube,very tall and got a blue tint to them..
So Ive been into electonics for many years and would like to hear more of
what you guys think of the 3tube driver board..
thanks
your friend
thomas

Forgive if this double-posts, please.

Well, a couple of things. On the Groove Tube bit, I am historically
suspicious of their representations, and unless I observe the results
of their claims directly, I take the tubes they supply as being no
more and no better than any other similar tube from any random source.
I am also quite lucky to have a considerable stock of vintage NOS
tubes such that I have not yet had to resort to Russian (or much
worse, Chinese) alternatives.

The three-tube driver board has its advocates. It is quite audibly
different (and in my *opinion* tighter) than the OEM board even when
nicely cleaned up. Is it better? That becomes a personal-taste issue.
It certainly brings the sound closer to that of a clean and slightly
more powerful SS amp but with the advantages of softer clipping. The
ST-70 is notoriously "fat" sounding with quite a bit of tubbiness at
the low end. There are those that love it for that reason alone. It is
also a very accessible amp, and somehow seems to catch the ear very
nicely. So, I find making it sound like something else a very
worthwhile endeavor for experimental purposes, and one might even
greatly enjoy the results. But I would only do that to my "second"
unit just because of the unique sound of the OEM.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

McIntosh Driver Board Transistor Replacement [email protected] Tech 8 March 9th 11 10:12 PM
dynaco driver board Thomas Withers Vacuum Tubes 4 June 6th 07 04:11 PM
driver board Thomas Withers Pro Audio 0 June 5th 07 02:50 PM
FS: Phaze Audio Line Driver model LD-2 Butler Tube driver on Ebay [email protected] Car Audio 0 November 21st 05 11:07 PM
FS: Dynaco ST70 dual monoblocked w/Sutherland Driver board and individualbias adj. Kintaro_Audio Marketplace 0 February 26th 04 07:53 PM