Engineer

Default When did home theater take over?

"Bob-Stanton" wrote in message
om...
(chexxon) wrote in message

. com...
(Bob-Stanton) wrote in message
. com...

I added three channels to my old sterio system. The right and

left of
the sterio are now the right and left channels of the 5 channel

movie
system.

Is it possible to do this with a 2-channel receiver, or would I

have
to buy a new 5.1-channel receiver? I actually may already have

the
".1" channel BTW, since my receiver has a level control for
subwoofers.

* Chexxon

I bougth a DVD player that had 5.1 channels output.(Toshiba) When
watching a movie, the right and left channels are switched to the

old
sterio preamp high level inputs. The center channel from the DVD
player is switched to the external audio input of the TV set. The TV
speakers make a very good (voice) center channel.

Someone had given me a set of powered, small speakers, from a
computer. At first I had no use for them and they stayed under my

bed
for a year. Latter I pulled them out, and connected them as the rear
two channels. What surprised me was how good the (cheap) rear

speakers
sound when the front channels are playing.

I had two old KLH woofers and an old Radio Shack SA-150 amplifier. I
connected them as the subwoofer. DVD 0.5 channel.

I needed to buy a four-way audio-video switch from the Shack and had
to build a two-way audio switch for the center channel. (TV set

input)

Seting levels is a problem. I balanced the five channels and put
pencel marks on the face of the volume controls. To change the

levels,
I put the controls to the right pencel marks.

Bob Stanton

Good for you, Bob. I read the thread to the point where the cars came
in - and stopped there!

My HT system just grew, too. It started with an older RCA stereo TV
and a stereo receiver plus two speakers. Then I added a Heathkit
surround processor and another stereo receiver and rear speakers (all
used or repaired junked units) with various mixed speakers to hand
(some vintage - Jordan-Watts and Ditton 15's.) About that time I had
added a sub - two actually, Energy E-SUB2's driven by another spare
receiver. Then we upgraded the TV (a Toshiba) and I added a used
Yamaha RXV1070 5.1 Prologic system and new PSB Image 2B mains (kept
the Dittons for rears - I'd sold the Jordon-Watts a while back and
replaced them with a pair of bookshelf units.) By then I was playing
with a centre speaker and learned the importance of sonic matching
the mains - had to retire both a cheap centre "clunker" and a used
Wharfdale and put in a new PSB 9C centre (excellent.) Lastly I
upgraded the sub amplifier (2 channels) to a used Yamaha M4 (over 120
wpc into 6 ohms) with custom crossover and preamp (home brewed.)

At each step of the way all of the above were phased and leveled, of
course (using the well known RS analog SPL meter.)

That's it to this day. Contemplating a new Yamaha digital receiver in
due course but no hurry - might wait for a used one to turn up!

BTW, the old RCA TV is now in the family room with its own stereo
receiver and two outboard speakers - all recycled, of course!

Recycle, repair and reuse!

Cheers,

Roger
--
Roger Jones, P.Eng.
Thornhill, Ontario,

Anti-spam... Reply to: SurfNews"at"sprint"dot"ca (but written
correctly)

Bob-Stanton

"Engineer" wrote in message news:vZrIb.309

BTW, the old RCA TV is now in the family room with its own stereo
receiver and two outboard speakers - all recycled, of course!

Recycle, repair and reuse!

Yes, I enjoy building speakers systems and amplifiers from older
equipment and parts.

A few years ago Radio Shack had a good 4" woofer (1022). When they
discontinued it, I bought as many as I could find, (at closeout
prices). At one point I decided to hide my 5.1 speakers. Built two
columns speakers (of five 4" woofers each) into the stand that the TV
sits on. For a while, I had a 5.1 way system with no visible speaker
boxes. The problems was, the right and left speakers were too close
together and the system didn't sound as good as with the old larger
speakers. Went back to the larger, but better sounding, right and left
speakers.

Latter, I learned that many movies have a lot of sound coming from the
center channel. The center channel needed something better than the TV
set's small speakers. I had these two columns (of five woofers + a
tweeter) sitting hidden in the TV stand, and doing nothing. I realized
I could drive them with the TV set's amplifiers (10 Watts/channel) and
make them the center channel. (The TV's amplifiers did a surprisingly
good sounding job of driving the columns.)

It seems a little strange, but now my center channel now has *twelve
drivers*. Oh yes, it also sounds good.

Bob Stanton
Glenn Booth

Hi,

In message , Stewart Pinkerton
writes

Ah yes, but a TVR will do 300 kph........................

Sideways, if you aren't careful.

Those things can get seriously unruly if they aren't respected, which is
exactly why they are so much fun! One of the few remaining bastions of
the 'British Sports Car' tradition, much of which won't be missed (by
me!).

--
Regards,
Glenn Booth
R. D. Davis

In article bcHFb.617861$HS4.4520078@attbi_s01,
notbob writes:
the inferior Chinese and East European tubes. But, they've put
absolutely insane prices on them. $5-20K is typical. Screw that!
I'll continue to use my circa '64 Fisher/JBL system as long as I can.

Of course, one can always roll one's own power amp, loudspeaker system,
etc. Available parts exist (although transformers are somewhat expensive,
but if you don't want the typical off the shelf Hammond transformers,
there are companies that will custom wind them in single quantities),
and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than what new tube amps cost.

--
Copyright (C) 2003 R. D. Davis The difference between humans & other animals:
All Rights Reserved an unnatural belief that we're above Nature &
R. D. Davis

In article ,
(Zakhann) writes:

When did the automobile take over from the horse and cart?

Perhaps it did for the majority, but that means of transportation
didn't become obsolete. There are still people who use a horse and
buggy. Actually, that would be more fun for slowing down traffic than
driving a tractor down the road transporting a round bale of hay. Not
sure what sort of licence tags would be needed for the cart, but with
just the horse, alone, no drivers licence is needed, there's no
vehicle registration to bother with, no ID cards from Big Brother are
required, no safety regulations to bother with, etc. It's actually
quite convenient for short distances if you don't need to carry much
with you.. a few risks are involved. but that's life. No radio, so
you'll enjoy your hi-fi all the more when you get home. :-) :-) :-)

So... while most consumers claiming to be knowledgeable of audio (who
don't know a FET from a pentode, spectrum analyzer or an XLR
connector, and are often content with muddy sounding "subwoofers")
appear to be interested in the home theater mumbo jumbo, that doesn't
mean that hi-fi, as many of us know it, is obsolete. :-) After all,
remember that the average consumer believes that CDs sound better than
vinyl LPs... which we know isn't true, if the vinyl is not scratched
up, dirty, etc. and an adequate turntable is used... which is really a
good thing, since it's now easy to haul a carload of LPs home for only
a few bucks.

--
Copyright (C) 2003 R. D. Davis The difference between humans & other animals:
All Rights Reserved an unnatural belief that we're above Nature &
410-744-4900 her other creatures, using dogma to justify such
http://www.rddavis.org beliefs and to justify much human cruelty.

Arny Krueger

"R. D. Davis" wrote in message

So... while most consumers claiming to be knowledgeable of audio (who
don't know a FET from a pentode, spectrum analyzer or an XLR
connector, and are often content with muddy sounding "subwoofers")
appear to be interested in the home theater mumbo jumbo, that doesn't
mean that hi-fi, as many of us know it, is obsolete. :-)

The biases of the writer are obvious in several areas. Since Pentodes are
part of a totally obsolete technology, why should modern consumers know
anything at all about them?

Then there is this mention of "...the home theater mumbo jumbo..." which
clearly suggests that in the author's mind, any coupling of audio with video
is snake oil.

After all,
remember that the average consumer believes that CDs sound better than
vinyl LPs... which we know isn't true, if the vinyl is not scratched
up, dirty, etc. and an adequate turntable is used... which is really a
good thing, since it's now easy to haul a carload of LPs home for only
a few bucks.

We've got yet another old-timers whose ears are apparently so shot he can't
hear the tics and pops that bedevil most music lovers. Should we have a
lottery about his age? Anybody for over 65?

dave weil

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 07:33:24 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

So... while most consumers claiming to be knowledgeable of audio (who
don't know a FET from a pentode, spectrum analyzer or an XLR
connector, and are often content with muddy sounding "subwoofers")
appear to be interested in the home theater mumbo jumbo, that doesn't
mean that hi-fi, as many of us know it, is obsolete. :-)

The biases of the writer are obvious in several areas. Since Pentodes are
part of a totally obsolete technology, why should modern consumers know
anything at all about them?

The bias of this writer is quite clear.
Arny Krueger

wrote:

So... while most consumers claiming to be knowledgeable of audio
(who don't know a FET from a pentode, spectrum analyzer or an XLR
connector, and are often content with muddy sounding "subwoofers")
appear to be interested in the home theater mumbo jumbo, that
doesn't mean that hi-fi, as many of us know it, is obsolete. :-)

The biases of the writer are obvious in several areas. Since
Pentodes are part of a totally obsolete technology, why should
modern consumers know anything at all about them?

The bias of this writer is quite clear.

Just a generally-recognized fact.

BTW Weil, how many pentodes are in your computer, TV set, VCR, or CD player?

dave weil

wrote:

So... while most consumers claiming to be knowledgeable of audio
(who don't know a FET from a pentode, spectrum analyzer or an XLR
connector, and are often content with muddy sounding "subwoofers")
appear to be interested in the home theater mumbo jumbo, that
doesn't mean that hi-fi, as many of us know it, is obsolete. :-)

The biases of the writer are obvious in several areas. Since
Pentodes are part of a totally obsolete technology, why should
modern consumers know anything at all about them?

The bias of this writer is quite clear.

Just a generally-recognized fact.

I totally agree. Thank you for confirming the generally-recognized
reality of your biases. I appreciate it.

BTW Weil, how many pentodes are in your computer, TV set, VCR, or CD player?

Might as well ask how many jackhammers are in your soldering iron.
Arny Krueger

wrote:

So... while most consumers claiming to be knowledgeable of audio
(who don't know a FET from a pentode, spectrum analyzer or an XLR
connector, and are often content with muddy sounding "subwoofers")
appear to be interested in the home theater mumbo jumbo, that
doesn't mean that hi-fi, as many of us know it, is obsolete. :-)

The biases of the writer are obvious in several areas. Since
Pentodes are part of a totally obsolete technology, why should
modern consumers know anything at all about them?

The bias of this writer is quite clear.

Just a generally-recognized fact.

I totally agree.

Good Weil, it's about time that you admit that you recognize that Pentodes
are part of a totally-obsolete technology.

Thank you for confirming the generally-recognized reality of your biases.

Are you suggesting that you have no biases or that they are under perfect
control, Weil?

I appreciate it.

More significantly, do you appreciate that you also have biases, Weil?

BTW Weil, how many pentodes are in your computer, TV set, VCR, or CD
player?

Might as well ask how many jackhammers are in your soldering iron.

Please explain.

S888Wheel

Double Bull****.

Even in it's ideal state vinyl is deficient in every measure to
CD except nostalgia.

Some of us prefer to listen to them rather than measure them. That is where the
advantages of LPs show themselves.
normanstrong

"R. D. Davis" wrote in message
(Zakhann) writes:

[...]

When you're trying to make a point, it's not a good idea to introduce
"fer instances" that end up becoming the main bone of contention.
Your argument stood on its own without introducing the LP v. CD
argument--which will now probably swamp the home theater discussion.
I can only assume that was your purpose.

Norm Strong

R. D. Davis

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" writes:
"R. D. Davis" wrote in message

So... while most consumers claiming to be knowledgeable of audio (who
don't know a FET from a pentode, spectrum analyzer or an XLR
connector, and are often content with muddy sounding "subwoofers")
appear to be interested in the home theater mumbo jumbo, that doesn't
mean that hi-fi, as many of us know it, is obsolete. :-)

The biases of the writer are obvious in several areas. Since Pentodes are
part of a totally obsolete technology, why should modern consumers know
anything at all about them?

Oh, a wise-guy whose biases are obvious we well. Let's see how he
answers this: how can a technology be obsolete when there are still
people desiging circuitry using it? Some people are paying large sums
of money for products containing tubes/valves. Pentodes are still
being manufactured. Let's say that a consumer planning on purchasing
a tube amp has narrowed his selection down to two power amps: one
designed to use pentodes in the output stage that are rare, but still,
barely available---the other designed to use a type of pentode that's
still being manufactured; both amps have similar specs. Now then, a
consumer knowing nothing about tubes may be suckered into purchasing
the wrong amp and have great difficulty finding replacement tubes when
the original tubes have fizzled out.

Just because the above-quoted writer doesn't like something doesn't
mean that it's obsolete. Hey, using his way of thinking, perhaps many
would say that he's obsolete. :-)

Then there is this mention of "...the home theater mumbo jumbo..." which
clearly suggests that in the author's mind, any coupling of audio with video
is snake oil.

Methinks you've misinterpreted something. I wasn't saying that all
home theater equipment is as valuable as hogwash, but some of it is,
and, the average consumer, who doesn't know the difference, who knows
zip about electronics, is likely to get conned by some random
sales-droid when purchasing a home theater system. While some very
nice home theater systems, with excellent sound systems, do exist,
surely you can't deny that there also many systems with putrid sound
quality sold to consumers who think that muddy bass, from
"subwoofers", with a low-end response of -3dB at 50Hz (then drops off
sharply below that), at room-shaking decibel levels, that they can
feel, is good, deep, bass.

After all,
remember that the average consumer believes that CDs sound better than
vinyl LPs... which we know isn't true, if the vinyl is not scratched
up, dirty, etc. and an adequate turntable is used... which is really a
good thing, since it's now easy to haul a carload of LPs home for only
a few bucks.

We've got yet another old-timers whose ears are apparently so shot he can't
hear the tics and pops that bedevil most music lovers.

Hmmm... apparently the writer of that statement never heard about
cleaning dust off of records, using cleaners that prevent the build-up
of static electricity on them, and is unware of resons as to why one
handle them carefully and not tape a stack of nickels on the tonearm
above the cartridge when listening to all of his records. Also, does
that writer have ears so damaged from listening to post 1990's MTV
noise, pretending to be music, in his home theater, that he doesn't
realize how bad CDs sound in comparison to vinyl LPs? :-) :-) :-)

Should we have a lottery about his age? Anybody for over 65?

Hopefully you've placed a very large bet on what my age is.

--
Copyright (C) 2003 R. D. Davis The difference between humans & other animals:
All Rights Reserved an unnatural belief that we're above Nature &
410-744-4900 her other creatures, using dogma to justify such
http://www.rddavis.org beliefs and to justify much human cruelty.
dave weil

wrote:

So... while most consumers claiming to be knowledgeable of audio
(who don't know a FET from a pentode, spectrum analyzer or an XLR
connector, and are often content with muddy sounding "subwoofers")
appear to be interested in the home theater mumbo jumbo, that
doesn't mean that hi-fi, as many of us know it, is obsolete. :-)

The biases of the writer are obvious in several areas. Since
Pentodes are part of a totally obsolete technology, why should
modern consumers know anything at all about them?

The bias of this writer is quite clear.

Just a generally-recognized fact.

I totally agree.

Good Weil, it's about time that you admit that you recognize that Pentodes
are part of a totally-obsolete technology.

Nope. I'm agreeing with your agreement that your biases are a
generally recognized fact.

Thank you for confirming the generally-recognized reality of your biases.

Are you suggesting that you have no biases or that they are under perfect
control, Weil?

Nope. How do you read that?

I appreciate it.

More significantly, do you appreciate that you also have biases, Weil?

Of course I do. Apparently you don't appreciate *your* biases though.

BTW Weil, how many pentodes are in your computer, TV set, VCR, or CD
player?

Might as well ask how many jackhammers are in your soldering iron.

Please explain.

No. Figure it out for yourself, Braniac. I'm not your mommy.
Arny Krueger

"S888Wheel" wrote in message

"Rusty Boudreaux" wrote in message

Double Bull****.

Even in it's ideal state vinyl is deficient in every measure to
CD except nostalgia.

Some of us prefer to listen to them rather than measure them.

Just goes to show that sockpuppet can't make sense of a common figure of
speech.

That is where the advantages of LPs show themselves.

What advantages? The tics, the pops, the rumble, the gross levels of FM & AM
distortion as shown by figure 1 at
http://www.stereophile.com/analogsou...nn/index4.html ?

Bruce J. Richman

R. D. Davis wrote:

In article ,
(Stewart Pinkerton) writes:
On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 02:38:36 -0000,
(R. D.
Davis) wrote:

After all,
remember that the average consumer believes that CDs sound better than
vinyl LPs... which we know isn't true, if the vinyl is not scratched
up, dirty, etc. and an adequate turntable is used.

Bull****.

Happy New Year!

Does the writer of that have a habit of muttering inappropriate and
obscene words and phrases at random as it appears? If so, there's a
name for that problem in the DSM, for which help should be sought,
although it's most likely unrelated to his possible hearing
problem. ;-)

Happy New Year!

--
Copyright (C) 2003 R. D. Davis The difference between humans & other animals:

All Rights Reserved an unnatural belief that we're above Nature &
410-744-4900 her other creatures, using dogma to justify
such
http://www.rddavis.org beliefs and to justify much human cruelty.

Just for the sake of those not familiar with psychological/psychiatric
terminology, I presume you're referring to the Diagnostic & Statistical Manual
(DSM) published by the American Psychiatric Association. And the condition to
which you are referring is Tourette's Syndrome.

Actually, Tourette's Syndrome is more of a neurological disorder than a
psychological one, although it is often treated with psychotropic drugs such as
Haldol and Risperdol. And while involuntary swearing is one of the most
noticeable symptoms of people suffering from this condition, it is only one of
many involuntary motor symptoms, and not the most common.

Bruce J. Richman

S888Wheel

Rusty said

Double Bull****.

Even in it's ideal state vinyl is deficient in every measure to
CD except nostalgia.

I said

Some of us prefer to listen to them rather than measure them.

Arny said

Just goes to show that sockpuppet can't make sense of a common figure of
speech.

The joke goes over Arny's head again. Looks like he does have a few things in
common with Nousaine.

I said

That is where the advantages of LPs show themselves.

Arny said

What advantages? The tics, the pops, the rumble, the gross levels of FM & AM
distortion as shown by figure 1 at
http://www.stereophile.com/analogsou...nn/index4.html ?

No dip****. Those aren't advantages. I'm talking about the advantages that
music lovers would appreciate. You wouldn't understand those advantages. Don't
you have a soon to be obsolete sound card to measure?
R. D. Davis

In article ,
"Rusty Boudreaux" writes:

Even in it's ideal state vinyl is deficient in every measure to
CD except nostalgia.

Excessive wax buildup in your ears can cause you to think that.

--
Copyright (C) 2003 R. D. Davis The difference between humans & other animals:
All Rights Reserved an unnatural belief that we're above Nature &
410-744-4900 her other creatures, using dogma to justify such
http://www.rddavis.org beliefs and to justify much human cruelty.
Arny Krueger

"S888Wheel" wrote in message

Rusty said

Double Bull****.

Even in it's ideal state vinyl is deficient in every measure to
CD except nostalgia.

I said

Some of us prefer to listen to them rather than measure them.

Arny said

Just goes to show that sockpuppet can't make sense of a common
figure of speech.

The joke goes over Arny's head again.

Your well-known ignorance and arrogance aren't a joke, sockpuppet.

Looks like he does have a few things in common with Nousaine.

Honesty, rational thought and preference for quality reproduction of music
being several things we have in common.

That is where the advantages of LPs show themselves.

What advantages? The tics, the pops, the rumble, the gross levels of
FM & AM distortion as shown by figure 1 at
http://www.stereophile.com/analogsou...nn/index4.html ?

No dip****.

Gee, having trouble with that Tourett's again, sockpuppet?

Those aren't advantages.

The joke went over your head again, sockpuppet?

I'm talking about the advantages that music lovers would appreciate.

The first things most music lovers notice about vinyl are the The tics, the
pops, the rumble, and the gross levels of
FM & AM distortion. The audible FM & AM distortions are almost like veils
that are thrown over the music to conceal it's inner beauty.

You wouldn't understand those advantages.

Reading minds again, sockpuppet?

Don't you have a soon to be obsolete sound card to measure?

Soon to be obsolete (a lie, but I'll go long with your weirdness,
sockpuppet) obviously trumps obsolete for a long time, like much of your
playback system with all those aged generators of gratuitous noise and
distortion.

You've loaded up on both thermionic and mechanical noise and distortion
generators, sockpuppet. I'll bet that in your state of delirium, you're
quite proud of yourself!

Arny Krueger

wrote:

So... while most consumers claiming to be knowledgeable of audio
(who don't know a FET from a pentode, spectrum analyzer or an
XLR connector, and are often content with muddy sounding
"subwoofers") appear to be interested in the home theater mumbo
jumbo, that doesn't mean that hi-fi, as many of us know it, is
obsolete. :-)

The biases of the writer are obvious in several areas. Since
Pentodes are part of a totally obsolete technology, why should
modern consumers know anything at all about them?

The bias of this writer is quite clear.

Just a generally-recognized fact.

I totally agree.

Good Weil, it's about time that you admit that you recognize that
Pentodes are part of a totally-obsolete technology.

Nope.

If you don't recognize simple facts like these, is there any hope for you,
Weil?

I'm agreeing with your agreement that your biases are a
generally recognized fact.

And of course that's true.

Thank you for confirming the generally-recognized reality of your
biases.

Are you suggesting that you have no biases or that they are under
perfect control, Weil?

Nope. How do you read that?

I don't read it at all, Weil. I smell the dank aroma of your
self-righteousness. It's so strong that it can be smelled in Detroit, even
against a powerful North wind.

I appreciate it.

More significantly, do you appreciate that you also have biases,
Weil?

Of course I do. Apparently you don't appreciate *your* biases though.

I appreciate them very much. That's one reason why I do so much testing that
is systematically bias-controlled.

BTW Weil, how many pentodes are in your computer, TV set, VCR, or
CD player?

Might as well ask how many jackhammers are in your soldering iron.

Please explain.

No. Figure it out for yourself, Braniac. I'm not your mommy.

Weil, nice job of not being accountable for what you've said, coward

George M. Middius

R. D. Davis said:

The biases of the writer are obvious in several areas. Since Pentodes are
part of a totally obsolete technology, why should modern consumers know
anything at all about them?

Just because the above-quoted writer doesn't like something doesn't
mean that it's obsolete. Hey, using his way of thinking, perhaps many
would say that he's obsolete. :-)

Uh-oh. Another "murder threat" against the Krooborg.

Arny Krueger

"R. D. Davis" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" writes:
"R. D. Davis" wrote in message

So... while most consumers claiming to be knowledgeable of audio
(who don't know a FET from a pentode, spectrum analyzer or an XLR
connector, and are often content with muddy sounding "subwoofers")
appear to be interested in the home theater mumbo jumbo, that
doesn't mean that hi-fi, as many of us know it, is obsolete. :-)

The biases of the writer are obvious in several areas. Since
Pentodes are part of a totally obsolete technology, why should
modern consumers know anything at all about them?

Oh, a wise-guy whose biases are obvious we well. Let's see how he
answers this: how can a technology be obsolete when there are still
people designing circuitry using it?

No accounting for what people who have too much time on their hands do.

Some people are paying large sums
of money for products containing tubes/valves.

No accounting for what people who have too much money on their hands do.
Isn't it Robin Williams who said that Cocaine is God's way of telling you
that you have too much money? Same thing applies to tubes and audio
reproduction.

Pentodes are still being manufactured.

So are buggy whips and even replicas of Wright Flyers, I understand. Do you
want to take your next long trip in a Wright Flyer? Ain't gonna be much of
a trip!

Let's say that a consumer planning on purchasing
a tube amp has narrowed his selection down to two power amps: one
designed to use pentodes in the output stage that are rare, but still,
barely available---the other designed to use a type of pentode that's
still being manufactured; both amps have similar specs.

Let's say that someone has been sold a bill of goods by a snake oil
salesman. Think we should tell him about where he's headed?

Now then, a
consumer knowing nothing about tubes may be suckered into purchasing
the wrong amp and have great difficulty finding replacement tubes when
the original tubes have fizzled out.

It's gonna be the wrong amp either way, if the consumer is interested in
high fidelity sound reproduction.

Just because the above-quoted writer doesn't like something doesn't
mean that it's obsolete. Hey, using his way of thinking, perhaps many
would say that he's obsolete. :-)

If tubes were relevant they would still be being used like they were 50
years ago when they were all we had. As soon as viable alternatives
presented themselves, just about everybody but a few Luddites and
sentimentalists, and people who want to exploit them, moved on.

Then there is this mention of "...the home theater mumbo jumbo..."
which clearly suggests that in the author's mind, any coupling of
audio with video is snake oil.

Methinks you've misinterpreted something.

Methinks that you don't want to take responsibility for your posturing.

I wasn't saying that all
home theater equipment is as valuable as hogwash, but some of it is,
and, the average consumer, who doesn't know the difference, who knows
zip about electronics, is likely to get conned by some random
sales-droid when purchasing a home theater system.

If you really meant that the first time, then I'm quite sure that you would
have mentioned sales-droids the first time, not just home theater in
general.

Nahh, you're tying to backtrack on an obviously inflammatory and
overly-general statement.

While some very
nice home theater systems, with excellent sound systems, do exist,
surely you can't deny that there also many systems with putrid sound
quality sold to consumers who think that muddy bass, from
"subwoofers", with a low-end response of -3dB at 50Hz (then drops off
sharply below that), at room-shaking decibel levels, that they can
feel, is good, deep, bass.

People have budgets denominated in both time and money. They tend to get
what they pay for.

After all,
remember that the average consumer believes that CDs sound better
than vinyl LPs... which we know isn't true, if the vinyl is not
scratched up, dirty, etc. and an adequate turntable is used...
which is really a good thing, since it's now easy to haul a carload
of LPs home for only a few bucks.

We've got yet another old-timers whose ears are apparently so shot
he can't hear the tics and pops that bedevil most music lovers.

Hmmm... apparently the writer of that statement never heard about
cleaning dust off of records, using cleaners that prevent the build-up
of static electricity on them, and is unaware of reasons as to why one
handle them carefully and not tape a stack of nickels on the tonearm
above the cartridge when listening to all of his records. Also, does
that writer have ears so damaged from listening to post 1990's MTV
noise, pretending to be music, in his home theater, that he doesn't
realize how bad CDs sound in comparison to vinyl LPs? :-) :-) :-)

Bad, bad joke. Just about everybody who lived through 30+ years of
vinyl-only hell like I did, fought the good fight and learned about all that
crap that you're trying to pile on me.

Even though we already had vinyl, good vinyl players, cleaners and all that
jazz, we spent even more money on digital media and players. Digital sold at
a stiff premium over vinyl, and we still lapped it up and went looking for
more.

OK so now its 20 years later for digital and 30 years later for solid state
and a few noisy Luddites are still beating the tired old drum of tubes and
vinyl. So what? They are obviously incorrigible not to mention just a little
bit deaf.

Should we have a lottery about his age? Anybody for over 65?

Hopefully you've placed a very large bet on what my age is.

OK, maybe not calendar age, but mental age. Senile dementia sometimes shows
up at earlier ages than usual, especially among people who have been abusing
various substances. I suppose you want us to believe that you've never, ever
used illegal substances or abused any of the legal ones. Never ever been
high, right?

Arny Krueger

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote in message

Just for the sake of those not familiar with psychological/psychiatric
terminology, I presume you're referring to the Diagnostic &
Statistical Manual (DSM) published by the American Psychiatric
Association. And the condition to which you are referring is
Tourette's Syndrome.

Actually, Tourette's Syndrome is more of a neurological disorder than
a psychological one, although it is often treated with psychotropic
drugs such as Haldol and Risperdol. And while involuntary swearing
is one of the most noticeable symptoms of people suffering from this
condition, it is only one of many involuntary motor symptoms, and not
the most common.

Notice that Richmain only goes on and on like this, trying to Lord it over
us with his great professional expertise (he's posted his credentials on
Usenet about once every 3 days since he started posting on Usenet), when its
someone he disagrees with that is cussing. There are no known instances of
him doing this with people he agrees with. This is because he's incredibly
biased and motivated by anger and hatred. Of course he lacks the
self-awareness to recognize his own behavior for what it is.

Lionel

S888Wheel a écrit :

Double Bull****.

Even in it's ideal state vinyl is deficient in every measure to
CD except nostalgia.

Some of us prefer to listen to them rather than measure them. That is where the
advantages of LPs show themselves.

Since it is so easy and so cheap to copy numeric data including music
all the "proletarian" pirates can listen to great music, jazz... at
nearly no cost !
The Music is not anymore a protected cultural ghetto for high-society
dauphins...
....So venyl mania is now the ultimate refuge for snobs, parvenus or
pretendant. ;-)
Venyls have all the qualities to be *THE* "De Luxe" product, and by the
way the favorite media of wealthy assholes : "you can hear the same
music than me but mine is still better than your"... ;-)

S888Wheel

I said

The joke goes over Arny's head again.

Arny said

Your well-known ignorance and arrogance aren't a joke, sockpuppet.

Nah, youré just ****ed off because you don't get the jokes. I guess it is
doubly frustrating for you given the fact that you are the butt of them.

I said

Looks like he does have a few things in common with Nousaine.

Arny said

Honesty, rational thought and preference for quality reproduction of music
being several things we have in common.

Just when I thought you weren't humorous....

Arny said

What advantages? The tics, the pops, the rumble, the gross levels of
FM & AM distortion as shown by figure 1 at
http://www.stereophile.com/analogsou...nn/index4.html ?

I said

No dip****.

Arny said

Gee, having trouble with that Tourett's again, sockpuppet?

I don't suffer from Touretts though I do have a friend who does. Thanks for
disparaging a group of often misunderstood people who face a unique challange
in society. You would be stupid enough to infer that Touretts would manifest
itself in writing. I called you a diphit because you are a dip****. thanks for
proving it again dip****.

I said

Those aren't advantages.

Arny said

The joke went over your head again, sockpuppet?

Plagarism and no sense of humor. You are putting on a good show Arny.

I said

I'm talking about the advantages that music lovers would appreciate.

Arny said

The first things most music lovers notice about vinyl are the The tics, the
pops, the rumble, and the gross levels of
FM & AM distortion. The audible FM & AM distortions are almost like veils
that are thrown over the music to conceal it's inner beauty.

How would you know? Besides we are not talking about your crappy rig in
particular. when I talk about the sonic advantages of LP playback It is with a
real highend rig that is correctly set up in mind. I would not expect those
advantages to manifest themselves on your inadequate rig.

I said

You wouldn't understand those advantages.

Arny said

Reading minds again, sockpuppet?

Nope. Only your posts. They tell us a lot about your severe limitations.

I said

Don't you have a soon to be obsolete sound card to measure?

Arny said

Soon to be obsolete (a lie, but I'll go long with your weirdness,
sockpuppet) obviously trumps obsolete for a long time,

I didn't ask you to compare your new sound cards with your ols sound cards.

Arny said

ike much of your
playback system with all those aged generators of gratuitous noise and
distortion.

The end result sounds far more like live music than anything a CD sourced SS
driven pair of NHT 2.5is could ever muster. Arny, I have heard such a system. I
was quite unimpressed.

Arny said

You've loaded up on both thermionic and mechanical noise and distortion
generators, sockpuppet. I'll bet that in your state of delirium, you're
quite proud of yourself!

More sour grapes and class envy.. Bottom line is the end result. You have to
live with your mediocre system.I get to enjoy my excellent system. It burns you
up to see others enjoying equipment you can't afford and don't understand.
Arny Krueger

"R. D. Davis" wrote in message

In article ,
"Rusty Boudreaux" writes:

Even in it's ideal state vinyl is deficient in every measure to
CD except nostalgia.

Excessive wax buildup in your ears can cause you to think that.

Attacks on credibility of people who you don't agree with is one of those
things that makes rec.audio.opinion what it is today.

Sander deWaal

"Arny Krueger" said:

Good Weil, it's about time that you admit that you recognize that Pentodes
are part of a totally-obsolete technology.

Oh, but they are!
A majority of designers use triodes or beam-tetrodes (often wired as
triodes) for their amps nowadays :-)

But tube technology totally obsolete? Not yet. Perhaps in another 30
years or so.

--
Sander deWaal
Vacuum Audio Consultancy
S888Wheel

Since it is so easy and so cheap to copy numeric data including music
all the "proletarian" pirates can listen to great music, jazz... at
nearly no cost !
The Music is not anymore a protected cultural ghetto for high-society
dauphins...
...So venyl mania is now the ultimate refuge for snobs, parvenus or
pretendant. ;-)
Venyls have all the qualities to be *THE* "De Luxe" product, and by the
way the favorite media of wealthy assholes : "you can hear the same
music than me but mine is still better than your"... ;-)

Class envy and sour grapes with a French accent. It still tastes like ****.
Bruce J. Richman

Arny Krueger engages in another unprovoked personal attack and lies again:

[...]

In his Pavlovian, predictable, unprovoked personal attack mode, compulsive liar
Krueger spews forth a train wreck of a sentence that certainly earns both
dissection and of course, our contempt.

Error #1:

Apparently, this sociopathic libeler was so eager to engage in character
assassination as he has done so often that he couldn't even spell my name
correctly. Ironic, indeed, considering that he frequently tries to use
spelling errors and grammatical flaws to smear his many enemies.

Error #2:

Compulsive liar Krueger engages in blatant mind-reading coupled with his usual
bull**** when he claims that I'm trying to "lord it over others with his great
professional expertise". Only a paranoid hatemonger like Krueger would draw
that interpretation from what I said. The vast majority of readers would most
likely read my post for what it was - an explanation of what the initials DSM
stand for and a possible explanation of the syndrome to which the original
poster was referring. Of course, his jealousy and inability to recognize his
own projections of his pathology re. psychologists (whom he has repeatedly
smeared on RAO) are quite obvious in his idiotic "interpretation" and attempt
to falsely describe my post.

Error # 3:

Krueger, once again, tries to lie with statistics by claiming I mention my
credentials once every 3 days on RAO. What, of course, he neglects to mention
is that he has repeatedly engaged in libel against me and a long list of other
people for a period stretching over a 7 year period. He has a documented
record of tyring to use misleading statistical data in the past, for example,
in making idiotic "McDonald's arguments" about the popularity of CD's vs. other
types of media and of course, using alleged averages in making deliberately
deceptive overgenerationis like the ones above. What is far more interesting
are statistics presented by Ed Shain and others indicating that a large number
of different individuals have been the subject of personal attacks by Krueger
on RAO over a long period of time. It is apparent to even the most casual
reviewer, that more different, specific, identifiable individuals have been
personally attacked by Krueger on RAO than by any other individual.

Error #4:

Krueger's laughably obvious lie about my posting about somebody "cussing" only
because I disagree with that person is - like most of Krueger's posts
containing my name - unsupported by any empirical evidence to support his
ridiculous false claim. Of course, he never mentions who that "someone" he
thinks I disagree with is. If he is referring to Pinkerton, it would be fair
to say that I disagree with him on some things and agree with him on some
others.

It is also worth noting that only Krueger, given his twisted and delusional
need to try and start yet another flame war with one of his many enemies, would
try and engage in mind-reading fantasies to inappropriately rationalize yet
another unprovoked personal attack against me. It is as predictable as his
compulsive behavior in which lies, delusional claims about what others have
said or intended, and above all, a chronic tendency to engage in unprovoked
personal attacks against any and all who disagree with his hate-driven agenda
and rigid biases.

There are no known instances of
him doing this with people he agrees with. This is because he's incredibly
biased and motivated by anger and hatred. Of course he lacks the
self-awareness to recognize his own behavior for what it is.

The above false claims, of course, are nothing more than a projection of
Krueger's almost daily tendency to engage in unprovoked personal attacks
against all who disagree with his anti-subjective-preference, anti-tube,
anti-vinyl biases. Giving factual information about matters in which
psychology are involved, such as that given in this thread, have nothing to do
with agreement or disagreement with a particular point of view. Nor can
compulsive liar Krueger support his false claims that such information is only
given at such times. But for a severely paranoid , delusional, lying creature
like Krueger, I suppose it is only to be expected that any and all statements
that are factual and given by one of his many targeted enemies is filtered
through his twisted set of distorted perceptions about what others actually say
and do.

Krueger's above attempts to engage in blatantly paranoid and delusional
mind-reading in connection with my brief explanation of an abbrreviation such
as DSM and reference to Tourette's syndrome (which he both misspells and
misuses when he attacks another poster for using the word "dip****") - provide
quite convincing evidence that he is indeed suffering from a serious thought
disorder.

And for the record, I don't agree with the original poster who referred to
Tourette's, although probably in jest, when he criticized Pinkerton for using
the word "bull****". As I stated in the post that Krueger chose to attack
without any personal provocation, Tourette's refers to various involuntary
motor movements such as tics, grunting, sometimes swearing, etc. There is no
evidence to suggest that Mr. Pinkerton's comments were involuntary. Of
course, Krueger may think they are, but then again, Krueger has many
irrational, illogical, and paranoid thoughts about the large number of people
that he has libeled and smeared.

Bruce J. Richman

Lionel

S888Wheel a écrit :

Since it is so easy and so cheap to copy numeric data including music
all the "proletarian" pirates can listen to great music, jazz... at
nearly no cost !
The Music is not anymore a protected cultural ghetto for high-society
dauphins...
...So venyl mania is now the ultimate refuge for snobs, parvenus or
pretendant. ;-)
Venyls have all the qualities to be *THE* "De Luxe" product, and by the
way the favorite media of wealthy assholes : "you can hear the same
music than me but mine is still better than your"... ;-)

Class envy and sour grapes with a French accent. It still tastes like ****.

Just ask and Scott "Idiot" Wheeler demonstrates... ;-)

Lionel

S888Wheel a écrit :

It still tastes like ****.

I know about your sexual pervertions but not about your dietary
deviations...
Since today you will be well known for your scatophagy !
Can you recommend us a wine ? ;-)

Bruce J. Richman

Scott Wheeler wrote:

I said

[...]

Since Krueger has also this very day engaged in yet another of his reflexive,
highly-conditioned unprovoked personal attacks against me in a threat in which
I mentioned Tourette's Syndrome (note correct spelling viz-a-viz Krueger's
error), his attempt to now use this disease to smear another poster is just
another example of his chronic hypocrisy.

And as I mentioned previously, Tourette's is characterized by a number of
involuntary movements. None of what most on RAO have had to say about
Krueger's hate & envy-driven agenda have anything to do with involuntary
movements. OTOH, Krueger's routine tendency to engage in unprovoked personal
attacks against a large number of different individuals who disagree with him,
*does* appear to be relatively involuntary and conditioned much like the
salivation response elicited by Pavlov in his conditioning research.

I said

Those aren't advantages.

Arny said

The joke went over your head again, sockpuppet?

Plagarism and no sense of humor. You are putting on a good show Arny.

I said

I'm talking about the advantages that music lovers would appreciate.

Arny said

The first things most music lovers notice about vinyl are the The tics, the
pops, the rumble, and the gross levels of
FM & AM distortion. The audible FM & AM distortions are almost like veils
that are thrown over the music to conceal it's inner beauty.

How would you know? Besides we are not talking about your crappy rig in
particular. when I talk about the sonic advantages of LP playback It is with
real highend rig that is correctly set up in mind. I would not expect those
advantages to manifest themselves on your inadequate rig.

Of course, one has to add to this empirical fact, the obvious expectation
biases that Krueger carries towards *all* vinyl playback equipment. In his
"mind" (and I use that term advisedly in referring to him), hearing audible
gross levels of FM & AM distortion are probably about as believable as when he
has claimed that Google talks to him. Note that he never gives any description
of how he "hears" FM & AM distortion, distinguishes between these presumably
different phenomena, nor does he indicate how they approach "gross" levels.

LOL!

But now we can be sure that the average listener, upon hearing vinyl playback
on a suiitably set up rig, immediately says - "oh horrors, there's those nasty
[...]

Lionel

Bruce J. Richman a écrit :

(note correct spelling viz-a-viz Krueger's
error)

"viz-a-viz" or "vis-à-vis" ?

Main Entry: vis-à-vis
Pronunciation: 'vEz-&-'vE, "vEs- also -ä-'vE
Function: preposition
Etymology: French, literally, face-to-face
Date: 1755
1 : face-to-face with
2 : in relation to
3 : as compared with

Bruce J. Richman

Sander deWaal wrote:

(Bruce J. Richman) said:

[...]

It is whispered that listening to vinyl via tube amps has a beneficial
and calming effect on those suffering from Gilles de la Tourette :-)

--
Sander deWaal
Vacuum Audio Consultancy

That sounds like an interesting area for empirical research Of course, we
might also want to do some concurrent research
to see if overexposure to computer sound cards, pro audio SS amplifiers, and CD
players tend to exacerbate the symptoms of Tourette's sufferers. Preliminary
observations suggest that such exposure can result in an involuntary tendency
to engage in unprovoked personal attacks upon others

Bruce J. Richman